Do they really still make these????

super_grape

This was the free seat the hospital gave away
when I was a teenager...well an older teenager, like
17 or 18...but I'm 31 now so it was quite a while ago:) !

http://www.mercurydistributing.com/carseats-93000fsm.asp

I know it's better than nothing but that's just not going to fit
a small baby. I saw a itty baby in a store the other day in a
Century 3 pt. and she was so far from where the straps buckled
that it wasn't really between her legs...more like at her feet:( .

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yeah, they're still made. I'm pretty sure that's the kind that one of my instructors uses at her hospital in the L&D floor. It's not ideal, but if you don't have anything, it's at least something. A 3 pt can be just as safe if you take the time to adjust things right and more than likely you'd need to add blankets in the crotch area and around the body for support.

super_grape

Well, SOME 3 pts. can be just as safe.
When my oldest was small I put her in
an Arriva and she didn't even come close to fitting in
that thing...rolled up blankets, washcloths, etc. will
help but when there is too much room there's just too much room, kwim?
I guess I'm just surprised that "they" continue to distribute this
seat because the design is old and there are much better
"cheap" seats out there. Altho, when you are ordering many seats
for a give-away program, $5 xtra a seat will make a huge difference!

On another note, I think it's great that some hospitals in the States have
this option for people! I wish we had programs like that here in Ottawa.
My friends that have babies in the states go home with tons of "freebies",
I had to leave my unused tylenol up here:rolleyes: , but I do like our
healthcare system...while not perfect it is pretty nice!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I got a ton of formula w/ Evan which I didn't need or want, but they definitely push that. I wish they'd push carseats instead! lol I know the hospital I'm delivering at again is setting up a carseat inspection station and is planning on checking and installing seats I believe before the babies leave etc. I think that's great! No one checked anything besides the boys had seats when they were born and we have a terrible misuse rate here. The hospital my instructor works at is pretty 'poor' and has a high immigrant population that knows nothing about carseats so these are good starter seats if nothing else to get them home and through a few mos. I'm sure they have better seats for smaller babies from the NICU etc, but these are the normal seats they give. We had a 3pt for AJ and w/ enough blankets he fit fine. lol It's still scary to look back at those pics though~

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
HA! I bought that for my dd...who is now almost 16yrs old. I HATED the thing with a passion and got a different seat. I gave that thing to a friend who installed it FF!!! ACK! I do admit, the thing installed WAY to upright to be of any good to a newborn. And back then, we didn't use pool noodles to assist in the recline!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
P.S. Jennifer...I take it by your new siggy that baby #3 will be wearing pink?! How do you pronounce her name??

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yes, #3 is PINK! :) We're still up in the air a little on spelling, maybe I'll make a poll. It's Ih-lahna, short I and short o sound for lana. Make sense? I was thinking maybe Illana would help people say it right?

melaniev

I would stick with 1 "L" otherwise it starts like "illness". I knew an "Alana" and an "Alenna" growing up. very pretty.
It just occurred to me that you have 3 kids all younger than my "baby" which makes me think soon I will need to stop calling her "the baby". ;)

skaterbabs

melaniev said:
It just occurred to me that you have 3 kids all younger than my "baby" which makes me think soon I will need to stop calling her "the baby". ;)

I informed Gregory the other day that he would be my baby even when he's 110. ;)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
thepeach80 said:
Yes, #3 is PINK! :) We're still up in the air a little on spelling, maybe I'll make a poll. It's Ih-lahna, short I and short o sound for lana. Make sense? I was thinking maybe Illana would help people say it right?

Congrats! I know how much you were hoping for a girl! I'd love another baby of any gender...unfortunately, I had my tubes tied over 9 years ago. I've been praying for failure ever since! lol

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Melanie, that's what I was thinking too. lol I guess she'll learn to tell people how to pronounce it, I do it all the time w/ my last name and I really don't think it's that hard. :)

skaterbabs

LOL You should see people when I try to explain Joyjoy's name. We use the Welsh pronounciation of Rhiannon, but I don't bother correcting the American pronounciation as long as they actually say "Rhiannon-Joy" and not assume that Joy is her middle name. :p (Actually, Anjelita is her MN.)

Michi

skaterbabscpst said:
LOL You should see people when I try to explain Joyjoy's name. We use the Welsh pronounciation of Rhiannon, but I don't bother correcting the American pronounciation as long as they actually say "Rhiannon-Joy" and not assume that Joy is her middle name. :p (Actually, Anjelita is her MN.)

I totally know what you mean! My middle DD is Katie-Noel and it drives me nuts when people call her 'just' Katie!
(She was born on Christmas Eve, and so the 'Noel' is a very important part of her name!;) )

skaterbabs

Ree-Ann-On is the American pronounciation. The Welsh pronounciation is more like Ray-uh-non. So her name is Rhiannon-Joy, pronounced Ray-uh-non-joy.

She's named for both of her grandmothers, Rhiannon for my mother and Joy for MIL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC