Extra Eyes on Zellers Flyers, Please!

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm always missing things in the flyers... could I enlist you folk to spam me the next time the First Years' Travel System goes on sale? I have a sneaking suspicion my newest cousin is in an Evenflo infant seat that expired in 2004 :)eek:) simply because it fits in the "perfectly good" stroller it came with.

Thanks!

ADS

PEIMommyof2

I just got my zellers flyer today and guess what:D

$100 off The First Years Travel System On for $199.97 reg 299.97 Sale starts Sat Nov 22-Friday Nov 28
HTH

canadiangie

Wow, that's a great deal.

OP, have you seen the infant seat IRL? Played with it?

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the harness being cut-out so to speak. It looks to me like a person would almost have to use the head hugger all the time...? Or the baby's head would sort of be sitting on big cut-outs. ??

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

unityco

I've only seen it quickly, but for the price it's hard to find anything else in Canada that's front adjust and covered in EPS. :thumbsup: I also have no idea how good that stroller is (but it's got to be at least as good as a 10yo Evenflo one! ;))

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, that's a great deal.

OP, have you seen the infant seat IRL? Played with it?

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the harness being cut-out so to speak. It looks to me like a person would almost have to use the head hugger all the time...? Or the baby's head would sort of be sitting on big cut-outs. ??

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

The TF has the same kind of cut outs and it doesn't bother my dd. I think in the case of the infant seat it's so padded that the kid won't notice the space where the cut outs are. The seat pad is quite padded.

I have 2 concerns about it, and it's based on speculation. I imagine if something additional was needed for angle, it could be hard to use with the shape of the front of the foot. I also wonder what the lock-off is like to use - I could see it being difficult to open if the seatbelt was super tight already when it was shut. I haven't installed one before though, so this is just what I wondered when I looked at it..

The other thing is it can't be used without a base, and apparently extra bases aren't available for purchase yet?

It's light weight though, and has a nice angle indicator. The handle is comfy to carry, it seems like the shell is a decent height. Overall I think it's a nice seat and $200 is a wonderful price. It would be a contender for me if we had another kid just because of the 4lb min weight limit. But I reserve the right to change my mind once I've actually installed one and/or seen a kid in one. ;)

canadiangie

The TF has the same kind of cut outs and it doesn't bother my dd. I think in the case of the infant seat it's so padded that the kid won't notice the space where the cut outs are. The seat pad is quite padded.
I have 2 concerns about it, and it's based on speculation. I imagine if something additional was needed for angle, it could be hard to use with the shape of the front of the foot. I also wonder what the lock-off is like to use - I could see it being difficult to open if the seatbelt was super tight already when it was shut. I haven't installed one before though, so this is just what I wondered when I looked at it..

The other thing is it can't be used without a base, and apparently extra bases aren't available for purchase yet?

It's light weight though, and has a nice angle indicator. The handle is comfy to carry, it seems like the shell is a decent height. Overall I think it's a nice seat and $200 is a wonderful price. It would be a contender for me if we had another kid just because of the 4lb min weight limit. But I reserve the right to change my mind once I've actually installed one and/or seen a kid in one. ;)

There's just something odd looking about the cut-out factor on the infant seat though. The vertical cut-out run the entire length of the seatback (understandably) but the middle section (between the cut-outs) almost looks raised/forward. When I look at it all I see is gaps and cut-outs, yes it's super padded, but it's still odd IMO. I understand that having a no re-thread harness is super convenient, but IMO the sliding harness adjuster is a little friendlier for a kids head. Imagine a small newborn not being able to use the head hugger and instead having rolled blankets (a preemie for example, it's a 4lb seat afterall)... Their itty bitty head would be sitting directly over gaps and cut-outs. Not my cup of tea. :twocents:

OP, feel free to ignore my opinion though. It's just that, and opinion based on a 15 minute once over I gave the seat about 2mos ago (with cranky kids in tow). Just some random observations FWIW. Good luck and it goes w/o saying you're very kind to get your cousin a brand new car seat/stroller. :thumbsup:

unityco

Thanks for your thoughts and help, everyone! :) As it turns out, the aunties have already bought my cousin a new travel system (but my Mom wasn't sure which one.) Last time I was up there her sister told me she was giving the new mom her old system (the expired one) and I hadn't heard any different (despite my warnings. :eek:) Crisis averted!

For future reference... if you had to choose between a either a rear-adjust Snugride or Designer 22 or this Via, which you pick?

horseymom

For future reference... if you had to choose between a either a rear-adjust Snugride or Designer 22 or this Via, which you pick?

snugride FOR SURE! I had a rear adjust and yeah it was a pain but you get used to it. As far as the other one (a few of my friends and family have them) they are hard to fit in vehicals...meaning it's a no go in the center b/c it dosen't allow the seats to be back.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I haven't seen a baby in the Via, or installed one to have a 100% for sure opinion, but from playing with the Via, and having a strong dislike for back adjust seats, I'd say Via.

The designer 22 seat is one of those ones that sometimes is a breeze to install, but in other vehicles a royal PITA, though if it was a front adjust designer 22 it would really come down to install and fit of child. It's just really hard to say without having actually seen a child in one.

(Tam, did you happen to get a chance to try your dd in it? I know you'd been looking for one to play with when it was first posted about here, but came up empty. I'd love to see a kid in it and get your thoughts. :))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC