Talk to Me About the Radian 80

Mylilboyblue

Okay so I am back to car-seat lusting. It has been just about a year since we bought our MAs for DS and till now I have been happy, but now I am thinking DS needs more leg-room RF and I for some reason am now wanting Radian and looking for reasons that I need one!

Does the RN offer more RF height and leg room than, lets say, a TF? Or are they similar? Of course there is the RF tether with the RN and also the low-profile, which will make it easier for me to get DS in and out, right?

Finally, what age/size is the RN usually grown out of? Will I get to booster age with it? DS right now at 16 months is 24lbs and 32in.

TiA!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd wait for the Radian XT, if you can. It looks awesome.

I love my Radian; I haven't been able to compare it to a True Fit, but I'm pretty sure we've all agreed that it absolutely has the most legroom RF.

I'm pretty sure it's got a taller shell than the TF, too, which means more height for RF.

Mylilboyblue

Hmmmm....I was thinking about the Radian XT. I am guessing it is like a Radian 80 with the wings, right? My only concern with that would be the whole head slump issue. We had a hard time with the BLVD and ultimately that is why we ended up with MAs.

Has anyone seen the RN XT in person? Do the headwings look like the BLVDs or is it different?

I really would like to have some TSIP. How much more is it slated to be than the original?

featherhead

Actually, the True Fit shell is taller, and it has a wee bit more leg room. But I think if I were you I would still go with the Radian. It is much easier to get a kiddo in RF with the low sides. I used my SIL's True Fit a few times for my dd, and it was a bit of a pain (though if you drive a van it wouldn't be so bad). Plus, the top harness slot of the Radian is a bit higher, and for me, I would be comfortable going from Radian to booster, unless you have a freakishly tall child:D

Mylilboyblue

Thanks for your reply. I see that you have one for your DD. You really like it?

That is my biggest problem, I have a Saturn ION and it is hard to get him in and out RF in his MA now that he is older and taller so I am liking the lower profile of the Radian.

featherhead

Yup, I really like it:D It is so much easier to get my dd in and out. I usually install her seat in the middle, so I climb in the back seat with her, but even when I do have it outboard, it is still quite easy. For leg room, my dd's feet just barely touch the back of the seat when she is wearing snow boots, with her shoes or Robeez I don't think they quite reach the back of the seat.

canadiangie

I too would wait for the XT unless you need the seat now.

You never know but the wings might not create a head slump issue. IIRC the wing part moves independently from the harness (which I don't completley *get* LOL, but this is what I've heard) so maybe this will work better than the wings on the BV?

I have a Radian and I like it. I don't *love it* but I like it. It serves a purpose and does provide more leg room than my MA. I like that it tethers rf, and it has nice tall top slots.

It's for all of these reasons, plus the fact that it's supposed to rf to 35lbs in Canada, and have the TSIP that I'm planning on an XT as my next seat purchase.

You might also consider the TrueFit with the ARB coming soon. The TF and the Radian are completely different car seat animals, but offer some of the same features. Comes down to preference IMO.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Looking at pictures, it doesn't appear that the XT would push a head forward like the Boulevard and Nautilus do.

radianc.jpg

sunnymw

I like the TF more than I did my RN80, for tons of reasons. :D I like that it still has a lower profile than a Britax b/c it doesn't sit on a base, but it has the depth that's lacking in the RN. The one and only thing I DO NOT like about the TF over the RN is the harness adjuster for RFing. Otherwise it's perfect. Both my kiddos love it.

shauburg

Another vote for waiting for the Radian XT. I have a True Fit and a Radian and posted my thoughts on each here - http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=47714.

If I didn't have to get the TF to keep DS RF longer in our primary vehicle I would have stuck with two Radians. It's easier to get your child in/out, & access the harness adjuster RF, and the top slots are higher for longer FF. With the Radian XT having a 35 lb RF weight limit and SIP, it has increased the advantages of the Radian over the TF in my mind (as long as it fits and installs well in your vehicles, of course!)

The TF does have a taller shell, but the Radian is tall enough that it also should not be outgrown RF by height before a child reaches the RF weight maximum.

The TF does have more RF leg room, but DS did not seem to mind the Radian, even after knowing the TF!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC