First FFing Ride

mimieliza

DD rode FFing this week for the first time. :eek: She's two years old, and 30 lbs. fully clothed, which was always my personal minimum for FFing. She is also above the RFing height limit for our Roundabout. The RA has been out of commission for a few months for this reason, but we were traveling by air and wanted to take the RA rather than our beastly EFTA or BV.

I was conflicted, but I feel okay about it. The RA is an AWESOME seat for air travel. We had so much to lug around, I can't imagine trying to get the BV or EFTA through the airport.

Now that we're back home, she'll be back to RFing in my car and DH's (in the BV and EFTA respectively), but will ride FFing in her RA once a week in her babysitter's car.

I know some people would not choose to use the RA, but I feel okay about it now for occasional use. She rear-faced to the limits of that seat. It is a great, safe seat, and I would rather her be FFing at this point in the RA, than drop $40-$50 on a Scenera with no EPS foam. Plus, seeing as we have three carseats (four if you count the SS1) for two cars, DH might go insane if I buy another seat now.

And I hate to say this, but she loved FFing. :eek: She gave me a running commentary during all of our drives - "There's a truck, Mommy! I see it! I can see its spinning wheels! Red means stop, Mommy! There's a bus! Don't biff the cars, Mommy!" :)

I don't think we'll have trouble keeping her RFing most of the time, though, since she's still really comfy RFing, too.

ADS

NannyMom

Wow, little baby girl is growing up! Did you cry? Did she seem confused when you first put her in? Did she struggle with where to put her feet?

My DD is about a month older (but 5 pounds lighter) than your DD. I think I will cry during her first FF ride :eek: We have 7 seats for 4 cars (including 2 grandparents') and will soon be buying an 8th to keep her RF..she's getting too tall.

Kat_Momof3

I would have done the same thing... I bet you didn't travel by car much of anywhere when you were there... and on the plane, rf/ff isn't as big of a difference in safety, especially for a kid her age and size.

I'm sure she sees plenty when she's rf... she just forgets you are right there to talk to.

Time to encourage her to point out what she sees!

I think it's not only great you rf'd her as long as you did, but that you'll continue to do it now that you are back.

ffing so that you can use the smaller and lighter weight seat for a short trip or two is not the worst thing in the world.

I'm glad she had fun, though... Ruthie was scared (TERRIFIED) senseless the first MONTHS she ff'd.

mimieliza

Wow, little baby girl is growing up! Did you cry? Did she seem confused when you first put her in? Did she struggle with where to put her feet?

She was not confused, we had just gotten off a six-hour flight, and we were in a car she had never been in, so I think it just seemed like one more strange thing in a new environment. I also think that has helped her go back to RFing without any complaint now that we're back in our own car. And given the long flight and general confusion, I barely had time to think about it, except to notice that she really looked grown up sitting in that FFing seat. :)

I would have done the same thing... I bet you didn't travel by car much of anywhere when you were there... and on the plane, rf/ff isn't as big of a difference in safety, especially for a kid her age and size.

I'm sure she sees plenty when she's rf... she just forgets you are right there to talk to.

Time to encourage her to point out what she sees!

I think it's not only great you rf'd her as long as you did, but that you'll continue to do it now that you are back.

ffing so that you can use the smaller and lighter weight seat for a short trip or two is not the worst thing in the world.

I'm glad she had fun, though... Ruthie was scared (TERRIFIED) senseless the first MONTHS she ff'd.

She does talk about what she sees, but it is harder to see, what with the headrest and the wings of her BLVD. Plus, I can't see what she's talking about, so it's hard to converse. Not a big deal, though, we usually listen to music and sing and talk about that, anyway.

We did a fair amount of car travel on the island, I wish she could have been RFing. I was actually trying to convince myself that it would be okay (her head is even with the top of the seat, maybe a tad over), but finally decided that the RA is safer as a properly-used FFing seat than as an outgrown RFing seat.

Now we're back to RFing 90% of the time, and I'm comfortable with that. It will be very helpful for DD's sitter to have a seat for her, and they will only be taking short trips once a week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC