Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Unregistered

WWYD? Outgrowing RF in Marathon

My son is 2 yrs 8 mos RF in a Marathon with a 33 pound limit. He is 32 pounds. Would you buy a new Marathon with the 35 pound limit, or get a Nautilus and turn him FF?

Thank you for your opinions.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: WWYD? Outgrowing RF in Marathon

As he is almost 3 years old and has rear faced to the limits of his current seat, I'd be comfortable with turning him foward facing.

Remember, you made it almost 2 years longer than most! That's great.

If you have the money and don't mind and really want to, I see no problem with buying a 35 lb seat. But I also see no problem with putting him FFing

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

If it were me, I probably would just move forward facing and use the marathon forward facing instead of buying a new Nautilus.
    Katy

Unregistered

I have a baby who is outgrowing her Keyfit, so she would get the 33 pound Marathon.

Carseat Crazy

If there is some reason you would need another Marathon anyway, I'd do it. Like if you are planning on getting a seat for another car or have younger twins they could both be passed onto or something.

Otherwise, I'd feel ok turning him. My daughter was about 2 years 9 months when she had to be turned for the same reason. Mine also hit a growth spurt and gained those last 2 lbs very quickly.

I'd also just turn the Marathon FF instead of getting another seat right now. It's very easy to use FF - just remember to switch the direction of the LATCH connectors if you use LATCH.

btw: I'm not a tech, just opinionated...

I would turn him. If britax hadn't replaced my decathlon with a marathon Elizabeth would be forward facing at 33 lbs.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have a baby who is outgrowing her Keyfit, so she would get the 33 pound Marathon.
    Well, that does change things a little. If I were having to buy another seat due to another baby needing a seat, I might look at the True Fit over the Marathon for the older child as it looks like it has a little more leg room for rearfacing and a slightly higher harness height. It rearfaces to 35 pounds and then goes to 65 pounds forward facing. If you felt your child was ready to forward face though, the nautilus would be a good choice.
    Katy