Question SnugRide: front adj. vs. rear adjust

rodentranger

I keep seeing it mentioned that if you have a SR, you shoudl make usr eit's a front adjust one. Why is that?
I am borrowing my SIL's 10/07 DOM SR for the new baby, but it is rear adjusted. I understand how that would make it a bit of a PITA to adjust the straps, but is that it?

ADS

itzmeigh

Yes, that's it.

The rear adjust tends to be a little tricky to get right so it is misused a good bit.

Remember that the straps need to be snug so you can't pinch the harness together along the shoulders and the hips. (You should pinch in line with the harness)

As long as you get the harness tight it doesn't really matter how it adjusts. Just front adjusters are easier and so are used correctly more often.

(Unless it is a 3 point rear adjust and then a 5 point is safer. There are some 3 point SRs but I forget when they went to the 5 point so I thought I'd toss that out there.)

NVMBR02

It is harder to adjust the straps and because of the sometime parents don't adjust them when needed. If you know how to adjust the straps and do it as needed it really isn't a problem. I used a rear adjust one for awhile with my dd and never had an issue with it.

rodentranger

Okay cool. It will only be in my car, so I'm cool with it just being an ease of use issue. I'm a check the straps every time I put the baby in the seat person anyway. And I get on Daddy's case when he doesn't adjust it properly! :whistle:
It is a 5 point harness. I would be buying my own seat if it were a 3-pt. We're only using this one until he is big enough for the MA or the ARF TF is released, whichever comes first.

sparkyd

Just wanted to add another voice saying that the rear-adjust is fine as long as you don't mind fiddling all the time. I've got a rear-adjust Snugride (didn't know the difference when we got it) and it's mostly just frustrating when you're in a hurry. I'd rather have front adjust (so that is what I recommend to others), but not enough to buy a new seat when #2 comes along.

Mommy090804

I just wanted to add a positive note...

We had a rear-adjust SR for DD and DS. I found it really easy to tighten the straps. In fact, when I moved them to MAs, I was frustrated b/c with the single adjuster on the MA, I found it difficult to tighten the harness straps as well as I could with the SR.

Method for tightening the rear-adjust SR straps: obviously the straps can be tightened separately. Fasten the buckles and chest clip, then push/pull the slack through to the back of the seat (before the metal). Once the slack in the straps is at the back of the seat, pull on the end of the harness strap to achieve adequate tightness, and repeat with the other strap. It really isn't a big deal since the straps are usually adjusted when the baby is out of the car. In fact, once you are not removing the seat from the car (ie. carrying it around anymore), I found it quite easy to adjust the straps even with the seat installed in the car.

Just my personal experience, but I didn't find the rear-adjust SR to be so bad...:twocents:

rodentranger

I actually don't plan on carrying the infant seat. I didn't even have a bucket for DS. I'm only using it it to try to get to when the ARF TF is released. LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC