Does She Fit ???

MissAllyLou

Okay folks, I need help. I know how to measure, and I know the 1-inch rule, but how close is she?? I have to keep the Safeseat 1 in my car for Finny, who's the other little girl I nanny for, I have her mon, tues, weds, fridays, and we are in the car ALL DAY. I have Maggie (the girl in question) on Thursdays and some weekends, and we are probably in the car an hour (or less) each day. So if I don't have to move seats for the one hour a day I have Maggie, that would be awesome. Does she fit though??? She's 24 pounds, 15 months, and still on the bottom straps in her Marathons.

mss5.jpg

mss4.jpg

mss3.jpg

mss2.jpg

maggiess1.jpg

(And yes, she was really happy to be modeling the seat :whistle: )

ADS

Shaunam

Maybe, but barely. Did you push the cover down at the top to make sure the poofiness wasn't making it look like she had more room? Also, if you buckle her in and tighten the straps, it can kind of pull her body down a bit and she may end up with more room. I've noticed that with my kids. If you just set them in it, they have less room.

lemurmommies

Wow - tough call. To me, it looks like she has just barely 1" of shell above her head. If she was my kid, I'd consider it too close for comfort though, and wouldn't have her ride in it.

Is there a reason that Finny can't ride in whatever seat you have for Maggie to ride in RF?

keri1292

Even if she fits, which I think she's too close, you'll need another solution very soon anyway. :twocents:

MissAllyLou

Wow - tough call. To me, it looks like she has just barely 1" of shell above her head. If she was my kid, I'd consider it too close for comfort though, and wouldn't have her ride in it.

Is there a reason that Finny can't ride in whatever seat you have for Maggie to ride in RF?

We spend the WHOLE MORNING in the car... Keegan has preschool from 9:30-11:30, Colin has preschool from 10:30-12:30, Colin has therapy from 1:00-1:45. So, if Finny's not in the SS1, she doesn't get a nap, and then she falls asleep during dinner at 4:45. Also, the boys are little .. 3 and 4 years old, and Colin has a few developmental disabilities, so I've found that it's much safer for everyone if Finny's already buckled in the SS1 and I can have 2 free hands for the boys.

I really think she's RIGHT AT the one inch!! And she's not mine, so I CAN'T risk it.

MissAllyLou

Maybe, but barely. Did you push the cover down at the top to make sure the poofiness wasn't making it look like she had more room? Also, if you buckle her in and tighten the straps, it can kind of pull her body down a bit and she may end up with more room. I've noticed that with my kids. If you just set them in it, they have less room.

Yes the cover was very tight at the top, and I made a point to get the model withOUT the Gracopedic foam so that it wouldn't take up any more space! I didn't try buckling her in though, did you see how happy she was? :rolleyes: You'd think I was pulling her toes off one by one.

melniemi

I'd buckle her in, snap it in the car, and reevaluate. She might have more room that way. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't use it for her, but I can see why you want it for the baby.

lemurmommies

We spend the WHOLE MORNING in the car... Keegan has preschool from 9:30-11:30, Colin has preschool from 10:30-12:30, Colin has therapy from 1:00-1:45. So, if Finny's not in the SS1, she doesn't get a nap, and then she falls asleep during dinner at 4:45. Also, the boys are little .. 3 and 4 years old, and Colin has a few developmental disabilities, so I've found that it's much safer for everyone if Finny's already buckled in the SS1 and I can have 2 free hands for the boys.

Just to clarify, do you and Finny get out of the car at all during that point? If you do and the thing is that she won't have a comfy place to rest if she's not in the SS1, would babywearing be a help? That way Finny would be close, and you'd still have two hands free for the boys. Just a thought.

BW1426

Just to clarify, do you and Finny get out of the car at all during that point? If you do and the thing is that she won't have a comfy place to rest if she's not in the SS1, would babywearing be a help? That way Finny would be close, and you'd still have two hands free for the boys. Just a thought.

I think you need a Beco :whistle:

MissAllyLou

Oh yes, that's the point of the carrier. It's a sleep thing. We have to get out of the car, walk into Keegan's school, drop him off. Get back in the car (me, Finny, Colin), drive to a book store, a library, a coffee shop, kill 25-30 minutes, get back in the car. Finny's usually awake and up and about at this point, playing. Then Finny and I drop Colin off at school; we have to get out of the car, walk him in, drop him off, sign him in. If she's sleeping, I carry the seat; if she's awake, I carry her. Then we have an hour to kill, so we usually go to my aunt's (it's closer to Keegan's school), and if she's asleep, I bring the seat in the house and put her in a bedroom to sleep. If she's awake, I carry her in and we play. Then we do it all over again.. go into Keegan's school, pick him, stop somewhere for half n hour, go get Colin. See why I HAVE to HAVE the SS1 for Finny?? Before we switched her back to the SS1 from the BLVD, she was being woken up every 20 minutes, and she was a wreck!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm going to be an oddball. ;)

I think once she's buckled in she probably has a tiny bit of growing room. I at first looked at the picture and thought no way - but she has pig tails on top of her head and I think that makes the picture a little bit deceiving. I know when my ds' head was in a similar spot he had about 1/2" growing room left. So who knows, buckled in and in the car might work? Worth checking it out anyways.

Though it's not going to buy you much time.. I'd guess less than a month at any rate and like the others said, you'll have to find a different solution then...

canadiangie

For kicks, here's my 29m/o in our SS1. She too is *right there* but I'd feel comfortable using it for her in a pinch. She's 27lbs and about 38" tall give or take.

Base installed as upright as possible (as in don't use the "dial" at all), super duper snug harness and double check you've pulled all the slack out of the hips, no winter wear at all, and I think you probably have 6-8wks to go. Which may get her old enough that she can make it until an afternoon nap is possible.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/lazydaisy_2005/IMG_2387.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/lazydaisy_2005/IMG_2388.jpg

BTW, the cover you have (eclipse) is beautiful! :love:

MissAllyLou

For kicks, here's my 29m/o in our SS1. She too is *right there* but I'd feel comfortable using it for her in a pinch. She's 27lbs and about 38" tall give or take.

Base installed as upright as possible (as in don't use the "dial" at all), super duper snug harness and double check you've pulled all the slack out of the hips, no winter wear at all, and I think you probably have 6-8wks to go. Which may get her old enough that she can make it until an afternoon nap is possible.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/lazydaisy_2005/IMG_2387.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/lazydaisy_2005/IMG_2388.jpg

BTW, the cover you have (eclipse) is beautiful! :love:

But would you be comfortable with the NANNY using it?? If she was my kid, I'd use it. But she's not... hence the hesitation.

canadiangie

Only you can be the final judge here. You know enough about the 1" rule to make the final call. :thumbsup: I have to say that once she's buckled in, and the seat is installed she'll probably gain some room. I'd give that a try before you give up. :twocents:

3acorns4Christy

I'd see how she fit in the car, if she was under the 1" rule, then yes I'd use it. And be comfortable with a nanny using it. Because, she is under the limits and she is happier because she can sleep more.

BW1426

Only you can be the final judge here. You know enough about the 1" rule to make the final call. :thumbsup: I have to say that once she's buckled in, and the seat is installed she'll probably gain some room. I'd give that a try before you give up. :twocents:

I'd see how she fit in the car, if she was under the 1" rule, then yes I'd use it. And be comfortable with a nanny using it. Because, she is under the limits and she is happier because she can sleep more.

I agree. She's going to settle it in. And, making a close call regarding height is a ton different than making a close call when dealing with weight. I'd use it as long as safely possible if it made life easier.

MissAllyLou

I bought her a Monet True Fit tonight :whistle:. I'll just switch out the SS1 whenever I have Maggie, for the TF, it should be pretty easy with LATCH. I'm just nervous that even if she fits tonight, I'll get there tomorrow and she'll be over the limit, KWIM?

I'll still use the SS1 for Finny till she's too big though.

Kat_Momof3

I think you made the right decision. She looks right AT the limit... so I'd say you needed to at least get the seat chosen immediately and order it shortly.

It is just time.

I'm sure she normally likes it better than that.

MissAllyLou

I think you made the right decision. She looks right AT the limit... so I'd say you needed to at least get the seat chosen immediately and order it shortly.

It is just time.

I'm sure she normally likes it better than that.

Ha ha it wasn't the seat that bugged her, it's the fact that I was taking her pic with my phone and wouldn't give it to her!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC