Flying

Baby D

I am flying from Charlotte to Pittsburgh in 2 weeks with DS. He is 4.5 months old and rides in a Diplomat in my car, Marathon in DH's car, and a Roundabout in the babysitter's car. He does have his own seat. I do not fly well.

I was planning on wearing him in the Mei Tei, carrying his diaper bag and the car seat. DH thinks I could strap the car seat to a rolling carry on to avoid checking any bags. Is is realistic to think I could make it through security and down the aisle of the plane with a baby on my chest, a bag over my shoulder, a carseat AND a carry on? We have a BOB stroller which doesn't fold up compactly and I wouldn't want them to handle anyway. Should I take the Roundabout or the Diplomat? Any other tips for making this easier?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Either the Roundabout or the Diplomat will be fine. They're the same size seat, install the same way, so whichever you prefer.

What I did when traveling with our Britaxes was to check luggage and put the seat on a luggage trolley that I bought. I'd fold the trolley and carry the seat down the aisle. The trolley would either go overhead, or get gate checked if it was a smaller plane (I would imagine the Charlotte to Pittsburgh run gets an A320 or so, though, so no small plane). If your bag fits down the aisle of the plane, though, I'd probably get a Traveling Toddler and strap the seat to the suitcase. Your LO, if you're comfortable with it, can ride in the carseat on the luggage. Or ride on your front.

On board I'm sure if you asked someone near you to put your bag up while you put in the carseat you'd have no problem finding someone who does it. I travel now with a child (though she's six), a carseat, my carry on, Piper's carry on, and my suitcase and either my bag sits there until I get myself settled enough to put it up, or someone puts it up for me. Probably 70% of the time someone else puts it up and takes it down for me. Probably 10% of the time someone carries it off the plane for me. People are nicer than you think, and if they don't offer if you ask you will get help. Especially a mom and a kid.

If you can, book an aisle and a window seat. The middle seat is the last to get filled and so you run a better chance of having three seats for the two of you that way. Install your LO rear facing, just as you would in the car. I always just put the buckle up through the slots in the cover and buckled it right on top. So much easier that way.

Have a good trip!

Wendy

crunchierthanthou

this is how i traveled alone with ds when he was 7 months. I checked the suitcases and didn't actually have the carseat on in that picture, but still had to manuever everything from the bag claim to the rental car.

travelingalone.jpg

this is how we travel with him now. It's just a luggage cart from Target that we secure with the LATCH straps.

0414081255-1.jpg

If I were you, I would probably do something between the two. I think strapping the carseat to the carry-on and wearing him is a great idea. Just be aware that you'll have to take everything apart to get through security (including unslinging the baby). You'll be able to preboard and get settled ahead of time and I would expect to wait until last to get off as well. In my experience, the flight crew or other passengers are more than willing to help you in both situations (even if it just means holding the baby while you install the seat).

You'll want to give him something to drink shortly after take-off and as you descend to help his ears pop. If you currently nurse exclusively, you may need to start working in the occasional bottle in preparation for that.

morninglori

I have flown by myself with DS when he was about 7 mo old.

I checked my one BIG luggage bag, and carried on the diaperbag, laptop and breastpump/milk cooler. I wore DS in my Beco on my back. I also took his EFT attached to the gogokids travelmate. I tried the Target wheeled carrier, but just didnt' feel secure enough for me.

Since I was wearing DS, I used the carseat as my luggage cart to get everything to check-in and the gate.

No problems with the car seat at security, they just considered it as an oversized item and did the wand and explosive swiping thing as they would for a stroller or wheelchair. I didn't have to take the wheels off either. I also didn't have to remove DS from the Beco.

When I got to the gate, I rolled everything to the plane and gate checked the seat (DS was a lap child). I am not too sure if you can install the car seat in the plane with the gogokids attached, I think maybe for RF, but not for FF....not too sure.

Anyway, there is currently a deal on the travelmate at onegoodie. it is regularly $90 and I think today it is $63.

One final thing...I have used the travelmate tons of times over the past 2.5 years. it is well worth it to me, and it packs up really small when you aren't using it.

HTH.

Baby D

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I am thinking it will just be too much to detach the car seat and take DS out of the Mei Tei to get through security and then get all attached again and do it again at the plane. I really want to check the suitcase. DH is trying to avoid the luggage charges but I don't think it will be worth it in hassle for me. DS rides great in his car seat and is bottle fed so I am not really concerned about the flight for him. It is a short one. My main concern was getting through the airport alone. I think I'll take the RA as it is our cheapest and oldest seat, just in case.

morninglori

Just wanted to emphasize that I have never had to remove DS from the Beco nor have I ever had to remove the gogokidz travelmate from the set to get through security.
I have flown alone with DS and all the gear 5 times since June.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When Piper was a little baby provided my sling was all fabric I could leave her in. Occasionally they'd wand us together. But as she got bigger and old enough they asked her to walk through separately, or at least on my extended arm, and with a ring sling or any sling with metal or buckles they asked me to remove it.

One thing I've learned about travel is that every airport is different. I was allowed to take my little 2 ounce bottle of purell to China, but the Chinese officials told me it wasn't allowed on the plane (then how praytell did it get to China? Duh). Even sometimes it depends on the day. So I would assume you'll be asked to remove the sling, but be happy if you aren't. Same thing on the carseat.

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes, you can now wear your children through security. They used to make you remove them, but now you don't have to.

vonfirmath

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I am thinking it will just be too much to detach the car seat and take DS out of the Mei Tei to get through security and then get all attached again and do it again at the plane. I really want to check the suitcase. DH is trying to avoid the luggage charges but I don't think it will be worth it in hassle for me. DS rides great in his car seat and is bottle fed so I am not really concerned about the flight for him. It is a short one. My main concern was getting through the airport alone. I think I'll take the RA as it is our cheapest and oldest seat, just in case.

When flying with the baby, I'd pay the $15 luggage charge each way and be glad that I had one less thing to deal with. (We are, however, going to try to pack for all of us in 1 bag instead of 1 each like we used to)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC