Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

What vehicle for a family of 8?

Ok, so I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant. So that will be 6 kids plus Dh and me. We already have a Suburban. Is there any way I will be able to fit us all in it, or am I going to need to start looking for something else? Also, what else is there? lol Thank you!

DSS9 67 lbs 4'8

DS8 80 lbs 4'7

DSD7 55 lbs 4'5

DS5 55 lbs 3'11.5

DD18mth 22lbs 31.5 in

new baby in hopefully the SS1 that I lent out to my friend

These are the seats we have, but I am open to saving up for new ones to make everyone fit well.

1 Marathon
    1 Radian80
    2 Regents
    1 Parkway
    2 HB Turbo boosters
    2 NB Turbo boosters

The 2 HB Turbo boosters will be expiring May 09 though
    Sarah, mom to DSS 14 seat belt, DS1 13 seat belt, DSD 11 seat belt, DS2 10 TB, DD1 6 RA, and DD2 4 MyRide all in a 99' Suburban

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Re: What vehicle for a family of 8?

Well, a Dodge Sprinter would always be an option, but I am not sure if that is overkill for a family of eight.

Congrats on the new baby!

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

CPS Advocate

try installing everything together and see what works, you may or may not need a new vehicle.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

Thank you both and thanks for the congrats. That's what I figured I would try out the next nice day. Take all my seats out and see if any configuration will work.
    Sarah, mom to DSS 14 seat belt, DS1 13 seat belt, DSD 11 seat belt, DS2 10 TB, DD1 6 RA, and DD2 4 MyRide all in a 99' Suburban

I would think you should be able to fit. Does it have lap/shoulder belts and head rests in all positions? That would make it easier.

At the most you may end up needing to sell the wider seats to fund Radians but that would be cheaper than a new vehicle.

We have an Excursion and are a tad larger. I can fit 6 car seats no problem, but the 3rd row doesn't have head rests and the middle seats don't have shoulder belts so that limits use.

Congrats!

I'm expecting number 6 too and I know 6 seats can fit in 6 rear seating positions if only you have the right ones in the right places. I can fit 6 in my aerostar with the extra 3-seater bench. I'm hoping it won't come to that, though and that we can buy an 8 seater sienna.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot201 View Post
    Well, a Dodge Sprinter would always be an option, but I am not sure if that is overkill for a family of eight.

Congrats on the new baby!
    It gets better mileage than the Suburban (last I checked), and, if you're not "done" having kids, there's PLENTY of growing room. We only had a 5-pass Escape when we were pg with dd4, and rather than go to the minivan (for not much less, bought new, than the Sprinter!), we just went straight for the Sprinter, and we'll drive it into the ground.

So, this mom of 4 says that the Sprinter isn't overkill I mine!

Thank you again everyone for the advice. I still haven't gotten to play around with the fit in the Suburban because of the weather, but now I have some hope that they will fit.

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysgirl7103 View Post
    Ok, so I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant. So that will be 6 kids plus Dh and me. We already have a Suburban. Is there any way I will be able to fit us all in it, or am I going to need to start looking for something else? Also, what else is there? lol Thank you!

DSS9 67 lbs 4'8

DS8 80 lbs 4'7

DSD7 55 lbs 4'5

DS5 55 lbs 3'11.5

DD18mth 22lbs 31.5 in

new baby in hopefully the SS1 that I lent out to my friend

These are the seats we have, but I am open to saving up for new ones to make everyone fit well.

1 Marathon
    1 Radian80
    2 Regents
    1 Parkway
    2 HB Turbo boosters
    2 NB Turbo boosters

The 2 HB Turbo boosters will be expiring May 09 though
    Having had a Tahoe I might be able to help.

3rd row I would put the Radian 80 center with any of the boosters ourboard. Only thing when installing the Radian put the release button on the belt stalk up against the Radian so it's not accidently pushed by the booster child.

Then on the 2nd row the Safe Seat & Marathon with another booster in the passenger outboard. By putting the booster in the outboard it can easily moved to allow easy access for the 3rd row passengers.

You could probably do the Radian & MA in the 3rd row only thing is the 3rd row only has 1 top tether so one couldn't be top tethered which ideally would be the Radian because of it's testing does well with out one.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt