Question Ughh! Help me with the True Fit Harness!

4BabyUnit

I can't seem to get the harness on our new True Fit tight enough. Or at least it doesn't seem to stay tight. And I HAVE made sure that all of the slack is out of the bottom first (around her hips). I just don't get it. It doesn't even seem to lay flat against her stomach and chest....but only at her shoulders. Am I doing something wrong?? Every time I tighten it up, all I have to do is pull a little bit at the top near the chest clips and it gets looser.:confused:

ADS

crunchierthanthou

It doesn't even seem to lay flat against her stomach and chest....but only at her shoulders.

that's how it should be. It won't lie flat against her whole torso and you only need to check for tightness at the shoulders. It's fine as long as you can't pinch a horizontal fold there and there's no visible slack over the hips and stomach.

when you say

Every time I tighten it up, all I have to do is pull a little bit at the top near the chest clips and it gets looser.

does that mean the webbing is slipping through the adjuster? if so, that is a problem.

4BabyUnit

Thank you for that info. In answer to your question, it does not seem to actually slip through the adjuster. I basically have to pull on the tightening strap as hard as I can to get all the slack out, but then I can just pull on the harness anywhere near the top and it loosens up a little..just a little, but enough so that it is not as tight as it was when I pulled the adjuster strap as much as I could. I can't really explain it well. I will look more closely at what is happening and report back. It does not get so loose when I do this that there is slack in it.

The harness straps have never layed flat on the bellies of either of my skinny kids. Friends that have huskier children sit in the same seat and the harness looks tight everywhere. Also try adjusting the crotch strap to the smallest position to get a tighter abdominal fit.

4BabyUnit

Thanks Mom on a Mission for that additional comment. I have not messed with the crotch strap yet, as it seems to be in the idea location, but maybe I will play with that a little this weekend and see what happens.

To Crunchier...or anyone else reading this....the loosening may simply have to do with the fact that when I pull on the strap to tighten the harness, the strap is actually lifting the loosening lever up! Because it is rear-facing, I am unable to pull the tightening strap straight down or out because the back of my car's back seat is in the way. Instead, I have to pull straight UP on it. I have actually tried to tighten the strap without lifting that lever up, but it is impossible. Anyone else have this problem?

I think I know what you mean. I kind of sometimes have the same problem, but if I pull the harness strap larger, then tighten, even though I'm still pulling up on the strap in the RF position, it always tightens. Once you get the harness the right position, you should rarely have to adjust it, because with the loop harness you just pull each side as you put that arm in, and it should be even when your done - if that made any sense. Do you by any chance have the seat installed in bucket seat where the seat back reclines? If you do you can recline the seat back to access the adjuster better, then put it back.

4BabyUnit

Thanks, MOaM! It's at least nice to know I'm not nuts. It DOES make sense what you're talking about. I DO like the loop harness for that reason, but it's really hard to pull on for some reason. It's so awkward for me anyway right now, because I'm used to having her in the middle position, and now she is outboard, passenger side, and I hate it! It seems like everything is in my way....door frame, back of passenger seat...ick! I will get better at adjusting it the way you are suggesting I'm sure. No seat recline...it folds forward actually...Subaru Outback. That would be soooo nice! Wish I could put her in the middle position again, but I couldn't see her or touch her at ALL in the TF, and I just couldn't stand it. We have to drive 25+ minutes to work/daycare each way, and if I can't pat her on the head at a stop light or SOMEthing, it would be just one more hour out of my day that I don't get to see her...and there are enough of those as it is.

I think I know what you mean. I kind of sometimes have the same problem, but if I pull the harness strap larger, then tighten, even though I'm still pulling up on the strap in the RF position, it always tightens. Once you get the harness the right position, you should rarely have to adjust it, because with the loop harness you just pull each side as you put that arm in, and it should be even when your done - if that made any sense. Do you by any chance have the seat installed in bucket seat where the seat back reclines? If you do you can recline the seat back to access the adjuster better, then put it back.

One last thought...If you don't have it reclined to a 45 angle already, use a noodle to get a little more recline, which makes your harness adjuster a little less buried. A RF seat outboard in a smaller car (I also have Outback) is tight, no matter what. My kids have had lots of head bangs on the door frame. Oh well, better that than concusions or broken necks from accident-right?

4BabyUnit

Thanks! I will try that. She seems to NOT like being reclined anymore, but we'll give it a go. I know what you mean about those head bangs!

One last thought...If you don't have it reclined to a 45 angle already, use a noodle to get a little more recline, which makes your harness adjuster a little less buried. A RF seat outboard in a smaller car (I also have Outback) is tight, no matter what. My kids have had lots of head bangs on the door frame. Oh well, better that than concusions or broken necks from accident-right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC