Other Stuff from Sunshine Kids

B

bucket2

I had time to wander a bit in the CR aisle today and was again annoyed at the add on/after market products displayed next to the car seats. There were the usual head support inserts and even a generic car seat cover. What surprised me was the products like "Mighty Tite," "SoftWrap," and others by Sunshinekids - the makers of the RADIAN seat. They're even promoting on the web site that these products have been tested (I couldn't bring myself to look :eek: ).

www.sunshinekidsjp.com

If the mfg. actually did research and testing, why didn't they learn that after market products are not recommended, supported, or allowed by the folks at CPS? Anyone else wonder about this?

Same with the new Graco SafeSeat for toddlers. If they did all this research to make the seat better/safer, why is the harness limit still only 40 lbs.?

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I don't reccomend aftermarket products b/c for the most part, they haven't been tested. These products are obviously different b/c the people making them have tested w/ THEIR seats, I think that's the part that needs to be remembered. Still though, it's just something that doesn't need to be used (and I'm not sure it would help my ffing install problems w/ the Radian anyways). :)

As for the Safeseat, at least they made the strap slots a lot higher than on the ComfortSport.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Sorry to hijack but has anyone measured the SS2's harness slots? I need to know for a friend and cant do it myself (broken wrist)

I think its like the stuff graco sells on their website, its approved by the manufacturer so you're allowed to use it. The "cuddle soft" (which is new) is shown being used in a radian along with the lock tight chest clip (or does the radian have this clip normally?)

OT, but was the radian originally called the profile? I found a PDF file on my computer that was a promotion for the profile folding car seat that looks nearly identical to the radian. Anyone know why they changed the name?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It was the profile. I have no idea why they changed the name.

I know it's ok to use after market products for a specific seat if by that manufacturer, but generally they're a bad idea and may as well be avoided all together. If it didn't come with the seat you probably don't need it.

Wendy

Dillipop

I don't know the measurements of the SS2's slots, but they are comparable to the cargo and marathon. When I tried DS in the SS2, he had about the same amount of room above his shoulders as in both the other seats. In fact, if the SS2 had been out when we were replacing DS's evenflo, I would have gotten it over the cargo, since we will not be using the cargo as a booster anyway and the SS2 looks pretty comfy and pretty sturdy.

Lara

DOS the ss2's harness height is about 17". They seem higher in the cheaper models that dont have a billion extra pillows and such. It Think that the pillows lift the kids up more and thats why It seems shorter on the more padded version.

Lara

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's the normal chest clip for the Radian.

The Cuddle Soft looks nice as I wondered what you'd do w/ an infant in the Radian, but I'm not sure I could use it despite it being approved by the manufacturer. lol Too much of me tells me that's wrong!

The Snug Bug infant seat cover looks nice, do you think it would fit on a Safeseat?

ETA (again): I know they say these are safe and tested, but even if used w/ the Radian, some of those things are NOT safe. That kinda bugs me that they make those. I can understand extras for the seats, but the window shades and toys...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's still all about consumerism.... Consumers are going to buy stuff -- Sunshine Kids & all other carseat manufactufers are held to federal safety standards for the carseats, so on that issue I'm not concerned -- NHTSA enforces the regulations on carseats so as long as the Radian fits the child & vehicle & will be used correctly everytime all's good :cool: Sunshine Kids isn't the only carseat manufacturer who markets add-ons: Dorel Juvenile & Graco do as well.... They could certainly be crash tested, but the problem is that there just isn't any safety standard or regulatory agency enforcing add-on standards. Items that have traditionally been sold as add-ons that are now becoming sold WITH the carseats as parts listed in the manuals, however, have been crash tested to conform with safety standards so these are safe to use. It's the extra add-ons like Mighty Tight etc. not sold as a part of any carseat that pose risks....

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's true, I was just thinking about how much stuff Dorel puts out the other night when I was at Target.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC