Friends

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a dear friend who is completely car seat illiterate! I did get her to buy her ds a MA. I installed it for her (ff), and showed her how to do it. Initally I installed it in the center of her Explorer, but she ended up moving it to the passenger side because she could get her son into the center (she was very pregnant). So I reinstalled it for her and showed her how to get it in correctly. She mentioned moving it the other day, and I thought Uh Oh...wonder how it's installed. So today I stopped by and sure enough, it was installed sooo bad. I'm not even sure how/why she thought it went this way! First thing I noticed was the seat was not in tight. Second, the seat belt was twisted. So I reached over, and unbuckled. Then undid the lock off. But the seat belt wouldn't come out. I finally figured out why...somehow she managed to route it through BOTH lock offs!!!!! So I undid the seat, and reinstalled it.

I really do not understand why people can not get their seats installed at least half way correct! It's not complicated. Oh well, at least for the time being, his seat is in right...till she takes it out again. :(

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Next time I would let her install it while you talked her through it. I have noticed if parents do not actually do the install themselves they never full get it. I also have both mom & dad do it so both know how it's done.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
It's very simple, they dont read the instructions! How else would ppl rig up the crazy things we heard about like knotted seat belts and FFing infant carriers (thankfully i'm yet to see this)

Michi

My best friend will not give up her "Mighty Tite" and it drives me nuts!
I have told her how dangerous it is and referred her to this site, but she still uses the darn thing.
She says..."If it's so dangerous then why do they still sell them? They would have been recalled if they were really that bad."
Grrrr!

menfusse

Oh, gosh. You should come here then. I have seen soooo many forward facing infant seats here it is frightening! I live in the smallest podunk town. I don't think you would find one person here that knows what a britax is. If it doesn't come from wal-mart, it doesn't exist. I got my seats check yesterday ( they were perfect!) and the tech. was like WOW!!! Where'd you get your britax???? He had never seen anybody around here with one...lol. I am lucky in that all of my friends are car seat dorks too, so I never worry about there installs.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I havent ever noticed one i should say but i check out every seat i get a chance to (i need one of those "dont mind me i'm checking out your car seat" t-shirts!) Our town is three small podunk towns that are growing into one as time passes (we arent fully there yet but its close) its right on the edge of a medium sized city so i have access to loads of seats if i drive far enough (half an hour and i think i can get anything excluding the safeguard seats, the radian (i havent found it anywhere yet but i havent looked every where either), and maybe the regent but i dont know)

I hate to go to target's car seat aisle there is almost always one person walking with another woman (pregnant) telling her not to spend to much money for a car seat and how the marathon is just stupid to cost 250 dollars. The woman saying this is normally missing one tooth and wearing her husbands shirt while she has two bare foot rug rats running around her with wet pants on. (am i the only person who immediately chances their kids clothes if they have an accident in public?) I made the mistake once of trying to explain why the britax was better than the others and OMG you'd think i was the devil! I didnt even bring it up first, i was talking with my MIL the differences in the RA and MA and she came over and butted in about how i should buy the Eddie Bauer HBB seat b/c its cheaper and can be used as a booster. I told her about the benefits on the britax and she went off on me and started cussing about being a rich *w*itch for buying the britax!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC