Wondering about Marathon covers

oursonend

So I am thinking of buying a Marathon for DS to replace his SS1. I think it will fit RFing and puzzle around the Radian fairly well from what I've read, and judging by so many helpful pics in the 3 across thread.

Now I'm thinking covers. :p I like the look of Onyx but I can't tell from the pictures whether it's soft and fuzzy, or slippery, or cavassy, or what. Can someone describe it for me?

And what about Cowmoo? Soft all over?

Also, what about Windowpane? I've seen a few around and they don't look soft/fuzzy, but I can't really tell. Are they cotton?

Any thoughts about whether some covers are better in summer vs winter? We have REALLY hot, muggy summers here (although I do have A/C in my new car now, so that's not as much of an issue as it has been previous years).

TIA!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The Onyx is fuzzy on the sides and slippery in the middle. Cowmoo is fuzzy all over. I would go for the Onyx, or maybe a couture cover.

oursonend

That sounds like a good idea. (Unless I catch the multiple covers bug... lol but I don't really see that happening).

What is a couture cover? What's special about them? (And where do they come from?) :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
That's what I said. 1 year ago, I had no car seats. My DD and DS were 15. I used my friends car seat, and just installed them in my car. Now I own 12 car seats, buying #13 on Friday. My Radian has 2 covers. My Marathon has 3 covers.

The couture covers you have to buy on a seat, or used, as far as I know. I have dragonfly.

oursonend

Heh I can definitely see how the seat collection grows. Already I am planning to hang on to an "extra" that I don't need once I buy DS's new seat.

Of course if my TBW wisdom has taught me anything, accumulation is the name of the game. :)

I have a little theory that for a successful online forum community to exist, there needs to be a common shopping trend. From the few that I am part of, they all have a common consumer interest, even though not everyone IS shopping. It brings the group together when someone posts "hey lookie" and we all get to ooh and aah and then fantasize about what we might like. I tell ya, this internet community thing is darn fascinating. ;)

(All that to say... I might want Onyx AND Cowmoo. :rolleyes:)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I took pics of my couture cover. For being bad pics, I think they really show how it feels.

100_0074.jpg

100_0077.jpg

Oh, and I am with you on getting the Onyx and cowmoo. I have the Onyx for my Regent and love it. I so want a cowmoo!

steph

I have the cowmoo and live in So Cal and have had no issues with heat or sweating (even though it gets over 100 degrees). I'm probably in the minority with Onyx but Ryan sweats more in his Onyx BV (the outside black is plusher that the cowmoo the nylon is hotter for him) than he did in his Park Avenue BV or currently in his Cowmoo MA (both the soft fabrics).

oursonend

I have the cowmoo and live in So Cal and have had no issues with heat or sweating (even though it gets over 100 degrees). I'm probably in the minority with Onyx but Ryan sweats more in his Onyx BV (the outside black is plusher that the cowmoo the nylon is hotter for him) than he did in his Park Avenue BV or currently in his Cowmoo MA (both the soft fabrics).

That's interesting to note. I have a neighbour with Cowmoo--maybe I will ask them how they find it in the summer and see if I can touch it. :)

mom2juliarose

I'm probably in the minority with Onyx but Ryan sweats more in his Onyx BV (the outside black is plusher that the cowmoo the nylon is hotter for him) than he did in his Park Avenue BV or currently in his Cowmoo MA (both the soft fabrics).

DD, too, was very sweaty in the Onyx when we had it on her seat. She currently has New Denim on her seat and I *love* it and she never seems to get hot/sweaty. We've had her MA for a few years so now the cover is sooo soft like a pair of favorite jeans! As a backup I have a Houndstooth cover, and in the "winter" here I'm using a UNC cover I bought from somewhere here which is very fuzzy/plush and navy blue.

I bought the New Denim specifically for the hot summers, though, and it hasn't failed us yet! (I have a sweaty kid.):thumbsup:

oursonend

Ooooh houndstooth? :eek: I would freak out if I found black/white houndstooth somewhere. Lol LMK if yours is b/w and you ever want to part with it... :whistle:

mom2juliarose

Ooooh houndstooth? :eek: I would freak out if I found black/white houndstooth somewhere. Lol LMK if yours is b/w and you ever want to part with it... :whistle:

No, the houndstooth is like a light gray/dark gray. Not the pretty black/white. I don't think it sold very well. And it has bald patches, which is why it's our spare cover!

nurse4kidsrjn

Ok, I took pics of my couture cover. For being bad pics, I think they really show how it feels.

100_0074.jpg

100_0077.jpg

Oh, and I am with you on getting the Onyx and cowmoo. I have the Onyx for my Regent and love it. I so want a cowmoo!

What cover is this and how old is this? I love it. It's obvious not available in Canada? If you ever decide to sell... Please contact me.

natysr

As I was driving home today I just kept thinking about how much I love my Onyx cover. The inside is nylon like, the outside is soft. We really like it.

In my other car we use a Denim cover in the summer and a Graystone cover in the winter.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have several covers for my seats, and while Onyx has it's place, it's my least favorite. We've had far more sweating issues with it, over any other cover. So they are now the back up covers/seats.

Our favorite is Hampton (for the DC) and New Denim for the MA & RA. I also have Granite for my MA that I LOVE as well.

BudgieStew

Hi Rebecca,

If we ever get together so I can give you those dipes and you are still trying to decide which cover you can take a feel/look at the Onyx, a plush and Couture cover.
Onyx is great for the winter though as it hides all the dirt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC