How unusual is he, really?

lemurmommies

I had to turn my son's True Fit FF because he's just too close to the weight limit (much to my surprise... secret growth spurt...), and I don't have a scale at home to weigh him every day.

RF he was using the 3rd strap height, and I thought that maybe since the angles were different once the seat went FF, he'd be able to use the 3rd strap height for FF too. But when I sat him in it after installing it, and looking at where the straps actually come out of the shell, he really IS over the 3rd height.

How odd it is that my less-than-two year old is using the top slots on the TF already? I know he's on the top slots of our MA (which is our back up seat), but since the TF has higher top slots, I guess I was expecting something different. Sigh. Maybe when he potty trains and loses that cloth diaper butt he'll have more growing room.

ADS

itzmeigh

I thought the True Fit had 17 inch harness?

Either way, I'd say you "less then 2 year old" has one long torso! haha! Not freakish. But long. I'd expect a 2/almost 3 year old to be into the top slot on a MA/True Fit. but not a not quite 2 year old.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think he is unusual to be so tall at his age, but maybe he'll be a football or basketball player - or maybe his height growth will slow down?

As for how unusual, I can't quantify that. But I'm guessing he's high end of the growth charts or else off them for height? So probably taller than 95% of kids anyways.

It's not a bad thing though - he's evenly proportioned, he's just large for his age. (Well, the large for his age is a disadvantage when he looks 3 but acts his actual age and people give you flack for it... but hopefully you don't have to deal with that.)

monstah

He's not unusual, just a big guy! LOL.

My son was 40 pounds at 24 months. I have no idea how long his torso was though. If it helps, he is now 3 years old and has only gained 1 pound!

o_mom

I think you will be surprised at how long it takes to get to that top one. They really start to sprout legs at at that age. Even so, he is pretty long so I might start saving up for something taller (Regent, Nautilus, etc.).

lemurmommies

As for how unusual, I can't quantify that. But I'm guessing he's high end of the growth charts or else off them for height? So probably taller than 95% of kids anyways.

We haven't done a well baby visit in quite some time, but last time we did he was off the charts for height. I think that even for his height though, that he has a long torso. I just feel like I have a bit of a freak and worry about long-term car seat solutions.

I think you will be surprised at how long it takes to get to that top one. They really start to sprout legs at at that age. Even so, he is pretty long so I might start saving up for something taller (Regent, Nautilus, etc.).

As much as I'd love a Regent, they're not approved in Canada. If they were, my spare MA would be gone and E would be in a Regent. As for the Nautilus, there not here yet either, but DS will be riding in one when we visit my ILs in Oklahoma over Thanksgiving. I'm interested in seeing how much extra growing room he'll have in it.

o_mom

We haven't done a well baby visit in quite some time, but last time we did he was off the charts for height. I think that even for his height though, that he has a long torso. I just feel like I have a bit of a freak and worry about long-term car seat solutions.

As much as I'd love a Regent, they're not approved in Canada. If they were, my spare MA would be gone and E would be in a Regent. As for the Nautilus, there not here yet either, but DS will be riding in one when we visit my ILs in Oklahoma over Thanksgiving. I'm interested in seeing how much extra growing room he'll have in it.

Ah! Didn't see that you were in CAN. I think the Nautilus will be there soon enough for you and the Frontier is at least a bit taller than the MA anyway. The diaper coming off will buy you some time as well.

snowbird25ca

It is true about the legs growing too. Jillian hardly gained any torso height for almost a year. Then of course she gained a bunch - though not 2" worth. ;)

At his age he probably has at least 1.5yrs left in the TF, and I'm guessing in the Nautilus he has at least 3yrs left even if he keeps growing fast in the torso, as I'd expect him to have over 3" growing room in the Nautilus if not 4".

BW1426

That is one long torso. E is almost 5.5 and she is still a smidge below the top slots.

lemurmommies

At his age he probably has at least 1.5yrs left in the TF, and I'm guessing in the Nautilus he has at least 3yrs left even if he keeps growing fast in the torso, as I'd expect him to have over 3" growing room in the Nautilus if not 4".

I'll have to take pics of him in the Nauti when we're down there for comparison's sake. If he likes it and we like it, we'll likely sell the MA sooner rather than later and get the Nauti in the summer when the baby needs to move from the Snugride.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unusual. But there are others out there... (she says as she regards her 97+%tile daughter who is almost to the 4th slots on her Radian at not-yet-7 months old...)

Melizerd

My DS is 36 inches tall and 22 1/2 months old. He's going to be a basketball player I think (lol).

I just got a Regent for DS and he's on the second slot of it.

snowbird25ca

if the cloth diaper is causing him to take up more space than without, isn't that causing the same effect as any other compressible item like a bundle-me?

Seriously SPB, I'm pretty sure you've brought this point up in many many threads over the years and have seen the answer many many times. Do you really want to hear it again? ;)

lemurmommies

My DS is 36 inches tall and 22 1/2 months old. He's going to be a basketball player I think (lol).

I just got a Regent for DS and he's on the second slot of it.

I'm jealous of your Regent!

I'm only 5 feet tall, but our sperm donor is over 6 feet. Guess who DS takes after.

if the cloth diaper is causing him to take up more space than without, isn't that causing the same effect as any other compressible item like a bundle-me?

I don't know how a cloth diaper would compress in a crash, honestly. They're form fitting to the body, tight, and dense. I'm not worried about them in the least, though, and considering the number of people who CD, I don't really think it's an issue.

shauburg

LOL. Our DS's are such twins! I think we got our True Fits around the same time as each other, to keep our then 18 month old 30lb guys RFing longer. Well, my DS is also now 33+lbs and 36+" at almost 23 months and I'm going to have to turn his TF around soon too.

He is also on position 3 when RF, but I just moved him there, so I'm hoping he'll be on position 3 for at least a little while when FF. Otherwise I'll be joining you in the "my <2 year old is on the top slots in his/her TF" group!

At least DS is not on the top slots of his other seat yet (Radian). And thank goodness I found this board before I bought his first convertible and did not end up with a 3-in-1 that he probably would have blown out of the top position of before he turned two!

mytwobugs

I don't have a true fit but I do have a little giant also. He turned 2 last month and was over 32# so I switched both the FPSVD he rides in to FF and found I had to put the harness in the top slots - ughh! His legs are long also, so it isn't just his torso.

(Well, the large for his age is a disadvantage when he looks 3 but acts his actual age and people give you flack for it... but hopefully you don't have to deal with that.)

I get the looks all the time about this. He also talks amazingly well in sentences so people assume he is a lot older. The people who do ask how old he is are very surprised!

Tyler'sMom1117

I have a giant too. People think he is 8 and he just turned 5 a couple of days ago. He outgrew his Triumph (older style) at 23 mo. by height. He outgrew by weight and height a seat we borrowed from my SIL at 33 mo. He then went into a Regent and he just outgrew that by height. He wears a size 7 pants, size 8/10 tops, and size 2 shoes.

He inherited the long torso from both sides of our families. We have quite a few relatives that are well over 6' tall.

Melizerd

I'm jealous of your Regent!

I'm only 5 feet tall, but our sperm donor is over 6 feet. Guess who DS takes after.

Lol figures right?

I have a giant too. People think he is 8 and he just turned 5 a couple of days ago. He outgrew his Triumph (older style) at 23 mo. by height. He outgrew by weight and height a seat we borrowed from my SIL at 33 mo. He then went into a Regent and he just outgrew that by height. He wears a size 7 pants, size 8/10 tops, and size 2 shoes.

He inherited the long torso from both sides of our families. We have quite a few relatives that are well over 6' tall.

Yup us here too. DH is 6'4", his brother is 6'4" my brother is 6'5" my GREAT grandpa was 6'6" my dad is 6'2". Heck even I'm 5'8" so is my mom and my husband's mom is 5'11". So DS really has nice tall genes :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC