News UPDATE Re: previous post "PLEASE, stay rear-facing past 12mos/20lbs "

luv2bfishin

Hi, Grandapa here!

First off, I'd like to thank all the people who have sent well wishes and prayers for Joel's recovery!!! THANK YOU ALL......so much!!

I also know, due to the hundreds of responses, and the fact that almost 9000 people have read this blog.......that ALOT of kids won't ever have to suffer this tragic injury!!

Joel's halo was removed saturday :) , and a custom fit plastic collar put on. Boy...you never seen a happier kid!!! He's raring to go. He's sitting up ALL the time, walking constantly with his therapists...up and down the halls, for a couple hours a day!!

he still has a few slight problems. His arms are still responding slowly, with limited movement. That was due to the shoulder injuries from the harness (brachial plexus injury). also, new developement with his lung / diaphragm. Seems a particular nerve (phenolic nerve) that comes out of the neck and goes to the diaphragm isn't working 100%. Your diaphragm helps your lungs to inhale and exhale, and if it doesn't work, it can lead to collapsed lung and/or pneumonia. But, he's doing okay. We're focusing on "blowing" excercises. I went out and bought all kinds of blowing things, like bubbles, horns, party favors (roll-out things when you blow them), pinwheels. He'll get through it, I'm sure.

So, I've attached a photo of Joel without the halo. Enjoy, and thank you all. The prayers have paid off!!

Oh, one more thing. I am very, very close to putting out a video regarding RF vs FF .....keep an eye out.

ADS

Lys

Senior Community Member
That smile is priceless! So glad he is doing better. That is such good news.

Kat_Momof3

oh, my god... it's such a miracle and brings tears to my eyes just to see that beautiful boy's smile.

I tell you, it scared me so much seeing him with the halo and looking so out of it before.

Maybe it's the mom in me... I just pictured my own child like that and felt all the worry and wonder of what he would be able to do and not be able to do.

Just having him able to hold his own head up and show how happy he is is enough for me, but I'm sure GOD has much more in plan for this brave little boy.

Okay... wiping away tears now.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I'm so glad he is doing well!

Does you (or anyone else) have a link to the original story? I have a few friends I would love to send it to!

emandbri

I'm so glad to hear he is doing so well! He is SOOOOO cute! Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us updated! We really appreciate it!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
What wonderful news! We're all sending Joel our best wishes for a continued speedy recovery!

Thanks for the update :)

raelynn

Senior Community Member
He has a wonderful smile. I'm praying he continues to recover, and appreciate you posting an update!

Blondie87

He looks so much better! I love that smile. I hope he continues to recover quickly! :)

I posted this on the other thread.. but I thought I would on this one too...

I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask or not.. but I have shared your story with alot of people and a few have asked me questions. Like if he was in a 3 or 5 point harness, what kind of carseat, if it was in the middle or outboard, or if it was tethered. I don't think any of these factors would have even made a difference, no matter what kids should stay RF as long as possible. But I just thought I should be informed when asked these questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC