• 4 years

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • 4.5 years

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 5 years

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • 5.5 years

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • When too big to rf (even if they are 6 years or older)

Votes: 44 51.2%
  • When the kid begs to ff

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters

christineka

Assuming child is normal, but small and can still fit (already age 4), when would you turn the kid ffing?

Last edited:
ADS

laccaycol

I voted when to big to RF,
I am still workin on my hubby for a Swedish seat:p Colton he just turned 2 on the 9th and is 29 pounds i dont think we have a ton of time left. I would like to keep him RF as long as i can even if that means getting a Swedish seat:D

mykidsmylife

Honestly Seth will be FF at 3.5 even though he may still fit a tad longer... But that wasn't an option up there so I am typing it out.

christineka

My dd will be 4 years in a couple weeks. She weighs 28 pounds, is 35 inches tall, and has a 12 inch torso. I am expecting baby number 6 in 7 months. Previously, I was thinking I'd just ff dd at age 5 no matter what, but now I've been thinking about how much easier it would be to have 3 rfing car seats along the back bench. Then we won't have to put a booster on a side seat, in order to flip the seat for back access. Or, at least we won't have to be flipping captain's chairs every time we get in and out. At this time I cannot predict when dd will outgrow rfing, but at the rate she's been growing I suspect she'll make it to at least age 5.

fyrfightermomma

Not sure. I have one of the weird kids who will last until age 7 or so. She FF's now occasionally. I thought at 3 I would turn her, but now I will do 4. After 4, that's it.

US seats are just not made to accomodate larger older children. Just cramming my tall 3 year old into the seat now is next to impossible.

Kat_Momof3

I really wish the choices had more detail.

I would leave them rf to the max if they didn't complain.

BUT... at 5, if they were wanting to ff, I'd be fine with it.

So... I put age 5... but really, I would also put rf to max.

it's kind of like with moving to a booster... I'd hold off as long as may be... but around 6-6.5, if the kid is really wanting to move, as long as the kid is mature enough, big enough, etc., I'm not going to pick that battle.

vonfirmath

Probably 3 max. But I suspect it will be 2 or shortly thereafter. I can find stats to support RFing to 2, but it is going to be very hard to go much farther than that because I can't really support it. It's a "feeling" for me.

Pixels

I voted 4. That's when I would be comfortable negotiating it, i.e. if she is asking for it. If she's not asking for it and there is no other good reason to turn her (problems fitting seats/vehicles unless she is FF), why mess with it? Even convenience of putting her in/out doesn't matter to me. If we can deal with it for 4 years, then we can deal with it, kwim?

Adventuredad

I voted 5 which I think is a good age (very subjective I know). At that point my kids are not fully developed and rear racing is still safer but the benefits are not as great as 0-24 months. I made it to 4 years with my son in his Britax Hi-Way. Weight was no problem but he was 95th percentile on height and simply outgrew the seat. My daughter is using the same seat and I think she will make it past 5. I would not ff my kids before age 4 regardless of circumstances

keri1292

Probably 3 max. But I suspect it will be 2 or shortly thereafter. I can find stats to support RFing to 2, but it is going to be very hard to go much farther than that because I can't really support it. It's a "feeling" for me.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Are you not aware of the success of RFing to 50lbs in Sweden?

I'd turn at 5-6 without a thought. :)
Six would be my ideal thanks to papooses chart.

solmama

Right now my ds is 2yrs 7 mos and 29lbs. I think he *might* make it to 3.5 or 4 in his TF before he outgrows it by height/weight (at his current growth rate). At that age, I'll be more comfortable with him forward facing.

NannyMom

I will keep my children RF as long as they fit. However, if my 6 year old were begging to be FF, I would certainly take her feelings into consideration. I know she'd be safe FF, but if she could still fit RF, and didn't beg to switch, I'd leave her RF :)

skaterbabs

If my kids fit RF, RF they'd be.

that said, if we ever have enough money to buy one of the new vans that allow use of the captain's chairs RF, I'd put the boys in them RF since CJ has outgrown most boosters and Gregory is getting close.

SPJ&E

This one is up in the air for me. As silly as it sounds, it really depends on the kid, for me. Pacey was a little over 3 yrs. old when we turned him FF (he never rode FF until then). He was still well within the RF limits, but it was time for us. If I had a larger vehicle, my answer might be different...but I don't. I have a small 2-door car and am extremely proud of making it as long as we did RF. Joshua is still rear-facing and will be until he is 3 yrs. old, at the least. We may go longer with him (he just seems so much smaller and younger than Pacey did), but I don't know.

Our bare minimum to turn FF is 3 yrs. old (assuming kiddo fits within the RF limits of the seat, which isn't a problem here), but I don't think we'd personally RF past 4 yrs.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I put till they're too big, but it's not always black and white like that. I had decided no matter Evan's weight, he would go ffing when the baby comes, so just after 4. He just gained a ton and had to go ffing this weekend b/c he was 35# dressed, he'll be 4 on the 7th.

christineka

I have so many kids that I could fit a bunch of rfing seats. There is no issue with fitting them. I wouldn't have to bend over backwards to rf 3. In fact, I think it would be easier than only rfing 2. Dd hasn't asked to ff yet, but she is a pain to get in her seat the proper way. She gets in backwards or upside down. Her little brother is much better about getting in his seat. My other kids were buckling themselves at age 4, so I wonder if dd has some sort of unspoken issue with rfing. Then again, dd is generally a pain and disobeys rules on purpose.

April

I put as long as they fit, but that being said, none of our kids fit rf'ing anymore and the youngest is only almost 27 months! (Time to change my siggy pic hey?!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC