Who gets what seat? Baby, 3 year, 6 year olds??

mom2RyErinBaby

I need your help, as my brain is overloaded with the options!
I have a 5 month old who HATES his infant carrier on trips over 5 minutes. So I need to move him to a convertible. I'll list the seats we own, kids and then give me any and all suggestions as to how to do this. I'm willing to buy new seats/boosters, but have no clue as to which seats will last us, be economical and functional! Ryan sits well in booster in town, but we make 35-90 mile trips at least once a week, we haven't yet let him sit in a booster for those.

I like the marathons, but also really like the true fit, but open to any and all suggestions on the best arrangements. We have 2 vans and like to have seats in each of them for each child.

KIDS
Ry--age 6 this month, 42 pounds and 42 inches--not sure of torso height, but he still fit in our old evenflo advance, with room to spare, but was over the 40 lb mark

Erin--age 3.5, 35 pounds, 39 inches

Ethan--age 5 months

SEATS
2 Marathons (Ryan in one, Erin in one), one expires 2009, other 2011
2 Evenflo Triumph Advances (40 pound limit), both expire 2009 (hate this seat!)
1 Radian 65--2014 expiration (would consider selling, as its a pain to install in our odyssey)
1 Vivo Lite booster

Okay, if you can figure this out for me, I'd be grateful, so I can sleep at night!
Megan

ADS

MomToEliEm

2 Evenflo Triumph Advances (40 pound limit), both expire 2009 (hate this seat!)

I thought the triumph advance seats had a 50lb limit on the harness. The original triumph had the 40lb limit.

What about this configuration:
6 year old:
Vivo booster
Marathon

3.5 year old:
Evenflo Triumph Advance
Radian (install it in the car where it installs well)

5 month old:
Marathon
Evenflo Triumph Advance

In 2009 when the Triumphs and marathons expire, you can buy a new seat then. If you really want to replace a seat now though, maybe get a frontier or nautilus for the oldest and pass some seats down.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
So, you need two seats for each child, yes?

Cheapest option (and still only temporary):
I'd say buy a Nautilus or Frontier for RY. That will easily get him to an age where he can use a booster full-time, and both convert to good boosters. OR it could be handed-down to Erin at that point and you could get Ry a dedicated booster.

Use the 2 Marathons and 2 Evenflos for Erin and Ethan.

More expensive option:

Since you said you hate the Evenflos, you could pass both Marathons down to Ethan, and buy two Nautiluses or Frontiers - one for Ry, one for Erin - and have Erin use the Radian in your other vehicle.

That's assuming you're not squeezing them 3-across in your second car, of course.

mom2RyErinBaby

I like the idea of getting 2 new seats, but may have to do it over the next few months. I know the triumph's only have 40 pound limits, so they may not be advances?

Are the nautilus and true fit the best options? I can wait till Jan. if a newer better seat is coming? Also what booster would you recommend if I were to move Ry to one now?
Thanks
Megan

BW1426

I like the idea of getting 2 new seats, but may have to do it over the next few months. I know the triumph's only have 40 pound limits, so they may not be advances?

Are the nautilus and true fit the best options? I can wait till Jan. if a newer better seat is coming? Also what booster would you recommend if I were to move Ry to one now?
Thanks
Megan

The Vivo is my favorite booster, but could you swing 1 Nautilus right now? They're on sale at Amazon.com for $129 with free shipping and no tax.

abacus2

If one car is used less, use the Vivo in that car, otherwise I'd buy a Nautilus for Ryan.

Ryan:
Radian
Vivo or Nautilus

Erin:
2 Marathons - she's close enough to 40lbs, I'd put her in a high weight harness so I didn't have to worry about it.

Ethan:
2 Triumphs - I think these are nicer RFing than FFing anyway.

In 2009 when the Triumphs and one Marathon expire, I'd pass down the other Marathon to Ethan and get him a TrueFit as a second seat, and either pass down the Radian and the Nautilus to Erin and get another Vivo for Ryan or buy 2 more Nautiluses for Erin. In 2011 when the other Marathon expires, pass a harnessed seat down to Ethan and buy another booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC