WWYD? Booster or 5-point?? SNoW

mykidsmylife

So we have about 6" of snow on the ground and it is supposed to snow off and on utnil tomorrow.

Johnathon rode the bus to school as I feel it is safer since they are German drivers who have lived here their entire lives. They know the roads better then me. The roads are plowed.

However, I am going to pick him up from school.

Should I put him back in the Apex until the snow clears, or does it not matter?
He still fits but sits perfect in the booster.

TIA!
signed,
Paranoid mommy who moved here from the desert of TX.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, 5 pt is safer than booster. Every step up in car seats (RF to FF, FF to booster) is a step down in safety. So me, I would put him in the Apex.

mykidsmylife

Thanks that is what I was thinking.

I don't even know why I asked.

Can he sit in it safely with snow bibs? I know not the coat but would snow bibs be okay?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, there is still going to be compression. Try with and without and check to difference in the harness.

mykidsmylife

Ugh!!! Okay. I am hoping the school send him out w/o them on but I doubt it.
I figure it would most likely cause compression around the hip area since there is nothing to interefere with his shoulders.... Make sense.

I HATE the winter!!!!! I really miss El Paso. :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wouldn't worry as much about bibs as I do jacket. Reason? There isn't as much stuff under the harness, but still.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... but if the bibs are puffy, you can pull them down to his knees! (just plan ahead and bring a blanket for him to snuggle with and also let him use his coat backwards over the buckles.)

keri1292

Is this your first time driving in snow?

If so, try to get to an empty parking lot to test out your driving. The antilock brakes feel weird and it's nice to practice straightening out your car when it slides on the ice. IMO, it makes it less shocking when it happens on the road. That's how I learned to drive in the snow. Doing lots of donuts in the aboned schools parking lot! :D

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Is this your first time driving in snow?

If so, try to get to an empty parking lot to test out your driving. The antilock brakes feel weird and it's nice to practice straightening out your car when it slides on the ice. IMO, it makes it less shocking when it happens on the road. That's how I learned to drive in the snow. Doing lots of donuts in the aboned schools parking lot! :D

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

I grew up in Alaska and first learned how to drive on snow. This is the absolute best way to learn how to handle your car in snow! You need to learn how it responds to sliding.

Also - GO SLOW. Number one rule for driving in snow is simply to slow down. :)

BW1426

I am a born and raised Northern Michigan girl so snowy driving is a way of life. My greatest concern about driving on snowy roads is roll overs and I think a child benefits substantially from a 5 point harness in that case. If he still fits in the Apex, I'd use it.

I agree with everyone else on how to practice if you haven't driven in snow.

I would so put him in a 5-point harness..... I am so worried about my son without a 5-point harness, I wish I could put him back in a 5-point especially in the winter.....

I live in the suburbs of chicago and grew up driving in crazy snow.

christineka

Yeah about practicing. I was a new mom in NH (grew up in CA) when one day I had to drive a very far distance in the snow. It was awful and scary. Now I live where there is much less snow, but still try to drive as little as possible in it. Dh got me new tires one snowy day after he drove the van around the block. I ought to try again this year with the new tires.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd use the 5-point too.

And my New Englander parents taught me to drive in the snow by telling me to attempt to never have to use my brake. Going slow to begin with is important, drive in a lower gear and/or downshift to slow yourself instead of using the brake.

As a 911 dispatcher for 10 years I was called in to work in every major Nor'easter and not once got stuck or had an accident. And I've never owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle...just front wheel drive ones.

scoutingbear

Just another tip for driving in the snow that I was taught as a new driver on a vacation...step on the gas like you are stepping on an egg. Very gently and slowly. You don't want to break the egg!

mykidsmylife

Thanks.
I have driven in snow a lot. I lived in MA for 2 yrs. Also in NC we had lots of ice I drove on a lot.. LOL.
I was more worried about the hills out here. We are in the mountains of Germany (Bavaria) so there is lots of hills.

I put the Apex back in .. He will have to ride in his booster tomorrow when we go get my sister. We have to fit 4 adults and 3 carseats in the van so he will have to use his booster.
However he is going back into his Apex until he outgrows it or the winter is over. He can get over that. LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC