how do you determine if an infant snowsuit is too bulky?

steph410

i know it's unsafe for a baby to wear a big bulky snowsuit in the carseat, but I need to find something for my newborn to wear in his carseat & i'm just not finding anything in polar fleece that i like. there are a few "snowsuits" i'm considering that don't seem very bulky- how do you determine what is safe and what it not?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just determine how much you can pinch...if it's no bulkier than fleece, it's probably ok. But honestly? Skip it if you have any doubts at all. Put the kiddo in regular clothing (undershirt, socks, 'sleep and play' thing and a hat) and tuck a blanket or carseat cover over the seat.... that will also help prevent overheating, which can contribute to SIDS risk.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Another way to test, if you have the seat with you when you're trying on the snowsuits, is to put your child in the suit and then in the carseat. Tighten the straps, then without untightening them take your child out. Take the suit off and put him back in. If you need to tighten the harness then it's too bulky.

Wendy

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't loosen/tighten the straps when I take my kids in and out of their car seats. So, if I can cram them in - coats on - without loosening the harness, it works for me! :twocents:

skaterbabs

Two rules of thumb I use: 1. if you have to loosen the harness to get the child in when wearing it, it's too much. 2. No thicker than a blanket sleeper. By that I don't mean those really thin cheap ones, but the nice heavy ones.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Do you have an infant carrier or a convertible seat? If you have an infant carrier, it's easy to enough to put them in it inside, cover them up with blankets and a car seat cover (the shower cap style) and take them out like that. If you have a convertible, it's a little more difficult, but still doable.

I agree with the PP's. I have a Columbia fleece snowsuit that I have used in car seats before. It's like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Columbia-girls-...ryZ57824QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, most of the time, I prefer to warm up the car and then wrap DS in a couple of blankets, put a hat on him and carry him out. Then, put him in his seat and cover him up with the blankets. It looks weird going into stores with him wrapped in blankets, but it's easier IMO.

Baby D

Would you all think that the L.L. Bean Hi Loft Fleece Bunting is appropriate? It is the really cute one with the ears. Currently, DS just wears a very thin hoodie with a hat underneath, and I wrap him in a blanket on the way to and from the car. Grandma is dying to buy him a snowsuit for Christmas but I keep telling her he can't wear it in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC