2 1/2 year old in a booster

sarsah

My jaw is still hanging on the ground.....
My MIL e-mailed me this morning asking if she could borrow a booster seat (she knows I have a 'collection') to use for my niece (2 1/2 years old) for the holiday weekend. At first I thought she meant harnessed seat and just said booster meaning 'car seat' in general. I read the e-mail again and saw that it clearly said 'booster with a high back'. She said she thought it was silly to spend $40 for a seat that would only be used for 4 days (nevermind the fact that she has a Graco Comfortsport or something like that in her garage from the last time my SIL and niece came on the airplane).

I immediately e-mailed her back and said that I thought my niece was way too small & young to be in a booster, even just for the weekend. I reminded her that my 5 year old just moved from a harnessed seat to a booster a few months ago. The 'spare' booster I have is a Compass B510 -- I hoped it had a 40 lb. weight limit, but no luck, it's 30 lbs. I'm not even sure my niece weighs 30 lbs.

I am guessing my niece rides in a booster full-time at home too, but I really don't know for sure. I'm not close with my SIL so anything I say falls on deaf ears anyway.

I just got an e-mail back from MIL asking when we'll be home in the morning so she can pick up the booster. I think I'll offer her DS's old Marathon (which is currently listed for sale on Craigslist) and see if she'll take that instead. If not, I guess I'll be saying a prayer all weekend that they don't get into a wreck. DH said it would be rude to e-mail MIL links to crash videos, but maybe that would get the point across.

UPDATE: I am breathing a sigh of relief. MIL just came by and was basically clueless about car seats, which I kind of figured. She said niece is 35 lbs. I showed her both seats and said the Marathon was much safer for a child niece's age and size. She said, great, can you install it for me, which of course I did. Now the fun comes when she gets to the airport and SIL sees a harnessed seat and not a booster. Oh well, at least the baby will be safe for this weekend. I'm just glad the Marathon hadn't sold yet. DH was great, mentioning how DS#2 just grew out of the Marathon around when he turned 5. Maybe I'll have my 5 year old ask neice (while SIL is in ear shot) how she likes his old car seat.

Last edited:
ADS

NVMBR02

I am probably rude but I don't think I could give the booster to MIL. I would simply offer the Marathon. If I felt it would help the situation then I would email the crash test videos, esp. if MIL had any weight with SIL.

It is so tough when the misuse is family.

christineka

I would definitely not give mil the booster. If she takes it anyway, call the police for theft! I know I wouldn't want to be a party to that.

Isn't your booster dirty or lost at the moment? Didn't you lend your booster to a friend the other night and all you have is the marathon? :whistle:
That is what I would do....:whistle::eek:
That is what I did when My friend wanted to borrow one of my boosters for her 2 1/2 year old instead a chase ended up going home with her ;-)! LOL!

Mommy0608

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that... family issues can be really difficult.

I wouldn't do it. Whether you make up an excuse or not, that's up to you. If it were me, I wouldn't loan the booster simply because if something did happen I'd feel terrible, because I knew better. :(

sarsah

I thought about making up some excuse why she can't use it, but then she'll just go buy the cheapest HBB she can find. At least if she comes over, I'll have the chance to try and change her mind. Hopefully my DH (her son) will be home when she comes over and will say something because she tends to listen to him.

Kat_Momof3

I would email her first and let her know you have the Marathon... tell her the weight and height limits and how long it typically lasts.

Not only will it not cost her anything, but knowing it won't only last for this visit may really make her more open to it.

And that way she will be able to read it, take it in, and think before just trying to hurry out the door.

I would not give her the booster, though.

I would rather MAKE her have to go buy an Evenflo Chase booster for 60 dollars that would harness the kiddo first than be party to her putting that baby in a seatbelt booster.

NannyMom

I thought about making up some excuse why she can't use it, but then she'll just go buy the cheapest HBB she can find. At least if she comes over, I'll have the chance to try and change her mind. Hopefully my DH (her son) will be home when she comes over and will say something because she tends to listen to him.

I think the cheapest HBB is around $40-50. She should just get a Scenera for that ;)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
not that i have any idea if this is the case here or not, but I do want to speak up and say that EVERYONE I know who isn't like..a member here, lol, refers to COMBINATION seats as "boosters". Even when the child is riding in it in harnessed mode, they still CALL the seat a "booster" or sometimes even a "booster with the high back" because they have no clue about the terminology. so it is POSSIBLE that she is referring to any FF only combo seat as a "booster with the highback".
I used to freak out a lot too, because it seemed like every post or person i met was someone with a 2 or 3 year old in a "booster" come to find out probably half of those were like chases, coso higbacks, etc and the kid was in a harness, but the parent called it a "booster" seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC