Keeping 4 month old warm in and out of car

thismomsews

Hi-I was looking at getting a carseat poncho for our baby, but I read that it is not to be used in infant seats and not until 6 months old. :(

We have a Graco Safeseat 1 and the baby is 15 lbs at 4 months old. I never take the seat out of the car cause it is just too heavy for me to lug around. Now that it is getting colder here I want something to keep him warm when we go in and out of the car. I have a cover that fits over the carseat, but when I take him out, I have to hold a blanket over him. We have a thin fleece jacket with a hood, but I was hoping for something with more coverage. We are in and out of the car picking up my 4 year old from preschool, going to church, and running errands...

Suggestions please! :)

ADS

BW1426

How about a fleece bunting? I've also found the Patagonia Puff Ball to work because it is so thin.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never seen the Puff Ball before! They advertise that it is "highly compressible" and "compresses with ease." I'd want to see it to believe it but it sounds like it would be great for parents who want a "real" snowsuit IF you could train them to actually use the harness right!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sorry, got distracted by that!

Anyway, back to my answer. Fleece buntings are great and there are some very high-rated ones (meaning they'll take much lower temperatures) from Land's End and L. L. Bean. Right now LLB has a promo that if you spend $50 you get a $10 gift card...

skaterbabs

I actually recommend the shower cap-style covers instead of anything baby wears. You can get them in various weights, and I had one for my daughter with a water resistant nylon on one side and a soft fleece on the other. These allow you to keep baby warm between the car and the building, but come off easily inside so baby doesn't overheat. And if you need just a hair more warmth you can tuck a blanket around baby (AFTER buckling) before putting on the cover.

sparkyd

I've never seen the Puff Ball before! They advertise that it is "highly compressible" and "compresses with ease." I'd want to see it to believe it but it sounds like it would be great for parents who want a "real" snowsuit IF you could train them to actually use the harness right!

My DS (18 months) has the Patagonia Puff Ball jacket; I bought it specifically for the car. I'm not sure why they call it that because it isn't really puffy at all, although I suppose from a distance it kind of looks puffy. It is warm and very thin. I'd say it's about the same thickness as a fleece, but it cuts the wind and is water resistant. Downside - it was very expensive. I was actually going to return it because it cost too much but then we got caught with a cold day and no other warm jacket, so that was my justification for keeping it. :whistle: Very happy with it.

thismomsews

Thanks everyone-I don't know why I didn't think of the full body fleece bunting! Must be the sleep deprivation!! HA!! I checked out ebay this morning and won a columbia fleece bunting tonight-for less than $10! :thumbsup:

Wife&MomX3

I just have a really big, warm blanket that I wrap baby in on the way to the car, strap her in, and cover her up with it. Then when I take her out, just wrap the blanket back around her/us and run in the house. It's way quicker, and hence warmer cuz you're not out in the cold long, to just grab her out of the seat and run in w/ the big blanket keeping her warm, than wasting time outside putting her in and out of coats or jackets or anything like that.

keri1292

We had an adorable Columbia bunting with a funny jester hood when mine were little. :love: Another suggestion is for quick trips to the grocery store/Target/anyplace with carts...just park next to a cart corral and move seat and baby to the cart. You only have to manuever a few feet with the bulky car seat and babe gets to stay warm and asleep. ;)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I actually recommend the shower cap-style covers instead of anything baby wears. You can get them in various weights, and I had one for my daughter with a water resistant nylon on one side and a soft fleece on the other. These allow you to keep baby warm between the car and the building, but come off easily inside so baby doesn't overheat. And if you need just a hair more warmth you can tuck a blanket around baby (AFTER buckling) before putting on the cover.

but the OP said she ISN'T removing the bucket from the car, so she needs something ON the baby, because she takes the baby out of the carseat between car and building, etc. Right? Or did I misunderstand the OP? :confused:

to the OP, congtrats!!! I found a columbia sportswear coat for my dd at the salvation army last week for $1.50!!!!!:love: She now has a great winter coat for playing outside....now i just need to gte a good fleece jacket for the car......that doesn't bug, itch, scratch, tug, touch or in any way annoy her...*sigh* sensory issues...gotta love em...:rolleyes:

thismomsews

""but the OP said she ISN'T removing the bucket from the car, so she needs something ON the baby, because she takes the baby out of the carseat between car and building, etc. Right? Or did I misunderstand the OP? :confused:""

Right-I don't take the seat out of the car unless I really need to. (like when it is raining and it is better to lug the seat with the baby covered up rather than me getting wet taking him out of the seat! I don't take it in stores for a few reasons-I am 5 feet tall so I can't see to push the cart if I put it on top, it is so big it barely fits down in the basket, and my kids don't like hanging out in their seats anyway-I use a sling to carry him when I am shopping.

Anyway, I have been wrapping a blanket around him to carry him, but that doesn't work so well, so I am hoping this bunting works well-It is one with legs.

skaterbabs

Sorry, I've been a bit distracted the past few days and missed that part.

If it's no thicker than a high-end blanket sleeper (the really nice ones, not the cheap ones from Wal-Mart) then it's probably fine for the car seat.

Heamae

I got a really nice fleece suit for my baby two years ago at old navy, really cheap and it was very warm.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC