Which car for 3 across?

NannyMom

WHen looking for a new (2008/2009) car, this is what I'd like to see in it:
-Can fit 3 across
-LATCH can be used in the center (either seperate anchors, or borrowing)
-Removable head rests

If this is what you were looking for, what car (not SUV or van) would you buy?

ADS

kaysmom

My in-laws just got a 2007 Impala and it fits your criteria (except I'm not sure about the headrest thing, never checked that) but it has LATCH in all 3 positions, and has a very roomy backseat for a sedan. That being said, I've only ever had DD's Marathon and Snugride installed next to each other in there, but when her Marathon is in the middle there is plenty of room for us adults on the other side!! Hope that helps a little

Pixels

I think the Honda Accords meet those criteria. I'm not sure about the headrest. I know that they do allow borrowing of the LATCH. And I know ppl have gotten 3-across RNs.

NannyMom

Honda doesn't allow all 3 seats to use the latch, but it can be used center OR outboard, before 2008. In 2008, they changed the seats a bit and the latch was moved further outboard, leaving too much distance in the center. The headrests are removable.

I did see an Impala on the road yesterday with removable headrests. Maybe it was an 08 or 09. My rental was an 07 and didn't have removable head rests.

My employers will be buying a new car in a few weeks, most likely an accord. But it all got me wondering...is there a "perfect" carseat frienly car out there. Looks like no :whistle:

occupant

My wife and I rented a 2008 Cobalt LS sedan recently. It was a very tight fit but we got two Sceneras and another forward facing seat in all at once. Drove it like that for 2 months and 7000 miles. The Sceneras used the LATCH system forward and back and the older seat used the shoulder belt, which does click tight if you pull it out all the way and let it retract. No locking clip needed. I wouldn't want to do this long term and would look into a 2008-2009 Impala to have some wiggle room. My wrists and knuckles were well bruised after installing three across in the Cobalt.

I looked at the list LuvBug03 linked to and was surprised to see the 02-05 Buick Century on there. Those are DIRT cheap these days and although bland and boring, seem to be reliable and comfortable. My mother has a 2003 model and loves it. She has been rear ended HARD twice since owning it and was well protected both times. Durango hit her the first time and second time a Lexus LS430. Both heavy vehicles.

EDIT: The Impalas are mix and match for back seat equipment. Models with the folding rear seatback are DEFINITELY not removeable...see pic:

2009-chevrolet-impala-50th-anniversary-edition-rear-seats.jpg

Even the basic models without the flip/fold seat have the headrests built into the seat, not adjustable, and certainly not removeable.

chevrolet_impala_2lt_2008_interior_rearseat_640x480.jpg

Last edited:

BW1426

Just because there is LATCH in all three positions, doesn't mean that you'll be able to install all three seats with LATCH. Also, why do the headrests have to be removable? I really like my G6 and can easily do three across. I haven't been in a G8, but can imagine that it would work well and I'm sure it has removable headrests just like the G6.

NannyMom

I know you may not be able to use all 3 latch. I like the option of using latch in any seating position (though, I know sometimes that still won't work in a 3 across). Only 1 child would need the latch. I prefer removable headrests :) I never tried the HBB in the Impala I rented, but it looked like the headrests would push the head of the booster out too far :confused:

My boss will be buying an Accord, I'm sure. I'm just wondering if there is a car like this out there, or if I'm just dreaming :) DH will need a new car sometime.....

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have an '09 Pontiac G8. It has LATCH in all 3 seating positions (can be used all at the same time). It doesn't have removeable headrests but I don't have any issues with installs due to them. They compress perfectly with every seat I have installed.

As for boosters my oldest is in a Parkway and again it's not been an issue at all. We have also had a Combi HBB & Graco Turbo back there and again no issues. I will most likely be getting her the Clek Oobr when it releases and I am not expecting any surprise with it either.

I can say one thing I have one kick butt ride it's not your boring old 4dr sedan that is for sure.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Just because there is LATCH in all three positions, doesn't mean that you'll be able to install all three seats with LATCH. Also, why do the headrests have to be removable? I really like my G6 and can easily do three across. I haven't been in a G8, but can imagine that it would work well and I'm sure it has removable headrests just like the G6.

It doesn't have removeable but they headrests are not an issue. With a little pressure they compress easily allowing a very easy install with all ff'ing seats I have tried. Currently have a Regent & Parkway installed in my G8.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC