I finished my class today!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The test was SO EASY. I finished the test, the course evaluation, and the instructor evaluation in 35 minutes. There were three questions that I paused over, and two of them had to do with the seating arrangements for a four year old 48 pounder (who I would put in a harnessed seat, but not everyone would, so I said booster). Then I read my book for a while and just relaxed. LOL

After lunch we did our check. I think they said we checked 15 seats and we took five of them (mostly tray seats). I checked four cars and of those three needed seats of some sort. But whoa!!! When the instructors said people do stupid things I naively assumed it was the odd person. We had a 100% fail rate on the carseats I saw today.

The first car was an elderly woman with the nearly six year old she watches a few days a week. The child was 57 pounds and in a tray carseat with the harnesses practically dangling. Oh man. She got the first seat of the day, a free booster.

The second car had two kids, a 3 year old 29 pound (the mom thought she was 64 pounds) in an Evenflo combo and an eight year old on a pillow. The 3 year old was harnessed (they were twisted a bit, but not bad) but instead of being installed the seat had the seatbelt in front of it. So she was harnessed and with the seatbelt. The eight year old was 64 pounds (there was the number! DUH! No way that three year old was 64 pounds) and needed a booster. They had a graco turbobooster in their trunk (?????). So in she went to that.

Third car was a grandmother without her grandkids (but with ice cream in the trunk). Eight year old 60 pound boy who had a graco turbobooster (yay!) and a two year old 30 pound girl who was in a tray seat (they really are popular!!). The tray was missing the fabric, or rather, the girl kept pulling it off, it had a crack in the tray, and the labels were missing. I told her the seat wasn't safe as it was, and she said fine, she'd buy a new seat, but her ice cream was melting. LOL She was awesome. So she got a new Scenera I think.

Last car was a young mom and her friend, her child wasn't there. She had some sort of seat, I can't remember now. Oh right, I think another tray. Her child also wasn't there, but was nearly 2 (I would have given her a convertible, but the instructor said combo). LOL It had been a used seat, she didn't know the history, and I think the labels were missing as well. She got a new Evenflo combo seat. Hers was a neat install, an ELR with a locking latchplate lap/shoulder in the back (did I mention it was a coupe?). And that belt wouldn't tighten. So I did it, got it in, then made her do it. LOL She did a GREAT install. Seriously much better than a lot of the people in class. I showed her how to tighten the seatbelt without it buckled in, guesstimate it, redo it if necessary, and then put her knee in the seat to help buckle it in and viola! She did a great job. And a nice new seat for her daughter. :)

That was a blast. I want to do more!!! Hopefully it won't take too long to get my card, though I'm going to be out of town for a while anyway.

I only lost one nail, too, and cut myself once. And no nosebleeds today. LOL Stupid evenflo seat, that was AWFUL to adjust the harness on.

Weeeeee! A friend asked me to check her infant seat tomorrow, so I get to do another one. :)

Wendy

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
WooHoo CONGRATS Wendy!!! I am so happy that you are official now...doesn't it just feel right to be a tech now?? Good job on the test and all the seat checks! I only got to do two cars at our check :( and we worked in pairs. Have fun checking your friends seat.
About the card...my last day of class was June 9th and I still haven't gotten anything! Arghh hopefully I get my card with id number on it soon!
Congrats again!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Congratulations!!! I want to take the class...but getting the time off from daycare, will be a challenge. I have a back up provider, but it costs me $$ and she just had a new baby. So it'll be a while before I can ask her to work for me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
thefosters.2 said:
WooHoo CONGRATS Wendy!!! I am so happy that you are official now...doesn't it just feel right to be a tech now?? Good job on the test and all the seat checks! I only got to do two cars at our check :( and we worked in pairs. Have fun checking your friends seat.
About the card...my last day of class was June 9th and I still haven't gotten anything! Arghh hopefully I get my card with id number on it soon!
Congrats again!

I don't think I'm a tech yet. I haven't gotten my grades back yet. So I don't know that I passed. The instructors don't know if we passed. I can't see how I would have failed, but I don't know for sure that I've passed.

Hopefully my card will come by August!

Wendy

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Ohhh shoot! They didn't tell you if you passed or not...that sucks! Our instructors graded ours right when we finished and let us know how many we missed and which ones. Then she said we will get our official results mailed to us. Hmmm, girl...I KNOW you passed though!

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Congratulations!

I have never used my card for anything, never had to show it at a check or anything. LOL Also never gave the number to Darren of coures to have my title here changed. LOL I don't even know where my card is right now. I should probably find it.

We found out after the test if we passed. Of course the ONE question I got wrong was the first car I got at the check! It was funny.

Glad you finally got it done!

Rachel
cspt

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Woohoo! I'm sure you did great. I had 3 I think that I had to think about hard too and ended up missing 2 of them. lol You guys only checked 15 seats?! Ours was HUGE, we had at least 150 I'm guessing that we did that day and ran like 15 lanes of checks. It sounds like you had some doozies though in that 15. Congrats! It took close to 6 wks for me to get my card.

skaterbabs

Congrats! I did the same thing Jennifer did and missed two, but I think you know enough to get the passing 80% anyway. ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
rachel3612 said:
LOL Also never gave the number to Darren of coures to have my title here changed.

Hmmm. I'll have to ask Jennifer if you should be put back through the qualifactions committee! For tech forum access and CPS Tech title, you really need to be listed on the SAFE KIDS USA website as a tech or supply a tech number and location, usually both unless there are unusual circumstances.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Darren, I am listed on the safe kids site, I wasn't last time I looked though. My zip code is 95765 to search. My husband and friend are 2 of the 4 in our town.

Do you want my tech number too? That I would have to find. LOL

Rachel
cpst (really)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Bravo, Wendy! Another dumb question from a tech wannabe: you have a scale to weigh kids at the seat checks, right? And lol at the supposedly 64# toddler. Congratulations again. :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Congratulations, Wendy! Gotta love the lady with the ice cream in the trunk. Isn't it great to be done with the class?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yippee! :D

My card seemed to take forever, but really it was within the time-frame I was told ... too bad they didn't tell you your score then, but I'm sure you passed :) :cool:

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Come on Wendy, we all know you passed! Congratulations! You should come visit me, i'm not far below you and our local walmart needs a tech for an event they are doing on the 4th. (a 4th of july safety fair isnt much if there are no safe kids reps, but can our local coalition send one person? no.) I'm making fliers for it about CPS pushing 18/30 to turn FF but i cant find a volunteer tech to do checks and i dont want the liability.

Lara

Yay

Congratulations Wendy. It must be cool to finally be official even though you already knew what you were doing LOL.

Lara

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Jeanum said:
Bravo, Wendy! Another dumb question from a tech wannabe: you have a scale to weigh kids at the seat checks, right? And lol at the supposedly 64# toddler. Congratulations again. :)

Yes, there was a scale. Which was nice to tell the mom she honestly wasn't 64 pounds. But I knew that as I lifted her out of her seat. She was just as heavy as Piper (Piper is 28.5 pounds, this girl was 29). So I was POSITIVE she wasn't 64, but if she had been, if the mom was convinced of that, then she needed a new seat because her harness only went up to 40 pounds. So the scale was good to show the mom she was all right using the seat she was using. Whew. LOL

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Dreaming_of_Speed said:
Come on Wendy, we all know you passed! Congratulations! You should come visit me, i'm not far below you and our local walmart needs a tech for an event they are doing on the 4th. (a 4th of july safety fair isnt much if there are no safe kids reps, but can our local coalition send one person? no.) I'm making fliers for it about CPS pushing 18/30 to turn FF but i cant find a volunteer tech to do checks and i dont want the liability.

hehe We're going to be out of town, plus I doubt with it being a holiday weekend that my test will even be graded. I think it has to be shipped to NYC first, then get graded, then input into the system. They said about 20 days for all of that to happen. So while I'm perfectly happy checking friends' seats (I've checked two already and am going to check another today, plus helped a neighbor put together her new Evenflo Big Kid booster for her daughter) but I wouldn't do an event yet. There's no way to prove, other than my email confirmation, that I've taken a class, nevermind pass.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC