Toyota Sienna 2nd row

jmir

We're borrowing a friend's van for a few weeks because we'll be traveling with family. Last night when we swapped cars with her, I was looking after the baby and she and my husband installed the car seat in her Sienna. She put it on the right hand side in the second row. That's where she had the seat when her child was in a car seat. She used the seat belt and not latch.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere (here maybe?) that you couldn't install a car seat using a seat belt that's attached to the door frame like that. The whole belt extends all the way to the door. Can I reinstall in the same location using the Latch anchors or do I need to move the baby over to behind the driver? I know it's a dumb question but I don't have the vehicle manual.

ADS

cantech

Usually when talking about not installing a carseat with a seat belt that attaches to the doorframe it is actually the door itself that they are referring to. If the seatbelt is anchored to a moving part of the door that's not okay. If the seatbelt is anchored to a non-moving part near the door that's usually okay.

Not knowing the details on your child or the vehicle it's hard to say if latch would be okay. Being Canadian there don't appear to be weight limits to our latch anchors but my understanding is that that is not so in the US.

Hope this helps.

jmir

Thanks, my baby is 4 months old so he's under the Latch weight limit, I just wasn't sure if the problem with the right hand side of a van (effectively the middle) was seatbelt specific or applies to Latch too. I sure feel safer with him in my car just because a car is easier to drive and takes up less lane so I'm getting paranoid about the seat installation. No time for a seat check because it's a borrowed car.

cantech

If your baby is under the limits of the latch system you may find a latch install more convenient for accessing the 3rd row. Generally its safest to keep children closer to the centre of the vehicle which may help prevent injury in the case of intrusion. If you can get a good install with latch and you feel more secure with it go for it.

B

bucket2

You have heard that seat belts attached to the door are not to be used. This refers to the "automatic" seat belts that were more popular in the early 90's.

In the newer Sienna I rode in, there were 3 seating positions in the second row, but the seat belt was attached to the side of the van, not the door.

LATCH / seat belt is your call - is it in tight and at a 45 degree angle? Then you're good to go. Also, if you can recline the seat back at all when you install, that will help make the CR install even tighter because you put the seat back upright.

Finally, the only other reason to move CR or use LATCH is if you need access to the 3rd row. LATCH or moving the seat would be a good idea in this case as it's hard to get in/out through the seat belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC