hmm, car seat questions

TheQueenMother

Currently I have 3 MAs and 1 RA in rotation in two cars for two kids. DD age 3, almost 4 and 35lbs is in a MA in each car. 3 weeks ago, I moved her harnessup to the top slot as the 3rd slot was below her shoulders just a smidge. Currently the top slot is more than an inch above her shoulders and she does fit well in the MAs. DS is 11 months. He rides in a MA in the car and a RA in the Yukon which makes no sense because there is a lot more room in the Yukon but it is how it has been. Ds is on the third harness slots on the RA and the MA as he is tall and weighs about 25 lbs. I measured last night and the top of his head is less than 2 inches from the top of the shell so I need to get something else for someone.
I am not going to get another MA although that is a good fit right now for both and I have a stash of covers and it is handy to switch them when needed. DD will be harnessed for a while and I expect her to outgrow the MA w/i the next 18 months by height. I looked at the thread about the Regent, Nautilis and the Frontier but was not sure that those were the best options for us or if I should look at something else.
I allowed her to ride in a turbo booster once to check her fit as a possible spare and she hated the head wings and the seat belt and cried the entire ride. Does the Nautilis have the same head wings as the Turbo booster? It has the highest harness height of all of the 65 lb seats, correct? My kids are normally 6 by the time they hit 65 lbs but are tall torsoed and typically sit well in boosters by that time so I am not sure that I would actually use a harness seat past 65 lbs with my kids.
Width would defiantely be an issue. We have 4 kids and essentially seating for 7 in the Yukon as I keep the passenger side seat folded down to allow for access to the back bench seat. When we have extra kids(often), I need seating room. I am afraid that the Regent and possibly the Fronter would eliminate two seating options rather than the one position. Anyone else in this boat?
I also considered the True Fit or the Radian. I have heard too much about install issues with the Radian initially but really just need a seat toget us to booster stage that I probably do need to put it back on the short list. But if the harness heights were the same, this probably will not get me to the 65 lb mark and I do want her to be at that point before putting her in a booster.
Now for my question, What seat would you buy for either child in order to get thru the next 2 years until DD is ready for a booster>
TIA
Amanda

Last edited:
ADS

Shaunam

I would most certainly be passing one of the marathons down to your son and buying a new seat for your 3 year old. I'll let someone else give you advice on which one because I don't own any of the ones you listed.

You said your son is on the third slots of the RA and MA. That's very high even for a large infant. Please check and make sure that the harness is threaded through the slot at or below his shoulders. And if you have them above because he's forward-facing, you need to flip him back around. The bare minimum to turn forward is 1 year and 20 lbs. And then it's recommended to rear-face to the limits of the seat (33-35 lbs and with 1" of shell above his head). :)

TheQueenMother

He is still Rfing, the harness is above his shoulders (I thought they were supposed to be and moved them up when his shoulders were at the second slots). The slots are correct, I always check that. He will RF to the limits of the seat, which is why I need to pass a seat down and get him out of his RA, and then start sweet talking dh because I need a newbie to fill that seat.

featherhead

It can be a little confusing to know which harness slots to use. For rear-facing it needs to be at or below the shoulders... for forward-facing it needs to be at or above the shoulders.

How is it with the Marathon in your vehicle? Would a wider seat work at all? I think the Nautilus and Frontier are both a bit wider than the Marathon. If that doesn't work than you could definitely go with a Radian, and then a booster when it is outgrown.

Good luck with your sweet talking!:D

Kat_Momof3

The Nautilus isn't very expensive compared to the britax seats, so if you go with that one (I would because your 3yr old is growing like my daughter did... she outgrew the Marathon just around age 4) because it has slightly taller top slots (even though the frontier makes the taller booster) than the frontier, you probably won't have to sweet talk him too much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC