So I nearly had a heart attack when I heard...

Kellyr2

Any one else, feel free to add any stories! LOL
We went "home" 2 weeks ago to drop the kids off at my mom's for a few days. We went in for the weekend before so the IL's could see the kids, too, as my mom was doing a "grandma camp" with the kids all week. On the Saturday that we were there, dh and I had some errands to run, so we left the kids with MIL. She wanted to take them to McD's. I put Mikayla's MA into her car. She has a Cosco Protek booster in her car already, and though I prefer the Parkway, its not something I stress about much. That is, afterall, the seat we used when Aaric was 4 and had outgrown his 5 pt at the time. And I try to move the Husky as infrequently as possible.
So, my SIL met her at McD's with her two kids. All of the kids wanted to go back to MILs to swim, and they all wanted to ride with MIL. SIL's two kids are 9 and 4. The 4 yo is pretty small - weighed 32 lbs when I weighed him while we were there - but he uses the booster in MILs car when he rides with her.
Well, because my nephew is smaller, MIL put him in the booster, and put Aaric in her 3rd row (Toyota Highlander) - boosterless! He'll be 6 in July - GA has the 6 yr law. SIL had offered to drive her two over there instead, but MIL declined, because she wanted the kids to be happy.
We knew nothing about this until a full week later when we were getting into our van and Aaric told us about it. He said he knew that his cousin was smaller and younger, so he "needed the booster more." :(
Now the real kicker - as if riding not only not in his Husky, and not in the Parkway which I trust, and not even in the crappy Protek but only in the seat itself wasn't enough to freak me out... he couldn't get his seat belt buckled, so he rode completely unbuckled!!!!
Dh has now had quite a conversation with his mother about how our son is NOT to ride boosterless ever again, until she hears otherwise. I plan on bringing it up again next time we visit, because by then, he'll be over 6, and I don't want her thinking he can do it again just because it would be legal then. I might just suck it up and move the Husky around next time, just to avoid that whole situation!

ADS

Ali

I'm so sorry your MIL put your DS in danger.

My in-laws (and my parents) have been told taught by DH and myself how to install carseats in their vehicle. (I am always the one to move the seats - I showed them for emergencies only). They have also all been trained how to seat and harness in DD. My MIL FAILED miserably, so she is not allowed to put DD into carseat - FIL does it.

They also all know they have 1 chance - if they EVER put her in incorrectly - they will NEVER, NEVER get to take DD again in their vehicles.

My in-laws think I'm a flake and neurotic about it - after all "their kids survived." Thankfully DH backs me up. They also thought it was utterly ridiculous that we spent almost $300 on a Marathon. (I haven't told them we have 2).

My parents were very safety conscious. I was in a booster until at least age 10. It was this huge, heavy brown thing that looks kind of like booster seats in restaurants - but it was over 20 years ago.

I understand your MIL's "logic" in that your nephew was smaller, but as there were seats available in the other van your SIL should have driven her own children. Too bad if they were disappointed. Better disappointed than hurt or worse.

I hope your MIL follows directions better next time.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ugh.... So glad she'll have the chance to learn the easy way instead of the hard way (with grandson in the hospital or worse) :eek: :(

Here's mine:

My dad is really supportive about CPSafety, but my mom just doesn't get it -- while she was babysitting a few months ago without my dad's help this one time because he was away on business, she couldn't find their boosters (which she threw a hissy over for me to supply them with because she hates moving even a booster from vehicle to vehicle, SIGH) -- instead she used a folded towel for my barely 4 year old :mad: The real kicker is that she was proud of her idea! I didn't even know where to begin with my response to that one, especially since it was an unnecessary trip anyway *GRRRRR*

menfusse

At first, I think my IL's thought I was a bit nuerotic because when I finally did allow my oldest ( my 7 month old hasn't riddent with anyone else yet...can't handle it yet..lol) to ride with them, I insisted on them using our seat. She was still harnessed at the time. They had an old century I think sheild booster that they had used for our older nephew when he was little. But they were very receptive to why that was bad...very bad! So now my MIL is all "did you see that kid? He was in a booster" or "that one isn't big enough for a booster!" It is really neat to hear her. FIL just goes with the flow...whatever we say goes. Our booster law is 8 years here, but Abby will ride until she is too tall for her Parkway, period.

My own family has always just went with what I say about safety, if I want her in a seat, they put her in a seat. My mom was using a protek too, but found if flimsy...so she went and got a turbo booster. I thought that was cool of her! Now if I can talk her into a buying a marathon, then I might let her have my 7 month old in her car....maybe.

Simplysomething

My 5 year old will be 6 in July too (ack, it's july now...it's near the end of the month. lol) I just bought him the turbo booster last week (he loves it. though it's hotter than his old seat, which had a tan cover).

I'd have had a cow. I'm still surprised that one of his friends who is a year older, but as small as the average 5 year old is no longer in a booster of any sort. (I think that VA law is till age 6, right? )

When my older was about 3, he was taking a walk with my mother...and apparently my aunt drove by...and picked 'em up and drove them home. It was all of a two blocks (speed limit was about 15), but that still gets me. I see them pull up and there is my son on my mothers lap! And she knew better. My mother doesn't think I'm nuts when it comes to safety.

I have to put that one to we were 600 miles from home and she wasn't thinking. Thankfully, nothing happened in those few hundred feet. But, if ever I wanna hyperventilate over "coulda happeneds", that pops into my head.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
My mom ticked me off royally recently when she was riding with me in my van. She was riding back in the third row all buckled in her seatbelt, or so I thought. As I was driving along the freeway, I suddenly saw her in the rear view mirror standing in the second row and leaning over to my baby riding there. Mom had unbuckled and walked up to the second row to give the baby back her binkie that she had tossed onto the floor. The baby wasn't even making a fuss but mom thought it was worth being an unbuckled potential human projectile to retrieve the binkie as we drove along the freeway at 70 m.p.h., argh. I always figured my oldest DD was the most likely candidate to unbuckle like this, but mom proved my hunch wrong. I'm still steamed about this and mom is still irked at my reaction, but let's just say I doubt she will ever do it again.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oi, yeah ... one of my SO's sister's & her teenage daughter wanted to ride unbuckled in my vehicle -- with their 8 year old niece, my preschooler, me, their brother (my SO) & elderly grandma. It was my 1st time meeting her so I simply said that I'm a certified passenger safety technician (left "child" out of it so they, knowing what little I did of them, would take it seriously *SIGH*) & that in my vehicle the engine just doesn't start unless everyone is buckled, that if anyone unbuckles I pull over. It's just my rule. Because, as I then explained, their two bodies weighing over 200# together would crash into the rest of us, including their mother whom they love so dearly, at ~6,000 pounds of force in only a 30 MPH impact. The math might not be totally correct, but that got the point across & opened the door to discuss how someone they knew was recently ejected from a vehicle -- because he also didn't buckle -- & he died :( They hadn't made the connection before until I said that ejection is about 4 times as likely to end in death & that the primary purpose of seatbelts is to prevent ejection (not to mention equally distributing crash force to lessen injury, etc).... I have a feeling now that they buckle more often ;)

B

bucket2

More horror stories:

1. Friend's FIL took oldest child (then 2ish) in a CR. However, when he turned a corner, the CR FELL OVER!!

2. Same friend. Driving home from Sea World (getting dark - CA freeway driving), we stopped for a potty/food break. It was then I discovered middle child had at some point unlatched little sister's seat in the 3rd row of the van.

3. Horror and Humor (sorry this one is long, but it's worth it :) ): Different friend, 5 kids. They used hand me down seats. 3 were WELL over 40 pounds/ears above seat back, still in convertible seats - one was over 10 years old and the company was out of business :eek: . Mom knew the 5 point harness was safer. [I'm still in shock that my friend, who does tons of internet research on a variety of topics for her kids had NOT even gotten the basic info on CPS). She knew I'd just finished the tech class so asked for my help. Based on vehicle, kids' height/weight and shopping access, we decided we needed 3 new seats: two backless boosters and a new combination seat for the 2 oldest and the youngest.

We took all 5 kids (under 9) to Toys R Us (for their first time!!) for the big purchase. From there, we went to BK for lunch. When the 3 big boys were done eating, we went out for the install job. First, take out all seats, misc. food, toys, and a couple of pounds of sand (they go to a playground alot). Then, assemble new seats and adjust new and old for the new occupants. Install all seats: Very cozy in 3rd row with the 3 new seats, a bit challenging (and frustrating) to buckle the boosters. From there, we go to a Children's Museum for a couple of hours. On the way home, mom requests some quiet so the littlest can attempt a nap. After 20 minutes, she asks me to check and see if he's sleeping. He is and so is big brother - both heads are resting on the side of the combo seat (very adorable - where's my camera?).

Then I have to stiffle laughter until after the kids are in bed. Late that night, I can share the laughter with my friend: we had created a "Jim Crow" van! All of our discussion centered on how to have the kids as safe as possible (what kind of seat? who can/can't sit together? seat belt configuration in the van). In the end, our final answer put the two oldest and the youngest in the 3rd row. These 3 boys are adopted and happen to be bi-racial - we'd unintentionally put all the black kids "in the back of the bus!"

4) Another funny one: Original friend again. Middle child again. He had outgrown his convertible but was refusing to ride in combo seat (He cried and wanted HIS seat). I was visiting, had a rental and wanted to go somewhere w/kids w/o their mom. I put his "future seat" in the car. He happily climbed in and buckled up. Half way home he commented, "I have a seat just like this one." "Really?"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC