Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question How to destroy a carseat?

In two days, my Graco Nautilus will arrive and I want to safely dispose of my FPSE (sad to see it go, it was a great seat -- but it expires on the 21st).

What should I do?

I'm thinking:
    take off the cover and throw away
    don't think my county recycles the foam -- so just bust it up and throw away
    throw away the "na*ed" seat

Any other ideas? TIA!
    Anne
    DD (8) in Graco Turbo Booster; DS (4.5) in Graco Nautilus
    DD (2) in Recaro Young Sport
    Our ride? 2006 Toyota Sienna

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: How to destroy a carseat?

don't throw away the naked shell... some people, believe it or not, will take it and use it.

best to take a sledge hammer to it or a sawzall and cut it to pieces, then write all over the broken pieces, "EXPIRED-- DO NOT USE-- UNSAFE". then dispose in trash bags so as not to advertise the seat.

please, don't burn it, as burning plastic releases horrible carcinogenic toxins.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

I did mine last year and let me tell you that's a harder seat then most to destroy. Normally I just use a sledgehammer, you know to get frustrations out, but I think I ended up using an ax to get it started and then I finished it off in the oven at my dad's shop that they use to melt down motors
    If it seems like I'm not making sense, it's probably just my phone

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    please, don't burn it, as burning plastic releases horrible carcinogenic toxins.
    I used an industrial oven that is certified for that sort of thing where people have special rooms and masks
    If it seems like I'm not making sense, it's probably just my phone

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mominabigtruck View Post
    I used an industrial oven that is certified for that sort of thing where people have special rooms and masks
    well then, be my guest
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Take the cover off, cut the straps, smash the shell and write 'do not use' 'dangerous' on it!

CPS Technician

Um, my DH smashed a found-on-the-roadside-stripped-and strapless Dorel infant seat with the tractor.
    Darn thing was not easy to destroy! I saw it on the side of the road with no cover and no straps half in the woods, so I made him turn around and go back for it. It wasn't even expired yet-barely a year old. LOL He dug holes in the yard with it when it got stuck to the tractor bucket.
    It will be interesting to see if the almost expired Marathon is any easier when it gets it's turn in March.
    Jessi, CPST: 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Toyota Corolla
    T 12/12/06 49" 55 lbs D 1/8/09 44" 50 lbs
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

Here's how I did it (involves used Kitty litter! )

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...697#post621697

For another seat, I did the used kitty litter thing AND dumped old salsa over it.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    don't throw away the naked shell... some people, believe it or not, will take it and use it.

best to take a sledge hammer to it or a sawzall and cut it to pieces, then write all over the broken pieces, "EXPIRED-- DO NOT USE-- UNSAFE". then dispose in trash bags so as not to advertise the seat.

Outlandish, "tarted-up" advice from over 10 years ago is still a hotbed for research on carseat disposal today! ;-)

Visitors may also like to read more current information on used car seats and expiration dates: Does My Car Seat Expire? Do I Really Need to Buy a New One?

https://carseatblog.com/carseatexpiration/
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.
    All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2019, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us