OT: Discipline methods for a wild and crazy 2 year old?

super_grape

Do any of you BTDT Moms/Dads/Nannies have any advice
on where to go for discipline advice(books, etc.)?
I have a high maintenance 2.5 year old and I'm looking
for constructive, positive ways to keep her from sending
me to the looney bin, lol!
I've been looking online and now my head is spinning, there's
just so much info out there!
I realize that not having enuf structure and schedule
is working against us, she does however have a good sleeping schedule,
thank heaven she's a good sleeper!
So I know lack of sleep is not the issue and for the most part she eats well,
just the occasional toddler hunger strike:rolleyes: .
I'm considering putting her in a nursery school 1-2 days a week
which I think will help, she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES being with
other kids in this type of setting and the activity would be good for her.
Really, I just want to find a way to discipline her w/o making
her feel like she's being *bad*....she's having a bit of trouble
dealing with all the attention that the baby gets and some of the
acting out is also due to that. She gets too rough with the baby
and has now started hitting us.
Anyhow, sorry for rambling:eek: ...if anyone could point me in the right
direction, I would appreciate it sooooo much!

Thanks!
Holly

ADS

scatterbunny

Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka is an awesome book! ;)

I don't have any great advice, my wild one just turned 5 and is even more spirited, vocal, dramatic and high-needs than she was at 2. :rolleyes: We have a few methods that stay fairly consistent: counting to 3/giving three warnings, time-outs on the bottom stair in our kitchen (where she can see the timer), OR, if she is being too loud/crying/screaming during the timeout (when she knows it's supposed to be time for calming down and reflection) she gets the time-out in her room, with Mark or I usually there. We add time to the time-out (not always calling her attention to it) if she hasn't calmed down or if she won't apologize and at least try to articulate that she knows what she did, and knows that it was wrong (obviously some of these methods won't be effective for a 2.5yo).

Just in the past few weeks we've started taking away her privilege of playing with the neighbor kids (for one day) or taking away her video game time. We haven't had enough time to see if that will make a difference. Taking away her friend time seems to be the most effective method so far, she's a very social creature (needs people around/attention from people all the time) but gets overstimulated easily and then out-of-control. It's hard to find a good balance.

super_grape

Thanks you two!!!
That helps alot...and off to the book store tomorrow for us!

She's soooooo much like I was at her age, I should also look into doing something with her diet as well - the quality of her diet could be greatly improved.

Anyhow, thanks again!

Holly

scatterbunny

That's definitely one I'll have to check out--Hayley is the princess of power struggles, LOL. I'm beginning to think in addition to ADHD she's got Oppositional Defiance Disorder. This child will argue with you about the color of the sky, just to be disagreeable. :( She will flat-out refuse to do what we ask, go out of her way to do the opposite of what we ask, and look us in the eye as she's doing it. It's always a challenge with her.

skaterbabs

That just sounds like spirited and strong-willed. CJ is ODD - trust me, if she was you'd know it. I wouldn't wish an ODD kid on anyone....

scatterbunny

I could go on, but don't have the heart to. Every single day with her is a huge struggle. Everything I've read lately on ODD fits her. I can't get any local MD to take my concerns of ADHD/SID/ODD seriously enough to give me a referral to a developmental ped or anyone else.

skaterbabs

Then definately try Feingold - that's where we've seen the biggest improvement, with the ODD behaviours.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Rebekah,

In Richmond (Henrico County??), can CJ qualify for special ed services with a diagnosis of ODD? I only ask because I know that some jurisdictions will let kids with ODD qualify under an ED eligibility, while other classify ODD and CD together, which does not qualify for ED services.

I don't know if CJ receives services anyway, so you may not know about Henrico COunty's policies. I was just curious...

Thanks!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Books

I like The Difficult Child and have used 1-2-3, Magic as well. Some kids respond really well to the "1-2-3, Magic" system.

scatterbunny

Feingold just seems so HARD. :(

I have been browsing a pretty cool site lately, it's an Australian site but still packed full of relevant information for Americans regarding food issues and how they correlate to behavior problems. If you scroll down past the sales pitch for the book(s) you'll get to blue boxes that are links discussing the different types of food additives that cause problems.

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/

skaterbabs

Patriot20171 said:
Rebekah,

In Richmond (Henrico County??), can CJ qualify for special ed services with a diagnosis of ODD? I only ask because I know that some jurisdictions will let kids with ODD qualify under an ED eligibility, while other classify ODD and CD together, which does not qualify for ED services.

I don't know if CJ receives services anyway, so you may not know about Henrico COunty's policies. I was just curious...

Thanks!

He gets some services through the school district (his dx is ADHD/ODD), but we're actually in Chesterfield/Midlo. so I have no clue what Henrico does.

skaterbabs

Jenny, FG just seems hard. In reality it isn't. if you go ahead and order the matierials it gets really easy because they tell you exactly which brands are OK, and even include a guide for eating outl.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Aahh.. that makes sense! He also has a diagnosis of ADD.

I didn't mean to pry. I really do appreciate your honesty. I am a special ed teacher and was just wondering how other jurisdictions handle the touchy subject of ODD and CD.

Thanks again for your honesty! I am always curious about other jursidictions...

Thanks!

skaterbabs

Jenny, the total is $80, but they do have financial assistance available.

Patriot, for us we focus on the ADHD behaviours with his IEP because since we've been doing Feingold the ODD behaviours have all but dissapeared.

scatterbunny

Thanks. :) I'm pretty safe to assume I'd also need a good chunk of $$ to spend on grocery items when we start, right? I'm sure I'll be replacing most of what's in the house already.

skaterbabs

It depends on how much from-scratch cooking you do already. We decided to use up what was already in the pantry and replacing the unapproved brands with approved ones in the next shopping trip because honestly tossing everything and starting over simply was not an option.
It takes a little longer, because you have to work through any additives that are in the unapproved brans, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC