DH and BIL want data

rodentranger

regarding rf tethering vs. not tethering.
Neither of them believe that rebound/cocooning can possibly be as safe as a tethered seat.
Dh is coming from a "logic" aspect ("How can allowing the seat to move be better than keeping the seat and therefore the occupant stationary? I wear my seat belt to hold me into my seat. It doesn't move.") and BIL is coming from the viewpoint of having worked on race teams and race seat safety.
Can anyone link me to studies with hard data? Front impact, rear impact, side impact....Are most of the crash tests done at 38 mph? Are there any "real life" statistics?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#toptetherRF
That's a good start, the 'Top Tether, rear-facing' entry...it gives some commentary on the whole situation. I'm afraid there are not enough rf tethered seats for them to have a body of injury data to draw from (except Sweden which has an extraordinarily low rate of injury and RF-tethers their seats, but they may have just as good results without tethering, just by virtue of kids sitting RF through the preschool years there...)

rodentranger

And don't the Swedish also have the foot prop? Aren't their cars equipped from the manufacturer with rf tether anchors also?

barnmama25

Here is a study The U Of VA conducted, very interesting that they are testing seats that do not allow rf tethering and yet they still performed well.

barnmama25

And don't the Swedish also have the foot prop? Aren't their cars equipped from the manufacturer with rf tether anchors also?

Yes they do have the foot prop's, but these are necessary since they rear face to higher weights. I do not believe they have rf tether anchors per say like we have for forward facing. The rf tethers are two tether straps coming out of the back of the car seat and then two d-rings that you weave through the vehicle seat bite and out through the back, and then the steel in the front seat becomes it's anchor point. At least that's how it appears from pictures, please correct me if I am wrong.

canadiangie

Here is a study The U Of VA conducted, very interesting that they are testing seats that do not allow rf tethering and yet they still performed well.

Amy,

I love this study. I remember reading it over and over many years ago, it fascinated me then, and it still does today. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting it. :)

minismom

Not all of the Swedish car seats have a foot prop. But they do have two tether straps instead of just one. They are also certified to be used in cars without designated RF tether anchors, and the manual explains how to tether to the front seat, like a PP mentioned.
I don't think there's anything about Sweden that would make tethering there safer than tethering here.

On the tether vs no tether debate, a lot of ppl say dont tether for a newborn because of increased neck load on rebound but tether for a child a bit older. I think we all kind of agree that there will be slightly more force on the child's neck during the rebound in a frontal crash but that the tether offers a big advantage in side impact crashes. At least that's what I took from that article.

Adventuredad

Swedish seats can be used with or without foot prop. If no foot prop is used seats are leaned against dashboard or seat in front. The foot prop is a relatively new feature with manyseats. My Britax Nordic Freeway didn't have one when purchased in 2005. Not all cars have dedicated tether anchors. It's very easy to tether seats without dedicated anchors.

There is nothing special with Swedish cars etc. Using tethering the way we do would work equally well anywhere in the world. There are no seats which are tethered forward facing. But we also move directly from rear facing to hbb at age 4-5 so it's not applicable for us.

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You've got some great answers, but I wanted to address your dh's specific comments.

Dh is coming from a "logic" aspect ("How can allowing the seat to move be better than keeping the seat and therefore the occupant stationary? I wear my seat belt to hold me into my seat. It doesn't move.")

Actually, it does move. It stretches to help absorb crash forces. Ask him to think about this - if he's jumping off a 30-story building, what will protect him better; a stiff rope wrapped around his waste, or a bungee cord attached to a harness? Why does the bungee cord work better? (Because it distributes the forces.)

That's not to say that RF tethering isn't safer - we really don't know. But his argument that "no movement at all is safer" is flawed. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC