Carseat misuse at the zoo and possible seat check venue?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
We spent half a day at the Detroit Zoo today and had a great time, but I did notice some cringeworthy carseat situations.

Near where we parked, I noticed an SUV with a forward facing infant seat on the front passenger seat. Nobody was in the vehicle and it was still parked there when we left. I can only hope they brought the infant seat along to use as a carrier and don't buckle a baby into it in that spot in the car, ugh. I had purged excess stuff out of my messenger bag to allow room for snacks and water bottles, so I didn't have anything with me to even leave a note on the windshield, argh.

I also saw babies riding in infant seats clipped onto strollers who were too tall for the infant seats. I'm talking about babies with their head above the seat shell in several instances. Presumably they're still riding in the infant seats in the car or else why would they use them with the stroller anymore? I know infant seats often have very generous canopies to shield from the sun, and it's very sunny today. But the babies I noticed who had less than an inch of headroom didn't have the canopies over them, probably because they were too tall for the canopies anyway. I can only guess their parents/caregivers thought it would be easier to use the infant seat instead of just the stroller in case the babies fell asleep for transferring back into the car where they wouldn't be properly restrained. :mad: It was tempting to approach a couple of people with the outgrown infant seats but I held back because of how negatively people can react. :(

A suggestion/idea for the techs out there: With so many patrons with carseat age children, wouldn't zoos in general be a good place to do a seat check? Or maybe use the zoo as a venue to publicize a seat check or promote CPS in general if the zoo would agree to hand out flyers at the admission gate? Just a thought inspired by what I saw today.

ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Hi Jean, You were a mile from my house if you were at the zoo :) They do do checks at the zoo, there was one during car seat week and it was supposed to have been huge. I am so disappointed that I didn't know about it and instead drove to Taylor (45minutes away) to Volunteer at one at Oakwood hospital... I will do more research next time. LOL I hate seeing babies in seats that are improper for them. I actually came accross a less then 2 year old in a car Alone, in a Booster today!! I Always look into cars as I walk through parking lots, and I noticed a baby in a booster as I walked past. I was at one of the residential placement centers I have to visit for work. So, I walked right back up to the door and saw a man on the inside who I Know works there. I asked him if he had a red car. He said yes, why? I stated well, there is a baby out there all alone in the car and I am concerned when babies are left alone in cars. He states "well I was looking out at him every few minutes". I actually stood by the car until he removed the baby and brought him inside. The baby was in a big kid booster with the seat belt Behind his Back. I was so fumin mad!
Wow Was that totally off topic or What!! Sorry to thread jack...

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Great to know they already do seat checks at the Detroit Zoo, thanks for letting me know. And thank goodness you helped get the unattended baby out of the car!

I live about an hour's drive due west from the zoo, and we usually go to the zoo once or twice a year. We decided to go today instead of on a weekend because they keep closing I-696 for construction on the weekends and I don't know a good alternate route, lol.

I heard AAA is holding their 2nd annual Strollerthon at the Detroit Zoo on July 15 to raise funds for Safe Kids. I don't think I'll be able to make it though because I have a family reunion the next day to prepare for, and can't convince DH (the curmudgeon) to do another family activity on the same weekend. :rolleyes: Maybe next year. :)

j4m4d8

People seem to respond well if you admire the baby a bit, ask how old it is, and then say something like "Wow, it looks like she's outgrown her car seat already." I get lots of great responses, anyway; it's hard to say if they actually act on the conversation.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That would be a great idea! I think our zoo was voted best in the US, at least this side of CA anyways. lol It wouldn't be possible except the baseball stadium is right across the street and as long as there's no game, there's plenty of room. I'm not sure how many people would come though b/c either they want to hurry and get to the zoo or they've been at the zoo al day and they're too tired.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC