Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Need help with 3-across in an '02 Jetta

My friend from another board has 4 month old twins and a 4-year old (turned 4 in Sept, is tall and about 45 pounds, possibly more). In her car (Chevy Equinox) the 4-year-old is in a Marathon, and the twins are in Graco Snugrides.

She's going back to work next Monday and the kids all go back to daycare, and her DH needs to do drop-off in his '02 Jetta. (Mom will do pick-up.) They have a Marathon and 2 Snugrides, but they don't all fit in the back of the Jetta. Her DH was willing to buy a booster for the 4-year-old, since this is the ONLY time they use his car. It's about a 5-mile drive. When he went to Babies R Us for some car seat clinic they had, though, he was told by a tech there that he couldn't fit a booster in the back seat with the Snugrides and instead they installed the Marathon on the front seat with the seat all the way back and told him he needed to get his airbags deactivated. He's called 2 dealerships and neither will turn off his airbags. And neither of them likes the idea of her DS in the front seat.

They are not really in a financial position to buy all new seats. They found out they were pregnant with twins just a few days after her DH lost his job. They are now back on track and he's working, but it's been tight.

Does anyone have any suggestions? And if it matters, they're in Phoenix.

Thank you!!
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Re: Need help with 3-across in an '02 Jetta

Did they try installing the infant seats without the bases?

The only other option I can think of is a Radian. I agree that it's really not likely that he'll fit a booster back there with the Snugrides.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Not to mention a booster would be hell trying to buckle in that tight of a space.

A Radian or a Ride Safe Travel Vest are probably their two best bets. Though the vest has the problem of needing to be buckled in, it would be easier than a booster.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

The Radian is going to be the best bet to try.
    CPST - Kyle David Miller Foundation - http://www.kyledavidmiller.org

Thanks ladies. I did mention the RiderSafe Travel Vest...

Mom was able to call the tech at the Mayo Clinic who helped her install the seats in her Equinox and the tech said, "How did they know they couldn't fit all 3 without trying?" So they have an appointment to go try either the 2 Snugrides (baseless or with bases) and a Marathon OR they have a booster to try if necessary.

I figure they'll go from there.

Thanks so much!!
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)