Regent in Third Row of 2005 Suburban

#3ontheway

i have scoured this site and have found a similar question with no answer...but am having problems...

We have a 2005 Suburban, 2 kids and #3 on the way. Currently, our 4 1/2 year old (42 lbs) is in a Regent and our 2 1/2 year old (37 lbs) is in a Roundabout in the middle row Captain's chairs. Baby #3 is due in a few months and I think I want to put both boys in the third row and the baby in the second row (leaving a captain's chair for other passengers). We have attempted to install the Regent behind on of the captain's chairs but our oldest has NO leg room. We are at a loss - we haven't played with the seat in the last few months - but either need to figure out how to install the Regent in the third row (and purchase another for youngest son) or we are going to have to purchase 2 new carseats that WILL fit back there with leg room for the boys.

Any suggestions - any one with similar issues on the 2005 Suburban, is there a trick with the Regent back there? We do not have the LATCH all the way back there.

We need help - baby #3 is due in 10 weeks and I am starting to stress about the car seat issue.

Thanks, in advance...

ADS

skaterbabs

When I put DD's Regent in the 3rd row of my '93 Suburban, she had enough room, but more often than not she just sat cross-legged in her seat or propped her feet on the seat in front of her.

Have you tried the Roundabout in the center of the back row (leaving the outboard postions open for your guests) and putting the Regent in the second row captain's chair?

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have installed a regent in the third row of an 04 and an 08. There is not much leg room, and it really bothered me at first but dd (#2- she is 5) usually sits cross legged or puts her feet up on the seat in front. I had to twist the belt stalk to get the best install, just FYI. It was bit of a bear the first couple of times I installed it, but it gets easier.

ETA - just remembered, if you fold down the second seat and stand in front of the third row and use your legs to push the regent back into the suburban seat it will get a better install and have a bit more legroom.

MoreLatte

Maybe you could put the Regent on the passenger side 3rd row, have the baby behind the driver, then keep the passenger captains chair folded down for more leg room.

I will tell you that I had a horrible time getting my Regent installed in the third row of my 05 Yukon XL! I needed to use the long belt path and the belt was NOT long enough! I worked on it until my back hurt and ended up making the parental decision to use short belt path. Even then, the seat was not tight enough. I really had no other option but to sell mine and ended up with a True Fit.

lovemyfamily

We have a Regent in the 3rd row, drivers side outboard, of our 2001 Yukon XL, which I think has the same interior as the 2005 Suburban. But I have the bench seat in the middle, not the captains chairs. We have it installed long belt path, and tethered, it is a pre-advisory Regent. At first it was a bear to install, but isn't too bad anymore. DS that rides in it is a tall 7yo and he never complains about leg room.
It would be hard to put the RA in the middle 3rd row, and still have passengers be able to squeeze in the outboard positions, should you need that, but that is an option.
Good luck.

U

Unregistered - #3ontheway

Thanks for the speedy replies!! I am a serious Britax advocator. We discovered Britax when our first son outgrew his infant carrier at 5 months old and I love the safety record of Britax. So safety being my first concern, I want to keep the Britax seats...however - I did purchase a monster of a vehicle for its size and safety (would rather be in this beast than just about any other vehicle on the road in an accident). All that being said - I have to make sure my boys are comfortable in our car as well as safe. I am starting to look at the option of selling my regent and purchasing 2 Graco Nautalis seats. They look pretty nice and will last us - might be the last seats I have to purchase for the boys...

As far as the position of the seats, both boys will wind up in the third row in the outside seats...and the baby behind the passenger (DH is tall and has the seat a little too far back for the baby seat on the driver's side when he drives).

All of this confusion being said - I am SO excited for our first little girl, I am trying to make sure we are prepared now!! :)

MoreLatte

I agree that checking out the Nautilus is a good idea. They most likely will give them more leg room. I, too love Britax seats and only had Britax convertibles for my youngest 3 until I bought the TF. But, all seats are crash tested and considered safe or they wouldn't be sold(with the exception of the overhead shields that I occasionally still see). Any seat that fits your child, fits your vehicle and is installed correctly will be safe. If the Nautilus works out, I wouldn't feel like I slighted my child because its not a Britax. Look at the problems people have had with the Regent and Frontier not installing well and harnesses not staying on the splitter plate. Britax seats are not always perfect for everyone.

And I am with you on the whole suburban thing. I know a lot of people hate big SUVs like mine on the road, but I :love:mine. In fact, we had a 7pass Suburban and recently bought an 8pass Yukon XL. I feel so safe in it! We actually call it "The Beast"

skaterbabs

You should have plenty of room behind the driver for your child's RF seat, even with the seat all the way back. Is the driver's seat reclined?

U

Unregistered - #3ontheway

My husband does recline the seat a bit so his hair doesn't touch the top of the car. Unfortunately - I had planned on him playing with all 3 of the seats a little today - but I just dropped it off for warranty work. So - I am eager to get it back so we can make some decisions about the seats.

Thanks for removing the guilt about trying a non-Britax seat! The Nautalis appears that it will last us too...We also affectionately call our suburban "The Beast" - it is a black motorsports edition so its a bit more souped up than a typical "mom-mobile" but that is one of the things I LOVE about it!! :)

I know we are going to try the Nautalis back there - I think I read that Babies R Us will let you try the seat out in your car - unfortnately it is a 40 min drive to the nearest Babies R Us...

Thanks everyone...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC