If you fly with your RN

Murphy's Law

I'm wondering if those of you who have done airline travel with a RN would do it again or opt to take a different seat. It'll be dh and myself and the 2 kids, and 2 car seats, the double stroller, and oodles of other crap that we must haul along. I like how the RN folds up but it seems really really heavy, especially to bring along 2. Also, how well do they install in plane seats?

We also have a comfortsport and an alpha omega that we could take along instead of the RNs.

Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's all we fly with! We used to travel with Piper's Wizard, but man, the Radian is SO MUCH EASIER. I just wear it on my back. It doesn't feel heavy. Piper walks, I have a roller bag, and that's it. It's so easy to install on the plane I don't bother preboarding anymore (Piper curls herself up under the seats in front of us so she's out of the way. That was her idea).

If I had to I'd take the Nautilus and get a Traveling Toddler to attach it to my luggage, but we have two Radians and one child, so we fly with that and only that and only will for her.

Wendy

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We fly a lot too, and my son's only seat is the Radian. It's great on the plane - it's narrow and low, so it's comfortable to sit beside, and your child can use the plane's table tray. We strap ours to a folding luggage cart, and DS can even ride in it that way (he doesn't always.) Since DS is older now, I considering dispensing with the cart and using the back pack option in the future.

HTH! :)

Murphy's Law

Okay, good to know! Maybe we'll try them out this time.

One more question. My sister has a Nissan minivan (quest, maybe?) and we'll be installing the seats in that when we arrive at our destination. Anyone know how the RN installs with a seat belt in that vehicle? She has 2 seats for her own kids in there already so I'm not sure if there will be enough LATCH spots for us too.

Thanks.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't, though I know I can install it in my Nissan Xterra. It's a bit of fun with the lap and shoulder belt, but in the center with the lap belt only it's easy.

If it's a 2001 or newer she should have at least three LATCH positions. The 2001 and 2002 had four, but the 2004-2007 have three (though the LATCH manual says that some vehicles are different. Don't quite know what to make of that....).

Wendy

tl01

I've traveled with the RN before. We wear it on our back in the carrying case. SK just came out with a new one and we haven't tried that one yet.. though we have it. We have used their old one... but I hear the new one is much better. The seat is a dream to install on the plane. The seat is a little heavy depending upon how far you have to carry it. DH's family usually picks us up from the airport when we arrive and they always park FAR away... (why they do this we can't figure it out). It usually takes at least 30 minutes from baggage claim to get to the car and by then the RN is getting heavy. It is nice though to be able to wear the seat to keep your hands free!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Absolutely, I would take it again. I was quite pleased with it. The weight is pretty much the only down-side, but the other features really make up for it.

I have flown several times with just me and DS and his Radian65. I love it and if I flew again would take it with me. He is 5 1/2 years old and it's been about a year since I have flown but even though it was heavy, I loved that it folded and to me was easier to carry.

HTH!!!

NVMBR02

It is also all we fly with. We use two carry straps on each and carry it on our backs. It is heavy, but while wearing it it isn't to bad. Now that I have used it, I would not fly with another seat for a FFing child.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Another vote for the only FFing seat that I will fly with... we have the backpack straps and adore them. No problems carting two Radian's, carry-on backpack, carry-on suitcase (rolling wheels kind), Maclaren Twin Techno and two kids. Easy peasy all the way through LAX (definitely not a small airport ;)), especially when you fly WestJet and are parked at the farthest possible spot from the exit. :D

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We flew with ours twice, hated every second, and now fly with our Nautilus which is wonderful :love:.

Murphy's Law

We flew with ours twice, hated every second, and now fly with our Nautilus which is wonderful :love:.

What specifically did you not like about traveling with it? Trying to see all pros/cons here before we decide which to take. We don't have a Nauti, so the choices are the RN, the AO, the comfortsport, or the EFTA which seems too wide to me for plane seats. We also have a Regent but I know we can't bring that one.

I may try to bring a RN and one of the other cheaper seats to see what works best for us.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It was very heavy, and awkward to carry. Also, when installed on the plane, the buckle was right in the middle of her back, which drove her crazy. We ended up putting a blanket in the belt path so it wasn't so uncomfortable.

Morganthe

I installed our radian on 3 out of 6 flights in a 30 day trip. (2 were international & 3rd I was totally exhausted, wimped out for a 25 minute flight :eek:) I don't know how I could have possibly travelled with anything else.

I have pictures of how I dealt with the 'beast' Here on a Target luggage cart.

In the airports, I had the wings folded in for space, but when we had dd riding in it the times from our bus to dh's rooms, they needed to be out for extra stability, especially maneuvering curbs.

When I installed it, I leaned the Airline-seat back, then depending on the buckle system, I'd twist down the one end so the fastenings would be on the outside of the seat. Only one time were they in back of her and since it was more of the side, than dead center, she never ever noticed or cared.
Pop the airline seat back up and it would be tight.

Yeah, it's heavy without a decent handle where the head area is, but I fastened a shoulder strap top side & it worked just fine to grab & maneuver.

There is no way I'd want to travel with a carseat with a base. Too much seat for the space, imo. I'm claustrophobic enough. The Radian fit extremely well into the narrow & tight constraints of aircraft we flew on with American. DD was perfectly happy. You can see here. She's listening to her stories on a small cd player tucked in beside her. :)
ry%3D400

She's 5 & 45" tall in the photo. Grew a half inch later on during our trip :rolleyes:

I'll be flying again with the Radian in March. (sigh) Yay for flying :rolleyes: :( But she'll be comfy and safe. So it makes hauling it around worthwhile.
hth & good luck

Murphy's Law

Very helpful, thanks! I am still trying to decide between the product that Wendy posted and the one you posted in your other thread. I need to measure my smallest wheeled luggage pieces to see if they qualify to be carry-ons or not. It would be lovely if I didn't have to take the stroller at all!

Between those 2 products I'm sure I can find something that will suit our needs. Thanks so much for all the suggestions, everyone.

lil96

I have used it rfing and ffing and as just a carry on. rfing was the only problem, it HAD to be in the bulk head, which then they had rules like "only one baby in the bulk head"(there was another baby there that was a lap baby and I had paid for a seat, they decided to bend the rules) "baby has to be in the middle so that it doesn't block the aisle" The flight sucked, but the seat was great. The first time baby was 5wks old, I was alone, baby in a snugli carrier, Radian on my back, boppy pillow, rolly bag, 15 minutes between connections, c/s incision still open (made worse by that day) But as misearble as all that was, I think it is far better than any other seat could have been in that situation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC