Reporting retailers selling expired carseats

shllywlly

I was in Kid to Kid (a consignment store) today and they had a cosco carseat with the manufacture date of feb 2001. It read on the tag "BOOSTER ONLY". I told the lady they were selling an expired car seat and the owner chimed in and said that the expiration was just for the harness and not for the booster part. (It was a combination harness and high back booster.) They had taken the harness off of it and were selling an expired booster. I tried to explain to her that the expiration applied to the entire seat and not the harness but she refused to listen to me. She goes "our regulations state that it's for the harness only." I finally left and told her that it was her liability.

Is there a place to report retailers who do this? Is there information I can send to her and the corporate office about this subject?

ADS

skaterbabs

There's really not a lot you can do from a legal standpoint, but I would encourage you to contact K2K corporate and make a complaint.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
I had a Wal-Mart near me sell a recalled Evenflo Discovery in August to an expectent mom. I contacted Evenflo and they said they would be sending a representative to the store to be sure that the did not have any others on the shelf. I also contacted the store, who said they would check to see if it was a recall that required them to pull stock and see if they had any more on the shelves. The poor mom was due in less than a week, and here I told her her brand new car seat was actually a year old and under recall! She was not happy, to say the least!

ETA: I just read it's a consignment store. I would contact corporate, but my local consignment store sells recalled seats, although they won't sell any that are over 5 years old. I'm not sure there is much you can do in this case.

vangelder03

I was in Kid to Kid (a consignment store) today and they had a cosco carseat with the manufacture date of feb 2001. It read on the tag "BOOSTER ONLY". I told the lady they were selling an expired car seat and the owner chimed in and said that the expiration was just for the harness and not for the booster part. (It was a combination harness and high back booster.) They had taken the harness off of it and were selling an expired booster. I tried to explain to her that the expiration applied to the entire seat and not the harness but she refused to listen to me. She goes "our regulations state that it's for the harness only." I finally left and told her that it was her liability.

Is there a place to report retailers who do this? Is there information I can send to her and the corporate office about this subject?
i was told the same thing by a kid to kid owner , she also said if you buy a new harness it was ok to use.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What state are you in?

In CA there WOULD be criminal liability as well as a fine just for selling it. I don't know about other places though.

shllywlly

I'm in VA. I called the corporate customer service line to complain. The lady I spoke with said they do have a policy not to accept seats that are more than 4 years old and the person their buying it from has to sign a form stating that they are the original owner and the seat has never been in an accident (Blah, blah, whatever).

I told her the seat had a DOM in 2001. She said that she would call the owner and remind her of their policies because the seat should not be on the shelf. So...I guess I got somewhere. Just wish I could stop them from selling used seats, but you take what you can get.

oursonend

i was told the same thing by a kid to kid owner , she also said if you buy a new harness it was ok to use.

It sounds like there is an inaccuracy in their regulations that is trickling down from the top, kwim? I agree with contacting the corporate office and letting them know that what they are teaching their staff is unsafe and illegal. It sounds like the whole regulation has to be reviewed.

skaterbabs

Which K2K is it? There may be a tech near you who can contact the local owner and reiterate the problems with the expired seats.

shllywlly

Hi Rebekah!!

It's Shelly from Richmond AP! I'm in Centreville, VA. Apparently, the corporate office said they would contact them and explain the rules again.

skaterbabs

Well, hello there! :)

Let me know if I can help in any way. I think the only K2K near me is the one by Commonwealth 20.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC