Question on used seats

kmcenery

I see so many car seats on freecycle and CL. I have not looked in any thrift shops and I know none of the second hand childrens stores take used seats. If these people are giving away used seats is their any liability laws that can affect these people if the child is hurt in a car crash. Like if the seat is old, has been in a crash before things like that. Im in CA so not sure if laws are differant for differant states just wondering. I would like to try to work with the owner of my free cycle to have people to look over the used car seat check list and if it does not "pass" then have them contact me I will pick up the seat and take it apart and toss it out the way it needs to be. But if their was a law that these people could be sued because the child was hurt that may help me get some bad seats out of my town.

Thank you.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm in CA too. I'm on 2 freecycle groups (we have overlapping territory, lol.) Our freecycle clearly states that it is against freecycle rules to offer expired, crashed, or in otherwise poor condition child seats, and offers resources for recycling them instead. This is posted every month with the announcements, in with the information on recalls of childrens' items and such.

It is illegal to offer for sale or trade a crashed or expired seat in CA. But I don't think that offering as a gift can be construed as "for sale or trade." If you see one at a yard sale or a thrift store though, or offered for money on Craigslist, that is illegal.

kmcenery

I will have to re read our monthly email and see if its in thier. I have never seen it. If its not I will email the lady who runs it and ask her if she could make that a rule. We dont have a place here to take them to. Thank you.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In some communities the CHP will take and destroy expired seats. You can check if that is an option in yours. :)

2BunniesMommy

I'm also in CA and a Freecycle member and just wanted to say that the post is made on ours monthly also about used car seats and all baby and childrens products. I really doubt anyone reads it though. I have a Century Overhead Sheild from 1999 or 2000 (I think) in my garage that I got from Freecycle and emailed someone today that was offering a shield booster but hadn't heard back from her last time I checked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC