CAR SEAT PSA-and new, please read!! :-)

blondiecbm2005

Hey guys! I'm new here, im 21 years old, no kids, but i am very very very close with the family i babysit for. I am worried crazy about the kids, mostly the 2 year old. She is 33-35 pounds and her mom will take her out of a 5 point harness when shes 3 (unless i can convince her otherwise) and she also doesnt properly strap her into the harness now anyway.
I am in total agreeance that children should remain rear facing as long as possible, and in a 5 point as long as possible too!!
So for my video class at school (im a tv prod major) we have to make a Public Service Announcement, and i choose to do mine on Car Seat Safety, with most emphasis on proper buckling and using 5 point harness past 40 pounds.
Any websites I can get recent crash stats on how many kids under 10 or 8 or something are killed every year while in boosters? i have 2005 stats but i was hoping for something more recent, like 2007 hopefully.

I also want to know what you think of my idea for my PSA:
*Open with a question, 'where would u rather spend your childs next birthday?' show pic of chuck-e-cheese, or then show cemetary pic (my professor said a strong opening is good)
*then ill go "every year X number of kids are killed...." few facts...
*then footage of me properly strapping my 2 year old neighbor in step by *step showing how the straps should be placed and everything
*crash test footage
*me stopping short or something and a doll not properly strapped in my car flying out of the seat (maybe)
*what you need to do to keep your child unharmed in an accident
*mini photo montage with other facts and pictures of crashed cars and car seats

what do u guys think?
sorry so long, any and allll ideas greatly appreciated!!!
(im still new to this!)

ADS

The Bjorns

Except for the fact that I have never met a parent who actually wants to spend any time at a Chuck E. Cheese, I think your ideas are good.

I don't think you'll have much success with trying to get a doll to fly out of a car seat. If the footage just prior to that is crash test footage, then I think that's more powerful. Sure a doll will fly out of a booster, but they're so lightweight and small that it's not a good comparison and in an infant seat it is going to be pretty tough to simulate a crash just by stopping quickly.

Good luck with your project! I'd love to see the final result.

ctbcleveland

Blondie,

I recommend that you find a tech in your area to help you with your work. An instructor could provide you seats used for training and actually participate in showing how to properly buckle in a child. I would try to show the proper use in a variety of seats, including an infant seat, convertible RF and convertible FF.

Great to hear you are so committed to this. I was clueless before I had kids. I am so inspired by all the members of the board who are caregivers of other people's kids and are so thoughtful of child passenger safety.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree with the PPs. If you let us know what area you're in, there might be a tech nearby who can help.

I would also recommend possibly toning down the opening. There's a fine line between a powerful message and a sensationalistic one. Juxtaposing Chuck E Cheese and a cemetery might be a little too shocking. What about a hospital instead?

monstah

I just want to say that this sounds like a great video you are making and want you to know that there are many people on this board who would LOVE to see the final product.

Please spend as much time as possible here searching the old threads, you will find some great info.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

blondiecbm2005

thank u for all your responses :)

i want to focus on toddlers and 5 point harness safety, so i'm gonna stick to just that.

im from NJ

i'll def post it on youtube when im done

i want to do the chuck-e-cheese vs cemetary cause with a hospital, theyre just injured, u can have the bday party next year, but if they die, u can never get them back, and can never have another bday party again

i have seen the kyle miller video and havent showed my neighbor yet, i totally plan on it though!!

thank u!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC