Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Twins on the way

We are expecting twins in early June and have a two almost three year old. What carseats would you recommend for a '92 Toyota Camry - three across? Am I just dreaming that this will be possible or desireable?
    Cheers, Sarah

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Twins on the way

Hi and welcome!

I don't have first hand experience with a Camry, but you could check out the Successful 3 Accross thread and then click "search this thread" at the top right to look for your car. Here is the link: http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t...ght=successful

Is your two year old currently rear facing or forward facing? What seat is he or she using now?

The Camry is a big enough car. I am confident that it is 100% doable. Are you planning on getting infant seats or convertibles for the twins?

If it was me, I would be buying two Graco Safeseats (go to 30 lbs and about a year) and putting a Radian in the middle seat. But if your two year old is still rear-facing, it's possible the Radian would be too tall for the Camry (would hit the back of the front seats). It might not, though. Often rear-facing Radians fit between the front seats and it's a non-issue. You would have to try it out first, though.

The Safeseats would be nice because they have built-in lockoffs, so you won't have to bother with locking clips. The Radian would be nice because it's super narrow and will fit a child up to 5 or 6 yrs old. Also, when the time comes to move the twins to convertibles, the Radian would still be narrow enough to fit between two bigger seats (ie two Marathons, which is also what I would buy ).

But hopefully someone with a Camry can chime in!

Congratulations btw!
    Rebecca- Montreal mama to DD (3.5) FFing in a Radian and DS (1.5) RFing in a Marathon, traveling the countryside in a '98 Saturn SW2 station wagon

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: Twins on the way

We seem to have two ongoing threads about 3 across in the '92 Camry for the original poster. I'm going to link to the one on the Carseats forum at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=65409 and lock this one for simplicity's sake and to avoid more cross-posting.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar