Please tell me, what do you say when people have convinced themselves it's ok to

• Thread starter childrestraintsafety
  • Start date
C

childrestraintsafety

forward face at such a ridiculously young age. I.e. 5/6/7 months etc. It breaks my heart and distresses me I don't know what to say to these people to make them believe it's NOT ok.

ADS

skaterbabs

Internal decapitation.

Although, to be honest my odlest was FF at 5 mos. However, in my defense this was in 1996, and he exceeded the RF weight limit of every RF seat currenntly on the market. (20 lbs was pretty much the max, and that's why we see so much of that today.)

C

childrestraintsafety

skaterbabscpst said:
Internal decapitation.

Although, to be honest my odlest was FF at 5 mos. However, in my defense this was in 1996, and he exceeded the RF weight limit of every RF seat currenntly on the market. (20 lbs was pretty much the max, and that's why we see so much of that today.)

Well from my understanding, at that time (bout 1996), the recommendation was 6 months anyway. But I feel, there's no excuse with all the information available THESE DAYS to think it's ok to forward face. It's something that just really confuzzles me honestly.

skaterbabs

I totally agree. That's why my daughter was RF to 2 1/2. lol She'd still be RF if the limits weren't so low - she weighs 35 lbs.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I explain internal decapitation in the most brutal and gruesome way. I was discussing the idea with DF the other day and it even freaked him out a little! I've found talking about it before they turn them is best. I like to talk with those in the car seat section of stores and explain "well, i would suggest this seat b/c it rear faces longer and the longer you rear face the better. If the child is turned before their body is ready in an accident they can be killed from the forces of the accident. its called internal decapitation, he/she looks absolutely perfect but the forces have pulled so hard on their neck so quickly it literally cuts the spine in half and kills them instantly. No one knows exactly when this risk is reduced, in fact some adults have died of it, its best to use a rear facing car seat as long as possible to make sure your child's neck is as advanced as possible before forward facing." It works every time and pretty much ends the 'feet scrunched' issue. Most parents i've explained it to decide for themselves a RFing seat is their only option. I've ran into one person who didnt listen, my own SIL, she only turned DN rear facing b/c he threw things at her while she drove.

C

childrestraintsafety

Dreaming_of_Speed said:
I explain internal decapitation in the most brutal and gruesome way. I was discussing the idea with DF the other day and it even freaked him out a little! I've found talking about it before they turn them is best. I like to talk with those in the car seat section of stores and explain "well, i would suggest this seat b/c it rear faces longer and the longer you rear face the better. If the child is turned before their body is ready in an accident they can be killed from the forces of the accident. its called internal decapitation, he/she looks absolutely perfect but the forces have pulled so hard on their neck so quickly it literally cuts the spine in half and kills them instantly. No one knows exactly when this risk is reduced, in fact some adults have died of it, its best to use a rear facing car seat as long as possible to make sure your child's neck is as advanced as possible before forward facing." It works every time and pretty much ends the 'feet scrunched' issue. Most parents i've explained it to decide for themselves a RFing seat is their only option. I've ran into one person who didnt listen, my own SIL, she only turned DN rear facing b/c he threw things at her while she drove.

Do you mind if I add some of what you wrote to my website?

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
No, go ahead! I will warn you most of that is stuff i read about it posted by other members here, i havent studied the condition in detail myself so i dont know if that is entirely accurate. (but i assume its pretty much 100% correct, i've yet to see an incorrect fact posted by the ladies on this site)

C

CRV

Not enough information out there

I don't think there is a lot of information out there about why rear-facing is better. My manual just says wait until 1 year and 20 lbs. My car-seat label says that and my parenting books don't mention car-seats at all. I think there really needs to be a massive campaign in Drs. offices, magazines, television, schools, parenting groups etc. explaining why rear-facing is better.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Same here, the safety of rear facing is not emphasized enough and internal decapitation is indeed an attention grabbing phrase. Just wanted to add a very compelling link that was posted on the BB carseat board recently to reinforce the importance of rear facing even beyond a year of age to protect the spine, with photos showing the differences in vertebral development in a 1 year old vs. a 6 year old:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=44503&mesg_id=44503&page=2

skaterbabs

Part of teh problem is although we know why RF is so much better, the organizations that people look to for information don't make it widely available AND they keep pushing the outdated 12/20, forgetting that if they pushed 18/30 that 12/20 would automatically be covered.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, I was very disappointed last weekend when a news clip in NYC with a Safe Kids rep (of all people) said only 12 + 20, not until the maximum limits of the convertible :( I'm hoping that perhaps the news station omitted the last part instead of the Safe Kids rep forgetting to push for safest practice....

Internal decapitation usually does the trick, as does reminding them that the slots they're using might not be reinforced for FF & as such the child might be ejected (ejected passengers are 4 times as likely to die) :eek:

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Internal decapitation!!!:eek: The phrase makes me shutter and sick to my stomach. My daughter will be one year old next week and is 21 pounds and riding in a Britax Marathon. We won't be turning her around until she exceeds the weight limits of the seat rear facing. Although, I do see the temptation turning the seat forward facing. I could see her better, I could slide my front seat back finally. However, the advantages of turning her forward facing (for my convenience only) are not worth risking her life. Rear facing longer needs to be explained to parents. Even the hospitals only tell you 20 pounds and one year. I've had four children and that is what they told me with every one of them!!!! Our doctor office even tells me that when I take her for shots!!!:eek: :eek:

melaniev

YES - for a while, I actually thought that for some reason it was SAFER to have them forward-facing at 12 months! The phrase that stuck in my head though, was "every passenger would be safer rear-facing".

C

childrestraintsafety

skaterbabscpst said:
Part of teh problem is although we know why RF is so much better, the organizations that people look to for information don't make it widely available AND they keep pushing the outdated 12/20, forgetting that if they pushed 18/30 that 12/20 would automatically be covered.

Normally I would just the 18/30 instead of 12/20 but our seats here only rear face till 26lb.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
BABYGIRLLYNDSEY said:
Even the hospitals only tell you 20 pounds and one year. I've had four children and that is what they told me with every one of them!!!! Our doctor office even tells me that when I take her for shots!!!:eek: :eek:
Tell me about it -- I'd struck up nice conversation with a family at the theater a few weeks ago ... then as we were leaving I saw them put their 13 month old 25# FF -- she's a L&D nurse :(

B

bucket2

I've countered the "scrunched feet/leg" argument with:

Rear facing is safer. It provides more protection the head, neck and spinal cord. I even "demo" the crash impact with a push on the back of the rear facing seat or a pull on the harness straps. (Most people wonder about the 'play' in a correctly installed rear facing seat anyway.)

Then I ask, "Which would you rather deal with - a broken leg in the unlikely event the "scrunched" leg gets "crunched" or a broken neck/spinal cord injury from your child's head flying forward?"

Simplysomething

The other day I had a woman come to my register with a baby about the age of my sons and we started talking about how hot it was. I told her, yeah it was really hot--and since my son was still rear-facing, it felt like he was right there in the sun. She goes, so your 15 month old isn't 20 lbs yet?

I told her, no, he's about 24 lbs, and she started on about the whole leg thing. At that point I didn't have the enegry to correct nor to direct her to this site or any other. Just the leg thing is wide spread notion.

Everytime I mention that my sons seat goes to 35 lbs rear facing (it's the scenera...lol) to my sil, who has a 5 month old... she sorta brushes me off. I'm not sure if she thinks I'm nuts or not.. (But there is a strong possibility that my youngest niece will be turned around before my youngest son...and she's 10 months younger than he is!)

Though, a rear facing seat is a pain in the butt, lately. Frankly, if stuff wasn't so far away, I'd just give up on driving completely. lol

(Edited some spelling, I'm sure there are more mistakes...sorry about that)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The leg thing came up in class last week as well. I interjected how Piper sits in her seats (the instructors frowned, but of course as she's under the weight limit I'm not doing anything "wrong") and then printed out pictures that night and brought them in and showed how a nearly four year old sits in the car. In one picture she had her legs cross, in another they were straight up the seat back.

"Bent legs don't break!"

"Broken leg, cast it. Broken neck, casket."

Sigh. As much as I loved my class their constant 12/20 and rare "maximum limits" and several "when they're talking they HAVE to be turned" annoyed the piss out of me.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC