3 across circa 1978

rodentranger

in a VW rabbit. I found this pic when I was making DH a scrapbook.
My DH is the baby in the middle, brother (driver's side) is ~4-5 yo, sister (passenger side) is ~2-3 yo.
1978sethjoshleahcarseats.jpg

1978sethjoshleahcarseat.jpg

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow!

Part of me wants to cringe, but that is SO much better than what most people did back then. That's actually very impressive. :thumbsup:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Wow! Is that a brown vinyl wall in front of the girls face? LOL!
According to my mom, "noone" used carseats back then, LOL!!! I'll have to show her this pic......

christineka

Wow! I was born in '78 and was out of car seats by 18 months of age. I think at age 2 or so my mom got me a backless booster that I used sometimes. It was ditched sometime around age 3 or 4.

rodentranger

Wow! Is that a brown vinyl wall in front of the girls face? LOL!
According to my mom, "noone" used carseats back then, LOL!!! I'll have to show her this pic......
Why yes it is a brown vinyl wall-complete with 1 inch foam padding! LOL
Wow! I was born in '78 and was out of car seats by 18 months of age. I think at age 2 or so my mom got me a backless booster that I used sometimes. It was ditched sometime around age 3 or 4.
I was born in '83 and in '85 my mom totaled her car with me carseat-less in the front seat with the shoulder strap behind me. I did get a backless booster with a shield -just so I could see out the window, but eventually ditched the shield. I sat on it in the front seat until I was probably 8 or 9.
We were marvelling at the awesomeness of the seats and MIL made sure we all knew that they were top o' the line back in the day!

U

Unregistered1

That is really cool. That they're even in seats back then is really cool, but the baby is REAR FACING! And the older kids are still in seats! That's really amazing for the time, kudos to the parents who were up on early child passenger safety!

canadiangie

That is so amazing. :thumbsup:

You can guess that they kept the baby in the middle because that's where babies were supposed to ride back then (bigtime into middle = safest right up into the 90's I'd say).

As for the toddlers, that's awesome. I was born in '79 and went from a cream coloured bucket with brown vinyl, into a backless booster with no shield. Used it until I was about 2.5y/o, then into a lap belt or front seat belt with shoulder strap behind me. It was just fine. :eek:

Anyway, LOVE that pic. :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The two seats on the outside are Peterson safety shell seats. There are catalog photos of them in my catalog album.

The seat in the center looks like the one that had you use the seat upside down for rfing and rightside up for ffing. (you rethreaded the harness)

Qarin

The seat in the center looks like the one that had you use the seat upside down for rfing and rightside up for ffing. (you rethreaded the harness)

Looking at the picture again, I wonder if that's the case but that they didn't rethread the harness- it almost looks like maybe the "shoulder" straps are coming out from the sides, like they would be if that were the bottom of the seat (upside down, as you say) and those were the outside leg straps.

G8r4evr

Too cool!

I was born in '79 and all I know is I did have a car seat (I will have to search for a pic) Mom said that one day when we were leaving my Grandma's house, my Grandma put me in the car seat and forgot to buckle me in. Mom didnt realize until we were almost home (about 20 miles later) when we turned onto our street, I fell into the floorboard!! She said she had never been more relieved than when I started screaming.

I will have to ask her how long I stayed in a car seat.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Looking at the picture again, I wonder if that's the case but that they didn't rethread the harness- it almost looks like maybe the "shoulder" straps are coming out from the sides, like they would be if that were the bottom of the seat (upside down, as you say) and those were the outside leg straps.
I don't think that is the case. I can see the crotch strap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC