Question Toyota Sienna: buy in 7 or 8-passenger?

U

Unregistered

I have 2 kids (4-year-old and 2-year-old), and am expecting a 3rd. We are shopping for a new car, and like the Toyota Sienna. I can't decide between the 7 and 8 passenger!

Pros of the 8-passenger: extra seat, can fit 3 kids in the 2nd row (so nobody has to sit on the back).

Cons of the 8-passenger: 2nd row chairs have no armrests (on the 7-passenger, there are 2 captain's chairs on the 2nd row with armrests).

Are those armrests really important? Once the kids are old enough to be out of carseat, will the lack of armrests make those seats uncomfortable for them?

If you own a Toyota Sienna, did you choose a 7 or 8-passenger version, and why?

Thank you!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi and welcome to the forums at Car-Seat.org. :)

I moved your thread to the car safety forum. You should get more answers specific to your question in this forum. :thumbsup:

erinnicolevan

I was going through this same debate a few weeks ago. LOL

I finally decided on an '09 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited. I have 4 kids, soon to be 5. Everything in me told me to get the 8-passenger, but I just couldn't. If I put 3 carseats across the 2nd row, it would make getting to the 3rd row nearly impossible. Plus, I would keep the extra seat out for most of the time anyway, I figured. And, the 8-passenger didn't come with any of the fancy stuff that my husband wanted (nav, leather, heated seats, etc.).

My husband said if I got the 8-passenger, I might as well just get a Suburban instead because kids would be climbing over seats. So, I decided to get the 7-passenger. I might regret it, I don't know, but right now I ADORE it. I have never owned a minivan before (I've always been so dead-set against them) and can't believe I had all of these little kids for so long without having one. I've got the two captain's chairs pushed together, so getting to the 3rd row is a snap right now. I am eyeing the Multimac Seat if I have trouble getting the 5th carseat in the 7-passenger.

GL! You have to let us know what you end up with!

christineka

As a mom of many kids, I'd choose as many seats as possible! Our first van seated 6. Then we needed another seat, so another van. Now we have 7 seats, expecting another, so we have to buy yet another van. Besides, when the grandparents come to visit it is nice to be able to drive them around rather than them having to rent a car just for a little driving.

I wouldn't worry at all about armrests unless you plan to keep this van for 8+ years. Kids usually need to be in at least a booster seat to age 10 or so and most of them have attached arm rests. I have one armrest on my seat and I honestly don't use it.

You can always take the extra seat out of the van and put it in storage for when you do need it. Of course, you might even be able to put all three of your kids in the second row, which would be great for you.

sirrahn

I have the 8 seater and have never regretted it. We have 4 kids so it's perfect when grandparents or friends are with us. We just keep the passenger side 2nd row seatback folded down most for easy 3rd row access. It's not impossible for kids to get in the back with it up either though. The seat slides forward and they can squeeze past to get into the 3rd row without any difficulty.

We only had 3 kids when we first got it and I loved the flexibility to put them all in the second row. I had no interest in paying for the extras on the higher trims either so it was an easy decision for us. GL!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had an 8 passenger Sienna LE from 2005-2008. I replaced it with a 2008 Odyssey Touring. The thing I miss the most about my Sienna is the 8 seats. My Ody is the first year for the Touring to have 8 seats, but the Plus One is useless. The Sienna seating was wonderful. You really could easily get three across in that row. I love the bells and whistles of my Touring, and I would've loved an XLE but the lack of an 8th seat was the deal breaker for us.

As for using the back row--when we needed to have younger kids in the back row, it was dead simple to just buckle them through the hatch or reach over from the sliders to do it. We still do this with our Odyssey, and it works great.

-N.

NannyMom

I have a 2008 Sienna 8 passenger. I don't see lack of amr rests as a problem. They wouldn't have any if they were sitting in the 3rd row. Right now I have 3 kids and carseats in my van. In December there will be a 4th. I've moved the 2 oldest to the 3rd row (they're 5 and 8). They can both get out if the outboard seats are moved forward (without flipping the seat). The seats are so easy to flip, that both children can do that themselves too.

I love my 8 passenger :) And I only have 1 child of my own :whistle:

erinnicolevan

Does anyone know why the 8-passenger version doesn't come with any of the extra stuff - like leather and heated seats? I asked when I bought mine, but they didn't know. I guess since I've got so many kids, when we have company or whatever, we'd have to take two vehicles anyway, so I am trying so hard not to let this thread make me wish I got the 8-seater! LOL!!

So, to the OP, I guess you should get the 8-seater. :)

oxeye

I am really happy with my 7 seater but I am only going to have three kids in it. The 8 seater wasn't an option for us because AWD is really important to me and the AWD models only come with the 7 passenger seating.

Peony

I am really happy with my 7 seater but I am only going to have three kids in it. The 8 seater wasn't an option for us because AWD is really important to me and the AWD models only come with the 7 passenger seating.

The AWD was also the reason we got the 7 seater, I like all the bells and whistles and wanted them. I haven't not had leather seats in a number of years and wasn't about to start now. :eek: I really like my 7 seater, I've had it for 2 years now. We also keep one of the captain's chairs scooted over for easy assess to the 3rd row.

emandbri

I love my 8 seater! I really wanted the 8 seater one because we have 4 kids and I wanted to be able to take other kids safety as well.

I LOVE the front and center feature. I have my 5 year old in that spot and he could get his straps on and I could reach over from the driver's seat and buckle him in. He can now do it himself but sometimes does need help if the straps get twisted. When my daughter starts preschool in July I will put her in that spot.

We have had 8 people in it quite a few times. It is great for carpooling and for road trips. We have taken 2 trips from St. Louis to Kentucky with 8 in the van, last time it was me, dh, our 4 kids, and my parents. If I didn't have the 8 seater we would have had to take two cars and it would have cost a lot more in gas. We took turns sitting in the middle spots, it isn't bad at all, very comfy and it was fun to ride next to the kids.

For a while I had the passenger side seat out and only put it in when we needed that seat but I've now left it in for the last few months, it really isn't hard to flip that seat at all.

lynsgirl

I have the 8 seater and have never regretted it. We have 4 kids so it's perfect when grandparents or friends are with us. We just keep the passenger side 2nd row seatback folded down most for easy 3rd row access. It's not impossible for kids to get in the back with it up either though. The seat slides forward and they can squeeze past to get into the 3rd row without any difficulty.

We only had 3 kids when we first got it and I loved the flexibility to put them all in the second row. I had no interest in paying for the extras on the higher trims either so it was an easy decision for us. GL!

This was us, too. Only 3 kids when we first got it (8-passenger). I've had 2 kids in the back/2 in the front since ds3 was born. I do leave the passenger side seat folded down and they have no problems getting in the back.

When the baby is born, I will have ds1 (in seatbelt only) sitting either in the middle of the 2nd row where he is now OR in that 2nd row passenger seat. Ds3 and the baby will also be in the 2nd row, but RF. There is *still* enough room for the other two kids to get past the back of the 2nd row seat (if I put baby there and move it up). If I decide to put ds1 in the outboard seat (probably not), it tumbles forward so quickly that it's really not a problem.

As far as why I'd choose an 8-passenger over a 7-passenger? Seating capacity, baby! ;). I do love my van. I have had it for over 3 years and the options and versatility for seating and for carseats in general is fantastic. Dh and I both actually prefer cloth over leather, so that wasn't an issue and I'm not terribly worried about the lack of armrests in the 2nd row. The third row has no armrests and if you have a van with a 2-seater bench in the center, you have a lack of armrests, as well. I do wish I could have AWD, but I live in the south and FTMP, it's not a huge issue. My biggest beef with my van is very trivial, all things considered - I wish the driver's side slider door was an automatic like the other side. Not that it's killing me to have to open it *myself* :p, just that the automatic one is very handy lol.

Last note - I have also had 8 people in there several times, usually 2 extra adults, not kids. This means I've put 3 carseats in my third row several times. Tight, but certainly doable. Once, for only a weekend, my friend watched my (then 3) kids (and she had 3 at the time, as well). I did put 6 carseats in my van, but did not, in fact, take a picture :rolleyes:. It was a beautiful sight. . . :love: hehehe.

Whatever you decide on, I know this much - it bears repeating that I love this van and I don't believe I'm alone in that sentiment :D. I think you will love it, too.

NannyMom

My biggest beef with my van is very trivial, all things considered - I wish the driver's side slider door was an automatic like the other side. Not that it's killing me to have to open it *myself* :p, just that the automatic one is very handy lol.

I too have the Sienna LE with only 1 automatic door :( I wish I'd bought the CE with 2.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The CE is the base model Sienna and less likely to have two power sliding doors over the LE or XLE models. :confused:

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
We went out this morning just to "look" at the Siennas. Our dealership had two 2008s that had been rental cars for a short time, and we came home with one!

I chose a LE with the 8th seat over a brand-new CE (that was really marked down as well) because of the extra seat. We're also expecting number three, and I really debated on what to do. Now, we can definately put all three kids in the middle for travel, if we need the extra cargo space. Also, we can put the baby in the center seat of the second row, rear-facing, without compromising leg room for the adults. The two older kids (mine will be almost 6 & 9) can sit in the third row most of the time, with the passenger side seat taken out for them to climb through. That also leaves me with the driver's side second row seat to sit when I need to (like when we're somewhere and I need to BF).

Those were just my reasons for choosing that extra seat, but I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Mom has the 8 seater. BIL has the 7 seater. I much prefer the 8 seater. Those arm rests bother me actually. They just get in the way.

All the fancy stuff isn't all that great either. The navi is a pain and leather can be both good and bad. BIL's 7 seater is a fully loaded model. Just missing the radar cruise. Has AWD, leather, navi, tv in back, etc. I still prefer my mom's 8 seater LE. Aftermarket has better options for all the fancy stuff that's better than factory, except for the backup camera. The factory one is awesome. Otherwise, you're better off just adding it all in after the fact.

MyBeachBabies

We have an 8 passenger and just love it! I have all 3 kids in the 2nd row, all in Britax 5 point harness seats. That way no one has to sit alone in the back and I still have a ton of room in the back and can fold the 3rd row down if I need to.

vonfirmath

Growing up, we never had armrests on any of our seats in the car and I never missed them. To this day, even in the front, most cars don't have armrests.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC