Why is this not okay??

diaperjoys

Or maybe it is okay?

Anyway, I'm trying to understand why a vehicle manufacturer would discourage a passenger seated next to a car seat. We're renting a Chevy Aveo, '08, for a quick trip we have to make out of state. We're leaving before dawn tomorrow, so I'm trying to get the baby's car seat figured out today while it is still light.

We'd like the baby to be seated in the middle (she's the only child coming with us). The side impact crash ratings are marginal on this vehicle (only vehicle left on the lot...), so we really prefer center for her.

But the manual indicates that when there is a car seat in the center, the outboard seating positions won't be able to be used. Why??? There is plenty of room. What is the risk?? Is there a risk?

The manual mentions that the car seat will "block access" to the safety belts, and thus no one will be able to sit in the outboard position. However, with this particular seat (our Diplomat), the base of the seat is actually several inches away from the outboard buckle.

I'd like to be able to sit back there with the baby for part of the trip, so I can help her snack a bit (we have to drive 500 miles to make an appt., not much time for stopping). But if I don't want to endanger her in any way. But really, how could it possibly hurt her???

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Does it say no outboard if there's a seat in the center of it there's a seat using LATCH in the center?

Some GM models have offset LATCH for the center position. It overlaps the driver's side outboard and blocks the bukcle. I know that applies to the Malibu, G6, and Equinox for sure. It sounds like the Aveo may fit into that category.

Edit: looking at the LATCH manual the note just says "Use of 2 CRs limits use of center seating position." so I'm guessing it's a case of one of the outboard positions overlapping the center position and the other outboad is probably just fine.

diaperjoys

This is what it says:

"If you use a child restraint in the center rear seating position, the safety belts and the child restraint LATCH anchors for the rear outside seating positions will not be accessible. Therefore, you will not be able to secure child restraints or have passengers ride in the rear outside seating positions."

The Diplomat is installed in the center using a seat belt. (no latch for the center position) And, contrary to what the manual states, the safety belts for the outboard positions are very accessible. I can see it being an issue with a really wide seat. But the Diplomat is decently trim, and it fits easily.

Now that I think about it, though, if the baby's Diplomat was installed forward facing (which it isn't), I can see that it would be a very uncomfortable place to sit, cause my shoulders and the back of her seat would collide. However, since she is rear facing, we "puzzle" very nicely.

I'm just trying to understand if there is a safety issue here that I am no seeing. Tomorrow, I'm sure there will be a time when there is a fussy baby in the backseat, and we'll have to decide if it is okay for me to go back there and help her out.

crunchierthanthou

I'm just trying to understand if there is a safety issue here that I am no seeing. Tomorrow, I'm sure there will be a time when there is a fussy baby in the backseat, and we'll have to decide if it is okay for me to go back there and help her out.

IMO, as long as you can buckle properly, there's no safety concern. I'd have no issues sitting beside her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC