Question "Best" car seat?

speedemn

Is there any such thing as a definitively best car seat? Or will that question get as many different answers as people who answer it? :) I am new to all things baby and I have read through a bunch of threads on this forum and could not find any "definitive" answer on what is the best.

For example, when shopping for flat screen plasma TVs, there is no question that Pioneer Elite is the best of the best, if not the best TV ever made. Whether that justifies its price is another question.

The primary "residence" for this baby seat will be in a 2008 model-year SUV so it should have all the basic requirements for fitment and adjustability. What I am curious about is, price aside, what is the hands-down best baby seat that you can buy out there (well, top 3 maybe)? Is there a way to answer that?

Thanks.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
"Best" is very subjective in terms of carseats, as they all must pass the same testing standards to be certified for sale. Techs have a mantra that states the best seat is the one that fits your child, fits your car and will be used properly each and every time. :) While approving your post, I noticed your Canadian location, so I'm moving it over to the Canadian and International section of the forum to assure you receive advice about available Canadian carseat models.

It would also be helpful if you could post back to clarify whether you're looking for infant seat recommendations (i.e., a carrier style infant seat with a carrying handle that's rear facing only) or a convertible seat that may be used rear facing and then turned forward facing once the little one has reached the convertible seat's maximum rear facing capacity, or both types of seats. If you're shopping for a baby who has already arrived, the baby's current age and stats (weight and height/length) would also be helpful for tailoring suggestions for you. :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The best seat is the one that fits your vehicle, fits your child, and fits your budget/needs.

Questions to answer to help you narrow it down...
1. Vehicle year/make/model?
2. Child's age/weight/height?
3. Is the carseat staying in this vehicle or is it moved around a lot to other vehicles?
4. Do you travel by airplane? How often?
5. Do you plan on more children or have other children?

Top infant carriers (no particular order)...
1. Graco SafeSeat1
2. Chicco Keyfit
3. Graco Snugride

Top convertible seats (no particular order)...
1. Sunshine Kids Radian
2. Britax Marathon
3. Compass/First Years True Fit
4. Evenflo Triumph Advance

The best seat for you will most likely come from those lists, but answers to the above questions would help narrow it down further.

speedemn

The best seat is the one that fits your vehicle, fits your child, and fits your budget/needs.

Questions to answer to help you narrow it down...
1. Vehicle year/make/model?
Primary vehicle: 2008 Toyota Rav4
Secondary vehicle: 2003 BMW 540i
Extremely unprobable for the seat to see this car but a distinct possibility: 2007 BMW M5

2. Child's age/weight/height?
The child is currently unborn. :) (peanut size)

3. Is the carseat staying in this vehicle or is it moved around a lot to other vehicles?
It will potentially be moved around but not very often at all. Weight of the seat is not a factor for me. I will be doing the heavy lifting, not my wife.

4. Do you travel by airplane? How often?
Once or twice a year (with kid).

5. Do you plan on more children or have other children?
This is a first child but there will potentially be more - a couple of years down the road (so 3 or up to 4 years from now).

Top infant carriers (no particular order)...
1. Graco SafeSeat1
2. Chicco Keyfit
3. Graco Snugride

Top convertible seats (no particular order)...
1. Sunshine Kids Radian
2. Britax Marathon
3. Compass/First Years True Fit
4. Evenflo Triumph Advance

The best seat for you will most likely come from those lists, but answers to the above questions would help narrow it down further.
My wife is a nurse in labour and delivery and from what she has seen and read around the hospital, Peg Perego seems to be the "Cadillac" brand of baby products when it comes to car seats and strollers but I do not see that on the list (and I gotta say a very small percentage of people here even mention it). Do the Peg Perego products such as the Primo Viaggio SIP (Canadian model which is 22lb/30" in 2008) not fit in this category for some reason or is Peg Perego just not as popular in the US (where most of the threads were that I was reading)?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
With a newborn and airplane travel, you'll want to start out with an infant seat... easier to move around and travel with and fit newborns much better than convertible seats.

Out of the three I originally listed, the Snugride is generally easy to use and what I would consider to be a budget option if money is tight.

The Graco SafeSeat1 and the Chicco Keyfit both have built-in lock-offs, which means you do not have to mess with locking clips or locking your vehicle seatbelts.

The advantage to this (sorry, long explanation)...

Your vehicles have switchable retractors. When you pull the seatbelt all the way out, it switches to (ALR) locking mode. You will hear a clicking noise as the seatbelt goes back into the retractor and if you try to pull it back out again, it will not come (until it's retracted all the way back in - which switches it back to unlocked/ELR mode).

The disadvantage to the switchable seatbelts when you have a rear facing seat happens when you go over bumps, the seatbelt tends to slowly retract itself a little more and more and eventually the shoulder portion is pulling up on one side of the rear facing child restraint and causing it to lean to one side.

This is not dangerous, but after awhile the seat needs to be re-installed to level again and it just tends to be slightly annoying.

The built-in lock-offs mean you do not lock your seatbelt and there is no tilt factor to worry about.

Of course, this could be a moot point because all of your vehicles have LATCH/UAS and if the child restraint is installed in an outboard position, you can use LATCH/UAS and completely avoid the seatbelt all together. :)

You can not use LATCH/UAS in the center position to install because you would be borrowing anchors from the outboard positions and this is not allowed per your vehicle manufacturers. If you install in the center position you'll need to use seatbelt. The Rav4 has a bit of a wonky set up in that center position (due to the seatbelt being offset into the driver's outboard position), so I'm not positive that a seat will install nicely in the center position... you may need to install outboard regardless.

The Peg is generally forgotten about soley due to it's price point. It is a very nice seat though and if it's one you like, then by all means go ahead and purchase it. It fits small babies very well and is a nice cushy seat. A good friend of mine owns one and came home with her daughter just barely at 5lbs fitting beautifully.

The Pegs also only used to be allowed/able to be installed with the base, which gave it a huge disadvantage if you ever wanted to install it in a secondary vehicle without pulling the base out of the primary vehicle. This is no longer an issue as they are allowed/able to be installed without the base.

The Chicco is brand new to our market, so even though it's price point is high, it's still got enough other features that make it worth that price (to some).

Most kids will fit in the Peg and the Chicco until somewhere between 10 months - 13 months old. After that you'll need a convertible to continue rear facing and then eventually turn forward.

Most kids will fit in the SafeSeat1 until somewhere between 18 months - 2 years old. It's weight limit and height limit allow for longer time in this seat.

We strongly encourage parents to rear face to the limits of their seats and aim for 2 years old as a minimum whenever possible.

There is no wrong choice between the three seats (Peg PV SIP, Graco SS1, Chicco KF). They are all very nice... it just matters which one you like the best and how they install in your vehicle. Head to a store and try them out in your vehicle to see what you think. :)

mommycat

Most kids will fit in the Peg and the Chicco until somewhere between 10 months - 13 months old. After that you'll need a convertible to continue rear facing and then eventually turn forward.

Most kids will fit in the SafeSeat1 until somewhere between 18 months - 2 years old. It's weight limit and height limit allow for longer time in this seat.

We strongly encourage parents to rear face to the limits of their seats and aim for 2 years old as a minimum whenever possible.

Just want to clarify that while "most" kids will last to the ages as stated, some do NOT, these are just the typical ages to outgrow the seats. And that even with the SafeSeat, you will likely need to get a convertible seat after it is outgrown if you want to RF as long as possible, especially if baby outgrows the seat by height well before weight. I have learned that one cannot really always count on the plans one makes with the "most kids" statements. :eek:

theshapeshifter

Just one other quick word about guesstimating how long an infant seat will last you before needing to move up to a convertible - if your gene pool suggests baby might be on the taller side, bear in mind that the infant seat may be outgrown far sooner than the 'averages' suggest. My DS was in a Graco Snugride at first and was pushing the height limit by 5 months old, at which point we had to get a convertible seat. I still felt the Snugride was worthwhile, since it was nice to have the convenience of the 'bucket' seat at first, but just something to keep in mind when planning/budgeting for seats; I'm glad I didn't get a pricier infant seat for the short length of time we wound up using it. (Oh, and my husband and I aren't "freaky tall" or anything, I'm 5'8" and he's 6')

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
"Most kids" statements are just that... most kids. It definitely does not mean all kids... which is why I didn't state all kids. ;)

I do understand some kids are taller. My oldest has a long torso and outgrew the old Snugride (20lbs/26" model) at just shy of 5 months old... due to height. Whereas 'most kids' last in that seat until 6 - 7 months of age.

The most kids statements are provided as general guidelines for parents (especially new ones) so that they have a general idea on how long to expect a seat to last. Most parents find it helpful when trying to budget for their next seat. :)

mommycat

"Most kids" statements are just that... most kids. It definitely does not mean all kids... which is why I didn't state all kids. ;)

I do understand some kids are taller. My oldest has a long torso and outgrew the old Snugride (20lbs/26" model) at just shy of 5 months old... due to height. Whereas 'most kids' last in that seat until 6 - 7 months of age.

The most kids statements are provided as general guidelines for parents (especially new ones) so that they have a general idea on how long to expect a seat to last. Most parents find it helpful when trying to budget for their next seat. :)
I know! I didn't mean to sound like I was saying anything you wrote. I just had a flashback to my own carseat shopping a while back when I made the mistake of assuming that "most kids" should mean that everything would work out like I was imagining, and the "most" part wasn't really sinking in for me. I guess I am projecting my issue with comprehension onto others looking for seats. :eek:

theshapeshifter

I know! I didn't mean to sound like I was saying anything you wrote. I just had a flashback to my own carseat shopping a while back when I made the mistake of assuming that "most kids" should mean that everything would work out like I was imagining, and the "most" part wasn't really sinking in for me. I guess I am projecting my issue with comprehension onto others looking for seats. :eek:

Same here!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC