FFing too young

lil96

I am not even sure what to title this.
Today I was at a local baby boutique looking for a new stroller, (a-whole-nother vent) so these people come in with their very young baby(I am guessing between 4-9 months) bundled up in his snow suit inside his maxi cosi. They are car seat shopping bc "He's outgrown the maxi cosi" I am thinking duh if you took that giant snow suit off him he'd fit with room to spare, he is way smaller than my 1 yr old who fits fine in her infant carrier... but anyway I am not the salesperson.
I see them take a booster looking seat to the register, I almost fainted while talking to my salesperson. I couldn't believe they would do that. How stupid can they be?? I was trying to gather my thoughts quickly but I was so shocked I couldn't think straight and had to leave the store.
Yes the "legal" age to turn a kid ffing here is 9 months, but there is no way that kid would be ready for a booster seat. It was one that the seat belt just wraps around, it didn't even have a shield to keep it in place.

ADS

ctbcleveland

It is possible for a child that young to have outgrown the seat by weight or by height if there was less than one inch of hard shell behind his head. Based on your description, possibly weight. The snowsuit thing is crazy.

The baby store ought to be helping to guide people to age-appropriate child restraints. Did they do that?

I am not sure what shield you are thinking of. You are right, boosters only use the seatbelts. A child that age should be in a five point harness.

lil96

it is possible... but judging by the size of this kid, not likely.

at this store they had infant carriers, then ffing seats,typical for here.

some seats here come with shields to keep the seat belt in place (someone just mentioned one on the can/int board). Not all the seats here have the 5pt harness, some are just the shield with a seat belt around it. :(

U

Unregistered1

it is possible... but judging by the size of this kid, not likely.

at this store they had infant carriers, then ffing seats,typical for here.

some seats here come with shields to keep the seat belt in place (someone just mentioned one on the can/int board). Not all the seats here have the 5pt harness, some are just the shield with a seat belt around it. :(

Like a plastic bar in front of the child? Shield boosters have not been manufactured at least in the U.S. for several years (not sure about Canada or elsewhere) - they were actually blamed for several ejection deaths. A child that age should definitely be in a harness, and RF!!

Kat_Momof3

yeah, the pp is clearly from EU because she said it's legal to ff at 9mo.

also, boosters with shields for 1 and up would refer to the EU version of the Start with a sheild similar to the laptop in front of it.

lil96

If it had been in USA (my native land) I would have said something. I just couldn't even gather my thoughts it just surprised me so much and everyone was smiling. All I could imagine was this little baby slumped over the seat belt, bobbing around in the back seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC