I asked the pediatrician to research ERF....

My DS had his 4 yr check-up. She asked him do you always sit in your booster seat in the car? She looked suprised when he said "NO, I sit in my car seat". I had my teeny weeny 21 month old with me too. After all the routine stuff - I simply said will you do me a favor? She said sure, and I continued "will you research ERF and harnessing vs booster and read for at least 10 minutes?" She looked a little perplexed and as I explained further she ended up saying there is no way she would RF until 35 pounds. I said "don't say that until you watch crash test videos" - and explained the whole Sweden thing (to which she said, "over there, where they care about their kids"-lol). I reminded her people expect her to give them the safest advice. She was over all very pleasant and I think she will really do the research. We'll see.......

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

Yay!

My Ped told me turn around my DD2 at a year and she was only 18 lbs. When I pointed out the Sweden thing she reluctantly agreed to keep her RF a little longer but the turn her FF when her knees bent against the back of the seat. I flipped her FF after her 18 month appt after doc pressure but flipped her back 3 months later when I found this website. Maybe I should ask her to look it up too!

jessclear

That's awesome that you brought it up. I hope she does research it. I think that most older docs (those out of school more than a few years) are just not up to date on the newer guidelines. They don't see any reason to change until they are shown the research. It's awesome that you challenged your ped to do her own research. :thumbsup:

I was received well when I told my Pedi that I was keeping DD rf. She didn't hit 20lbs until close to 18mo and at that check up she told me she could FF now. I told her I would rf to the limits. She said oh, ok, that's good, but not much else. When my DH rotated through the Peds office a couple months ago, he took in tons of ERF, EH information for them. They were very receptive and asked for him to bring in research and materials for them to pass out to parents. I feel so much better that they have the better information. I can only hope that they continue to pass out that info to parents.

christineka

That's great! I was going to give info to our ped at the 1 year checkup, but she had just read the article in Pediatrics and recommended ds stay rfing longer. I was really surprised and happy.

Good for you! That is great you brought it up. I brought it up to my ped and she basically just Laughed at me!

I think I would consider a new ped. If she's that hung up on her own knowledge - and she's wrong - what about something that may come up with your child? Even if my ped doesn't change, she was willing to listen and consider alternatives.

I think I would consider a new ped. If she's that hung up on her own knowledge - and she's wrong - what about something that may come up with your child? Even if my ped doesn't change, she was willing to listen and consider alternatives.

:whistle: That is why right now Walgreens Take home health clinic is our doctor :whistle: (looking for a new doctor at the moment)

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. Happy hunting. I know this is a rarity, but my ped stills see you at the office any hour of the day or night (no sending your call to a hospital) and makes multiple phone calls (as an alternate to admissions/ER) to follow up on a sick kid. So don't give up until you find one you know is the one!

Karen

I think someone on here should help us make a pamphlet to hand to our peds with crash study stats and links to videos. My ped had never even heard of it. I think if I gave her something like that that she may look at it.

Andie

Good job! When I asked my son's doctor if he has heard of it, he just said "I don't mind it". When I asked if he recommended it, he changed the subject. :thumbsdown:

I just gave the nurse who does my home visits a big packet of info from rear facing to booster. She seemed more interested and sees kids in the home a lot.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think I'm in the minority here. Our doctor is pretty lukewarm about carseat stuff, but she's a great doctor. I'm sticking with her.

Adventuredad

And that's part of why so many kids die in traffic..... When mentioning Swedes and rear facing until 4-5 the thing about "they care and love their children more" often come up. It's of course not true, it's nonsense. We don't love our kids more than anyone else.

Parents are "trained" from very early on that rear facing is best so this becomes default thinking. Forward facing at age 2 or 3 is not even discussed.

This might sound strange but I've never talked to a ped/doctor who said anything about rear facing for a toddler. It's rear facing and nothing else but I think it would still be nice peds mentioned something.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They might be more likely to mention it if you were from another country they knew was not as good about car seat usage, if you know what I mean. Like, my first few visits at the low-income clinic we attend for my youngest, I got asked every time. Eventually I had lectured all of their pediatricians on proper car seat usage and I think they put a note in my file because they don't even ask most of my visits now, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC