Convertible recs for 7 lb newborn...

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I haven't kept up with all the new releases. I need recommendations for a mom with a 7 lb newborn. She would prefer a convertible seat for both convenience (she's a petite mom who won't be carrying an infant seat anywhere) and financial reasons. Her family might be able to help her purchase a more expensive convertible if it will last longer, like the Marathon. What are your top picks for this situation?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I know of a mom who is using the Radian for her approximately 8 lb. baby and it has worked well. It was not easy for her to get the Radian installed RF, but the lowest strap slots are a tiny bit below the baby's shoulders, so it works!

Best of luck to the new mom!

scatterbunny

I agree, Scenera or Radian because the bottom slots are low enough to fit most newborns properly. The Marathon, as much as I love it, has pretty high bottom slots that don't fit most babies well at birth.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
The roundabout and marathon both have ten inch bottom slots and allow the shoulders to be within one inch but below the top slots. This website has a few pictures of a 5 lb baby in the RA. I dont remember if the DC has any infant padding below the baby's butt to give them a boost but if it did, it wouldnt be a bad option. I think the boulevards so lower than the marathons (i should have measured this, i've had it all the way down and i think its about 8" but i dont know for sure.) Its expensive but provides better SIP and has infant padding similar to the decathlon.

Longhorn Lady

I JUST yesterday moved the 4.5 month old that I watch into my MA and her shoulders are just at the bottom slots. I can't even imagine how she would have looked as a newborn in there. It would have swallowed her.

I'd tell her to get a Scenera if she's willing to get a FF only seat later on. If she's only wanting one seat, go for the Radian.

U

Unregistered

I would get a Decathlon. The extra padding is great for newborns or young children.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Scenera -- nice low bottom slots & lightweight just in case she does need to move it for some reason :)

Radian -- if the vehicle has a very flat bench for installation (I haven't actually gotten my hands on it but it seems that with the install issues a vehicle that more closely resembles the bench used for testing would be good) ... or if the vehicle has reclineable seats to help move the vehicle seat as well as the carseat for tight installation :confused: :eek:

The Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard slots are a bit high; the preemie just fit in the BLVD with an adjusted age/size of 3 months so I would feel much more confident about a newborn riding in a Scenera!

soygurl

I've seen pictures of newborns in a boulevard and they fit very well. My best friend also has a boulevard for her newborn and she fit perfectly (though she was bigger at 8lbs and 21"). Still the pictures I've seen were of a 19" baby who was just over 7 lbs. I guess it really depends on torso lengh though. I personaly love the boulevard and would go with that. Or the decathlon. I like the infant inserts a lot.

~Kelsie

racesmom

Senior Community Member
An online friend used the Triumph for her newborn and was very pleased. She did have to use rolled towels to keep him in position- but then I had to with the SIV too. The lowest slots are 8". I would make sure the mom knew she'll probably need a harnessed booster at some point. If she can get family to spring for the Boulevard I'd go with that. I loved the Wizard when Zane was tiny- still do. I prefer the Boulevard over the Decathlon for the TSIP and the adjustable harness. I love the harness slots never being too high or too low on Zane's Wizards!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC