RV travel question

JustJack

We are going to be traveling in an RV in a few weeks and I was wondering what to do with my 17 month old. The only seatbelt there is (besides the driver) the the front passanger position. What do I do? What is the law regarding children and RV travel?

ADS

Maedze

If it's just the two of you (and the passenger seat has an airbag turn off switch) you drive and the baby goes rear facing in the passenger seat.

If there's a third adult, you need to get a car and follow behind....you can't have one person unrestrained :(

Pixels

I don't know if your 17mo old is still RFing. If your child is front facing and you want to know why RFing is recommended so strongly here, just ask, or google it.

Never traveled in an RV, but friend has with granddaughter still harnessed. She said inside the cabin in like couch seats were seat belts. So, check the RV manual or manufacturer before assuming no other belts.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Never traveled in an RV, but friend has with granddaughter still harnessed. She said inside the cabin in like couch seats were seat belts. So, check the RV manual or manufacturer before assuming no other belts.

Those aren't safe.

The seatbelts aren't reinforced, they are just bolted to wood, and no one should ride facing the side in a moving vehicle.

The only safe places when the vehicle is moving are the front seatbelted seats.

Maedze

You can't use those for car seats. Maybe with some exceptions, but most aren't reinforced and many are on side facing seats.

JustJack

He's still RFing, don't worry!;) I thought people could ride in RV's without seatbelts, just like a bus.

Last edited:

fyrfightermomma

He's still RFing, don't worry!;) I thought people could ride in RV's without seatbelts, just like a buss.

The crash mechanics of a bus are very different than an RV. A bus utilizes something called compartmentilization where occupants are seperated by high seats that are soft (most of the time). They act to keep the occupant from hitting other people or leaving the seat itself. You kinda just ram into that. First your knees hit, then your trunk and head follow and the seat gives a little to absorb the force. Everything sort of moves in a straight line preventing any serious force on the head or neck (you hope anyways).

On an RV it's pretty much open. You will just fly around to wherever with nothing to stop you from getting ejected or slamming into other people. You hit whatever's in front of you, to the side of you etc. RV's also tend to be used for traveling meaning high speed highways and freeways where school buses tend to stay at slower speeds/residential roads etc. I'm not sure how the no seatbelt thing works on non school type buses though like tour buses/greyhounds etc. Maybe someone can chime in on that

So they work a little different.

Now laws are a different story. I have no clue about RV laws

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC