Question please rec a seat for me....

what do you recommend in this situation?

• rec the nauti

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • rec the frontier

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • rec a dedicated booster (please say which one(s)!!)

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • rec something else? (please tell!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rec tying the child to the bumper.(clicky box)

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
What seat would you recommend for a child who is 6.5 years old, 55 pounds, decent ability to stay seated?
The only stipulation is this..this will be the ONLY carseat this family will buy for this child.
So..for example, if you recommend a nautilus in order to get a little more harnessed time...know that that means this child will be using the nauti as their booster seat, there will not be another seat bought.
Or, you can recommend a "better" dedicated booster, for example maybe a Monterey, so that the child will get the most amount of good boostering, etc.

What do you pick? A combo seat to get the little bit of harnessing, but the tradeoff is the booster might not be the best, or get the "good" booster now?? Or do you feel one of the hwh combo seats (nauti or frontier) *IS* a "good" booster, therefore you can have your cake and eat it too??

thanks.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My rec was a dedicated booster. Seeing as how this family is unwilling to buy any other seat ever for the child, I have to wonder if they would bother to move a harnessed seat to other cars as needed. I'm thinking the Vivo would be the best choice. It's pretty tall and the back doesn't fall off when you pick it up. (Monterrey does) That way there's no temptation to use it backless in a car without head restraint.

mominabigtruck

I agree with safeinthecar. Seriously, how long is he actually going to get out of a nautilus? And if he doesn't use it that long then it just makes it a really overpriced turbobooster.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree with safeinthecar. Seriously, how long is he actually going to get out of a nautilus? And if he doesn't use it that long then it just makes it a really overpriced turbobooster.

:D
ROFL here.....
Actually, I was loading my groceries the other day and glanced into the car beside me, and saw a nauti, YAY! And then i looked over and saw...a BRIGHT BLUE nauti!!! Oh no..wait..fooled me..it was a TB, but I swear, for a second, I saw a blue nauti and was SO thrilled...(hint, hint, graco):whistle:

Anyway....I should add that the family absolutely will use the seat correctly, and will move it, etc as needed, but the plan is for it to be permanantly installed/used in one primary vehicle. Think of it as a situation where the family is willing to put lots of time, care and concern into it, just not lots of money with a string of seats for a 6.5 year old.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
At 6.5 and 55 lbs already, I'm not sure how much, if any, time the child will have in a nauti harness. I would recommend a dedicated booster. I don't have much experience in that department beyond the TB though. Sorry.

mominabigtruck

:D
ROFL here.....
Actually, I was loading my groceries the other day and glanced into the car beside me, and saw a nauti, YAY! And then i looked over and saw...a BRIGHT BLUE nauti!!! Oh no..wait..fooled me..it was a TB, but I swear, for a second, I saw a blue nauti and was SO thrilled...(hint, hint, graco):whistle:

Anyway....I should add that the family absolutely will use the seat correctly, and will move it, etc as needed, but the plan is for it to be permanantly installed/used in one primary vehicle. Think of it as a situation where the family is willing to put lots of time, care and concern into it, just not lots of money with a string of seats for a 6.5 year old.

Well Dallas is almost exactly the same stats as what you gave and he tried it in walmart and he had like maybe 1/2in in it, and that was over the summer. I'm certainly one that loves to buy a new seat but to me that's just throwing money away:twocents:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

Well, in that case they COULD get a Frontier and get a bit more harness time. It's insanely tall as a booster and it is pretty much a sure thing that the child won't outgrow it before he fits the seat belt, but when he gets to the age where he is going on school field trips and such the Frontier will be a little cumbersome. But it does make an excellent booster and it won't get outgrown too soon.

Here's some pics I just took of our new Frontier. The first on is DS, who is ultra thin, the second one is DD2, who is built heavier, and the third one is me, showing how the frontier does fit a 5'5" tall woman.

Last edited:

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
For a 6.5 year old, I'd go with a dedicated booster. I would make sure it's a booster that converts to a backless since it's the last seat they will buy.

U

Unregistered1

Any younger kids or plans for younger kids? Is the child tall? Does the vehicle have head rests?

IF there are no younger kids and the vehicle has head rests I would go for a dedicated booster.

If not, I would go for the Frontier. M has outgrown every booster on the market except the Frontier in booster mode, and since I don't have head rests that's what we had to do. I very much like it in booster mode.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I now want a Frontier (I am 5'5") so that I can sit properly in my almost-step-mom's Rav4 (I do not pass the 5-step test in that front seat, lol.)

U

Unregistered1

I now want a Frontier (I am 5'5") so that I can sit properly in my almost-step-mom's Rav4 (I do not pass the 5-step test in that front seat, lol.)

I don't pass the five step test in the van the daycare uses (scary, because we have 4 y/os in seat belts in that van since they don't "legally" have to be in a booster... yeah, nothing I can do). I told one of my coworkers I was going to bring M's Frontier for myself if I ever have to ride in it again, LOL. And I totally should, it would sure get people talking about boosters!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC