Question about feelings re: extended RFing

michele12

I'm new here, but am grateful to have found this site. And truthfully I am not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just curious if there is anyone else here who is not in huge favor of keeping their child Rfing.

Don't get me wrong, I kept DD#1 Rfing until 15 months and will probably keep DD#2 RFing about the same dependong on her size and what not, but probably not longer. With DD#1, I was in a serious car accident (we were rear ended while stopped and the truck that hit us was going 60 mph). Luckily DD's Roundabout saved her life and although she did have 2 broken legs,that was the worst of it and the accident was horrible. She was FF at the time, but they told me if she had been RF, there would have been severe facial lacerations, possible skull injuries, etc. So while I get there is less incidence of these types of accidents and that RF is best to prevent spinal cord injuries, I can't help but feel the way I do. Needless to say I only buy Britax seats now as well as Hondas since I feel these protected us from further trauma.

Again I would never propose to turn a kid around before the appropriate time, but just don't know if I would extend beyond that. Anyone else have similar experiences?

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I feel very strongly about extending rear facing. I dont believe a child would get any of the injuries you listed in a properly installed RF car seat (esp. a britax b/c of its top tether). The benefit to rear facing is that the whole shell takes the force from the child instead of the harness straps so there is more area to spread the force out on making less injuries and much less sever injuries. Your child was saved by the fact she was hit from the back, so when her body move towards the point of impact she was protected by the shell of the seat like in a rear facing accident. The top tether on the britax seats prevents the seat from rebounding (moving towards the seat back in an accident) so its unlikely your child would have gotten any head injuries. High speed rear end accidents are less common than other types of much more dangerous accidents. While your child was lucky in a accident FF, if the accident had been in reverse, your child may not have been as lucky b/c the forces would pull her neck away from her body.

My girls will RF until they outgrow every RFing seat available in the US. The spine is number 1 in my book for protection, i can handle scars and broken legs and other injuries that are possible with RFing seat but i cannot handle a paralyzed or dead child b/c i was too lazy to keep my child RF (i think turning before the seat limits is generally caused by laziness or lack of knowledge combined with laziness) I will struggle with my RFing convertibles in my 2 door for as long as i have to b/c i enjoy tucking my baby in at night and i dont like funerals.

melaniev

I only kept mine rear-facing till 18 months and 19 lbs (this was 9yrs ago and I was ignorant), and 13 months 22lbs or so. but like i said i'm only getting educated on car seat safety now, and they're both well past rear-facing limits.

my feelings are that the evidence is in favor of rear-facing longer than I did. i dont know enough to know HOW long it truly is safest though. thank god you and your baby are well after what sounds like a terrible trauma.

Maggie

I am a huge fan of RF. My dd will remain rf until she reaches the max weight limit regardless of her age. At the rate she's going she will be at least 3.

The facts are there. It's not a suggestion that rear facing is safest. It's a fact.

Michi

I understand the WANTING to turn them FF. It is really nice being able to see them and the convienience factor is huge -
Not to mention it takes up less 'space' in the car, but when all is said and done - I choose to leave mine RF because it is SO much safer.
My DH has an issue with this, ( The old...but the other kids did just fine when we switched them at 1 year...)but he never is the one actually installing the seats, so I just install them which ever way I want ( which, of course is RF!) ;)
My 3 year old is FF because she is 36lbs, but my 19 month old is going to be RF for a long time because she just hit 20lbs!

Longhorn Lady

I think that as with all decisions regarding children, there is no absolute that is perfect for every family and every child. I can see how being in such a horrific accident could alter the way that you view statistics. When you ARE the statistic and it involves your babies, I can totally see how that can effect your view of things.

That said, I was also in a very bad car crash where I was hit head on with an 18 month old RF in the backseat. She didn't have a scratch on her and it probably would have been a lot worse off had she been FF.

In MY car, RF is the way that I choose for children to be. But I understand that each family has to make decisions that are best for them :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We know it's a fact that kids who fit the weight & height limits are safest RF....

But, this too can be dependent upon other variables -- after the minimum 20# and 12 months, *if* every other conceivable healthy/safe method of behavior modification & positive discipline, etc. are not eliminating the child's screaming which then causes the driver to be severely on edge throughout every ride or repeatedly taking his/her eyes off the road to make sure kiddo isn't secretely unbuckling or having a seizure (for example) & another adult can't sit in the back to monitor, THEN turning FF could be safer....

However, I feel strongly enough about RF to encourage such parents to revert back to RF on occasion in hopes that the novelty of throwing a fitt has worn off :eek: Leila was RF on-n-off till 4 years old: she had been FF a couple times in between there for various reasons, which would be rather long-winded to explain at the moment :rolleyes:

In general, I am adamantly FOR extended RF & it's actually pretty rare IMO that creative methods of inspiring kids to appreciate it doesn't work out :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I certainly sympathize with the original poster's harrowing crash experience but I'm all for extended rear facing. My baby turned one today and she has weighed over 20 lbs. for at least two months, but I will not be turning her FF any time soon. Based on the overall crash statistics and the all too many crashes DH and I have been involved in personally, none of them rear enders, and the overwhelmingly strong importance of protecting the spine, my youngest DD will rear face to the rear facing limit of her seat. I would RF her even longer and move my eldest back to RF even if something else ever becomes available to rear face them beyond the currently available options in the U.S.

I can't say for certain how I would feel if we had been in such a severe rear end crash. I still have nightmares and near panic attacks from our crashes, and turning my baby FF before she outgrows the seat RF is not an option I could handle, knowing what I know.

Here's a compelling post with photos to illustrate spine development in children, presented as strong additional evidence for rear facing on the BB carseat board at: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=44503&mesg_id=44503&page=2

Again, my sincerest sympathies to the original poster for what you've been through.

skaterbabs

I've been in far more than my share of crashes and if there was a US seat that would allow my DD to still be RF, she would be.
Why? Internal decapitation.

michele12

Thanks so much for the responses and the well wishes.:) And again I'm not trying to debate or dispute facts that exist as I'm well aware of them. I think the point I was trying to impress was that my experience made me feel this way. Again I would NOT move a child before the appropriate time ever, but my accident has left me feeling this way. I guess I was also wondering if anyone had had a similar experience such as this that might have affected their thinking.

And as far as my DD's "potential" injuries if she were Rfing: we were hit so hard in the rear that everything in the cargo (covered and secured) was forced forward which pushed the back seat as well up and out of place. We also rolled over several times into a ravine which caused these things to shift. So everything like the stroller, umbrellas, etc. would have caused injuries, not anything seat related. DD remained in her seat, still attatched to the car's seat, completely harnessed despite the displacement of the car's seat. Sorry for the TMI detail, but I felt I needed to clarify why I was told what I was told. And let me tell you that an 18 month old with 2 broken legs in a body cast for 7 weeks was horrible and not easy to handle in the least, but thankfully she is still here , it wasn't worse and is doing fine. Seeing a child hurt in anyway is just awful. There have been psychological ramifications though as a result of the is accident for both of us.

My accident, a freak one at that and not all that common. One hopes that lightening never strikes twice, but it has instilled such fear in me and thankfully a better awareness at car seat safety. I always knew the importance of seats, but now I really know.

In case you might be wondering, I have been in treatment for PTSD since this happened 2 years ago.;)

Thanks again for sharing the opinions and for the empathy.

ETA- I am in the camp of keeping my almost 4 yr old 5 pt harnessed though as long as possible in that monster of a Regent!

scatterbunny

I would NOT move a child before the appropriate time ever

I totally respect your choice to do what you feel is right based on your own research, experiences and opinions. However, someone on another board posted some great pics comparing a 1-year-old's verterbrae and a 6-year-old's vertebrae, it clearly shows that a 1yo's bones are not fused yet. The poster is taking a Human Osteology course for an anthropology degree and these pictures, along with the information that a child's vertebrae are not fused until 3-6 years old, were posted on another board. I was blown away, because this is physical proof that a child's body has not matured to withstand the forces of most crashes when forward-facing.

It really is all a crap shoot. You have to take into account the statistical probability of the different types of crashes and try to protect yourself from the most common and most deadly. We really could drive ourselves crazy trying to predict what will happen and how to protect ourselves from ALL possible scenarios. :p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Car crashes can leave a profound emotional mark! I had a sedan go sideways on me once on some icey swerving cliff roads :eek: so I am terrified of roll over :( But, RF is safer for side, roll over (both more fatal than rear) & front (the most common) ... however, a top tether for use RF (such as on the Britax convertibles & Sunshine Kids Radian) provide added help for rear end collision :)

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It is recommended nothing be in the cargo area that could injure your child in a crash, I know this may not seem practical at times in a vehicle with an open cargo area but it something we recommend parents consider. In your particular vehicle and needs of having heavy cargo maybe ff is the best choice for your family?

Many vehicles have high seat backs that prevent cargo from too much shifting when tied down or even trunks which eliminates this concern altogether.

Like other posters have stated we can't protect our children from all the what ifs and even in th best scenarios injuries and deaths do occur. However since stastically research shows in MOST crashes a child is safer rearfacing it is the recommendation of Safe Kids and AAP. One of the big concerns is damage to the spinal cord which can not be reversed while facial trauma would be horrific from being struck by cargo a child can heal from it usually.

It's always a tough decision either way you go:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC