Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Lillian

When should my baby move out of the infant seat?

My daughter, Mia, is 6 1/2 months old. She weights 16.5 lbs and is 26 inches long. When should she move out of her snugride car seat? The manual says the limits are 22 lbs and 29 inches, but from reading on here I see that they can outgrown seat before the height limit if they have a long torso. So how far above the strap slots can their shoulders be? My manual doesnt say anything about this. Thanks!

Lillian

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Babies outgrow their infant seats by height when they have less than 1 inch of hard plastic above their heads. should slots height doesn't matter when RF because the straps should be at or below the shoulders.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Unregistered
    The infant seat is outgrown when one of the following happens:

Baby is at the weight limit

Baby is at the height limit

Babies head is within an inch of the top of the carseat shell

Babies shoulders are above the highest slot. RF infants shoulders must be at or below the slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    The infant seat is outgrown when one of the following happens:
    • Baby is at the weight limit
    • Babies head is within an inch of the top of the carseat shell
    CORRECT -- the inches listed are a guideline based upon when the average baby's head would likely be 1" from the edge

Babies shoulders are above the highest slot. RF infants shoulders must be at or below the slots.
    INCORRECT It is OK on newborns if the lowest harness slot is slightly above the shoulders ... but otherwise the harness slot must be at or below the shoulders for all RF infants, toddlers & preschoolers! (Best practice for small infants is to find an infant seat that does have slots low enough to be at or below instead of above).

If you don't carry your baby in the infant seat anymore, now would be a fine time to get a convertible ... but so long as the top of her head still has at least 1" until it reaches the inside edge of the carseat shell/frame then you've got a bit of time -- you could at least start shopping around now just for fun

The *best* carseat fits the child, fits the vehicle & will be used correctly every ride!

What vehicle year, make, model do you own? Will kiddo be riding in various vehicles? If you want to begin looking around now we can help you narrow down some good choices for you to decide between....
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Lillian
    Right now I own a 99 Honda Accord, but that will be changing in about 6 months. We are *planning* on buying a 2002 Lexus es300, but that could change too! I was planning on buying a Britax after she outgrows her infant carrier. I do still use the carrier to take her in store etc., also. She gets tired sitting up for long periods of time, so right bow we still use the carrier.

Lillian

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar
    That's fine if you use the carseat as a CARRIER only after it is outgrown by height.

I have several friends whose children outgrew their infant seats by height but were still unable to sit up, so going to stores with the babies was tough. They all used their infant carseats as carriers only when they went shopping. It made life a lot easier on everyone!

Just be prepared to explain to CPSAdvocates that you use an appropriate carseat in the vehicle when they approach you in public about the outgrown carrier
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}