Question What do I do about my neighbor, and her seats?

Erika Ruth

She has a safe seat for her just turned 1 year old. But, she has her 3 year old in a car seat with a shield. I think I remember talking with you guys in here about those seats being expired? She also didn't understand why I was such a freak about carseats, and told me her doctor told her it was totally fine to have her 12 month old 22lbs baby forward facing. (Yes, it is fine, just not best).

I had the kids in my car, and of course the 3 year old fit rear-facing in the Marathon and loved it. (I haven't met a kid that didn't love being rear-facing after forward facing).

I am thinking of giving her info on expired carseats, and extended RF. I know she won't turn her 3 year old back around, but I am hoping that I can convince her to get a Nautilus? That is the cheapest extended harness seat?

Erika

ADS

NannyMom

Believe it or not, there is 1 company still making a shield carseat. I think it's Cosco. Shield boosters are all expired though. I know many pediatricians are still telling parents to FF at 1yr and 20Lbs. :rolleyes:

While a carseat with a shield isn't my first choice, it is still ok to use with an older child (as long as they are withing the correct weight and height).

And yes, the Graco Nautilus would be a wonderful seat for her to buy. Maybe stress that it is the last carseat she'd ever have to buy that child (as it becomes a high back and backless booster).

Erika Ruth

Thank you. I'll check on her seat. I'll also kindly tell her, when she's ready, I'll help her find the best deal on a car seat. :) I think that will work. She was in shock that I have 5 car seats, and I use all of them! (I have 3 kids).

And... I still want a 6th... (I don't think I'll get that by the husband until spring...)

Erika

NannyMom

lol, then she'd really be astounded that I have 6 carseats for 1 child, and I'll soon be buying a 7th :whistle:

I heard the Nautilus is on sale for $122 on Amazon, and walmart's website has it for $129.

Andie

Believe it or not, there is 1 company still making a shield carseat. I think it's Cosco. Shield boosters are all expired though. I know many pediatricians are still telling parents to FF at 1yr and 20Lbs. :rolleyes:

While a carseat with a shield isn't my first choice, it is still ok to use with an older child (as long as they are withing the correct weight and height).

And yes, the Graco Nautilus would be a wonderful seat for her to buy. Maybe stress that it is the last carseat she'd ever have to buy that child (as it becomes a high back and backless booster).

Cosco has stopped making the shield seats as well.

The Nautilus is great, and very easy to install. The labels on the seat itself are VERY clear, and the chest clip actually shows where it should be positioned. I love those features as they show people who don't read the manual (though everyone should) the correct way to use it!

lovinwaves

Honestly? IME, if you value her friendship don't push the issue with her. I know it's tempting, but I have btdt. You have already mentioned to her you are a carseat fanatic. She has internet right? She can research herself.

Every blue moon I will send some of my friends emails regarding new CPS info. But in general I do not say a thing to them. They know I am here if they have a question or concern.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter

We carry the Evenflo tribute OHS at baby depot.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Um, no. There is a pediatrician in the area that does that for me, thank you. Pushes FFing in OHS before 1 yr old.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I heard that they stopped making them recently, but are still selling them until the stock runs out?

Yeah, I think that was announced at the ABC Kids Show?

Evenflo is still making them I believe though, unless I've just missed that announcement.

They haven't been manufactured for Canada since 2004 at the latest, so we're within 2 yrs of all of them being expired. :D Thankfully as it is now when they do come in to checks they usually are expired or else damaged, so we can tell parents to replace them anyways. ;)

Andie

Um, no. There is a pediatrician in the area that does that for me, thank you. Pushes FFing in OHS before 1 yr old.

Nice..
Because shield's are SO protective, right? :rolleyes:

Evenflo is still making them I believe though, unless I've just missed that announcement.

They haven't been manufactured for Canada since 2004 at the latest, so we're within 2 yrs of all of them being expired. :D Thankfully as it is now when they do come in to checks they usually are expired or else damaged, so we can tell parents to replace them anyways. ;)

I think I saw on the boards here that Evenflo quit making them too. *happy dance*

Now we just gotta wait 6 years..

Synchro246

Honestly? IME, if you value her friendship don't push the issue with her. I know it's tempting, but I have btdt. You have already mentioned to her you are a carseat fanatic. She has internet right? She can research herself.

Every blue moon I will send some of my friends emails regarding new CPS info. But in general I do not say a thing to them. They know I am here if they have a question or concern.

That's me as well. Especially since this friend is a neighbor I'd drop it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC